Author Topic: Why did Ainge downgrade Olynyk?  (Read 7822 times)

Re: Why did Ainge downgrade Olynyk?
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 09:34:18 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Take a look at the full quote:

“Kelly was a guy we think complements [Rajon] Rondo and Avery [Bradley] and Jeff ,” Ainge said. “He’s just a really good complementary player. He’s not a go-to guy. He’s not a star player. He’s a really good teammate-type of player for those other guys.”

On the one hand, Ainge is saying that Olynyk isn't going to be a better player than Rondo, which I don't think is a big deal.  On the other hand, I can see some fans freaking out because they interpret that as Ainge saying Bradley can be a star player.

If you remember Danny's last rebuilding effort, he had a habit of really talking up the guys he was getting ready to trade.  So this may be a good sign for keeping Olynyk.

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 09:35:01 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
Take a look at the full quote:

“Kelly was a guy we think complements [Rajon] Rondo and Avery [Bradley] and Jeff ,” Ainge said. “He’s just a really good complementary player. He’s not a go-to guy. He’s not a star player. He’s a really good teammate-type of player for those other guys.”

On the one hand, Ainge is saying that Olynyk isn't going to be a better player than Rondo, which I don't think is a big deal.  On the other hand, I can see some fans freaking out because they interpret that as Ainge saying Bradley can be a star player.
He's just lowering expectations on the kid. Makes sense. I'm sure in private he's telling him that in the NBA you go as far as you work.

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 09:50:11 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Trying to lower expectations for him, because by playing with Sullinger/Bass/Melo is going to lead to some ugly basketball at times.

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 09:52:18 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I don't expect him to be a star.

He can be a good player, but more than anything, this is just Ainge.  I think he likes to humble rookies coming in and in some ways I don't blame him really.

He basically said all the same things about Sully and I think Sully outperformed just about everyone's expectations.  The same is possible for Olynyk.  Lets just start from the ground level.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 10:00:37 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
With the trading of Pierce and Kg, Ainge didn't want fans to think he was replacing those two because those would be crushing expectations.

Still, with how the average fan was down on this pick I wouldn't mind it if Ainge did some hype for my guy Kelly. For those that like PER as a stat he had the best PER in college, with 30+ rating that is reserved for the likes of Lebron and Durant in the NBA. Obviously he won't be that good but I think he can be a solid starter for the next 10 years.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2013, 10:03:37 AM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
I just find extremely awkward that his new employer is telling the world that he's good but he'll never be that good.

Way to set the bar low, Daniel.

This is more damaging than tanking.

This is by far the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard on these forums, and people say some pretty ridiculous things around here.

That's right! Danny Ainge, with this one vague comment to a reporter at the beginning of the off-season, just single-handedly ruined this kids entire career! Kelly was on his way to multiple MVP awards until Danny opened his big mouth!

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2013, 10:38:16 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
With the trading of Pierce and Kg, Ainge didn't want fans to think he was replacing those two because those would be crushing expectations.

Still, with how the average fan was down on this pick I wouldn't mind it if Ainge did some hype for my guy Kelly. For those that like PER as a stat he had the best PER in college, with 30+ rating that is reserved for the likes of Lebron and Durant in the NBA. Obviously he won't be that good but I think he can be a solid starter for the next 10 years.

And really, by saying he expects him to complement the starters Danny is saying that he thinks Kelly can be a starter, which is pretty good coming from Danny.