Author Topic: Deadline Trade Ideas for Humphries  (Read 1804 times)

Deadline Trade Ideas for Humphries
« on: June 28, 2013, 01:18:03 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I don't know if anyone agrees with my perspective here, but I've been saying in a lot of threads that I actually do NOT look at Wallace as a "bad" contract.

#1 - We are tanking.  That's the entire point here.  We're trying to land a star in the top 5-10 picks of next year's draft that we can build around.  There are plenty of huge prospects available beyond Wiggins.

#2 - It took LeBron 3 years to make the playoffs and Durant 3 years to make the playoffs.  So fair to say we will not be a playoff team in 2014-15 either, right?  Even if we land Wiggins, we're not a playoff team until 2016-17 if he follows the Bron/Durant trajectory.  But let's assume we tank in year two as well.

... That means that in year 3, Wallace becomes an valuable asset.  He'd be an expiring contract that you could package with one of our MANY young players/draft pick assets to land a star.  That's essentially how we landed KG... we packaged young assets (Big Al, Gerald Green) with a big expiring contract (Theo Ratliff) to land KG.  Wallace will be our Ratliff in year 3.

#3 - Cap space is nice and can be used to great flexibility, but the idea of using cap space to sign a star player is unrealistic for us... it's also counterproductive to tanking.  So who cares if Wallace is sitting on our books for 3 years.

... So that brings me to my premise.  At the deadline this year, you might as well shop Humphries' expiring contract to a team looking to dump a bad contract.  Wallace's contract runs through 2015-16... so you might as well trade Humphries for a guy whose contract also runs through 2015-16... and try to pick up another draft pick in the process.

Also note that some teams might decide to dump salary for a run at 2014 free agents.

Examples I could fine:

Washington Wizards - Nene.  Makes 13 mil a year until 2015-16.  Think the Wizards would give up a future pick to get Nene off the books?  I could see it happening. Nene is 30 and not amazingly productive.

Denver - McGee - Makes 12 mil a year until 2015-16.  Kind of a headcase.  Could underperform this year.  Maybe Denver decides to dump his contract.  Would they give up a late 1st to do it?

Other ideas where the guys are probably too talented:

Portland - Batum -  Makes 12 mil until 2015-16.  Probably too talented.  I don't imagine they'd want to give him up.

GSW - David Lee - Makes 15.4 mil until 2015-16.   I mean... Lee's a big part of that team, right?  Do they want to hang onto him long-term or would they rather dump him at the deadline and have an insane amount of cap space to build around Curry in 2014?  I wouldnt' rule it out.

One last one... Amare's corpse is on the books for 23 mil a year until 2014/15 (only 2 years).  Would you trade Humphries + Bass for Amare's corpse and a 1st?  I would.  Why not?  Couldn't hurt.

Re: Deadline Trade Ideas for Humphries
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 01:22:50 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Yup, some good points!

That's the other part of this that a lot of people aren't getting.

It's not so much the players we got in return as much as it is collecting assets.

Don't get me wrong, if we keep the Brooklyn guys, then I am happy with it.

But now along the way, we also have more trade chips to work with than we did before.

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 01:25:13 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Wizards love Nene.  Denver fired George Karl pretty much for refusing to start Javale McGee.  Perhaps that will change after half a season.  If Nene gets noticeably older or McGee gets noticeably dumber.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 01:47:59 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I like the rumored that Humphries goes to the bobcats for Gordon.

Then at the trade deadline teams in the hunt for a ring could trade an expiring plus minor asset for Gordon.

Example GS Richard Jefferson + 2 2nds for Gordon
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 01:51:02 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
I like the rumored that Humphries goes to the bobcats for Gordon.

Then at the trade deadline teams in the hunt for a ring could trade an expiring plus minor asset for Gordon.

Example GS Richard Jefferson + 2 2nds for Gordon

Why couldn't we just ship Humphries's expiring contract for Jefferson and 2nd rounders, rather than trade Humphries for Gordon and then trade with GSW?

The Warriors have a far greater need for Humphries than Gordon anyway.

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 02:00:48 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I don't know if anyone agrees with my perspective here, but I've been saying in a lot of threads that I actually do NOT look at Wallace as a "bad" contract.

#1 - We are tanking.  That's the entire point here.  We're trying to land a star in the top 5-10 picks of next year's draft that we can build around.  There are plenty of huge prospects available beyond Wiggins.

#2 - It took LeBron 3 years to make the playoffs and Durant 3 years to make the playoffs.  So fair to say we will not be a playoff team in 2014-15 either, right?  Even if we land Wiggins, we're not a playoff team until 2016-17 if he follows the Bron/Durant trajectory.  But let's assume we tank in year two as well.

... That means that in year 3, Wallace becomes an valuable asset.  He'd be an expiring contract that you could package with one of our MANY young players/draft pick assets to land a star.  That's essentially how we landed KG... we packaged young assets (Big Al, Gerald Green) with a big expiring contract (Theo Ratliff) to land KG.  Wallace will be our Ratliff in year 3.

#3 - Cap space is nice and can be used to great flexibility, but the idea of using cap space to sign a star player is unrealistic for us... it's also counterproductive to tanking.  So who cares if Wallace is sitting on our books for 3 years.

... So that brings me to my premise.  At the deadline this year, you might as well shop Humphries' expiring contract to a team looking to dump a bad contract.  Wallace's contract runs through 2015-16... so you might as well trade Humphries for a guy whose contract also runs through 2015-16... and try to pick up another draft pick in the process.

Also note that some teams might decide to dump salary for a run at 2014 free agents.

Examples I could fine:

Washington Wizards - Nene.  Makes 13 mil a year until 2015-16.  Think the Wizards would give up a future pick to get Nene off the books?  I could see it happening. Nene is 30 and not amazingly productive.

Denver - McGee - Makes 12 mil a year until 2015-16.  Kind of a headcase.  Could underperform this year.  Maybe Denver decides to dump his contract.  Would they give up a late 1st to do it?

Other ideas where the guys are probably too talented:

Portland - Batum -  Makes 12 mil until 2015-16.  Probably too talented.  I don't imagine they'd want to give him up.

GSW - David Lee - Makes 15.4 mil until 2015-16.   I mean... Lee's a big part of that team, right?  Do they want to hang onto him long-term or would they rather dump him at the deadline and have an insane amount of cap space to build around Curry in 2014?  I wouldnt' rule it out.

One last one... Amare's corpse is on the books for 23 mil a year until 2014/15 (only 2 years).  Would you trade Humphries + Bass for Amare's corpse and a 1st?  I would.  Why not?  Couldn't hurt.

I think you are little confused when it comes to tanking. First of all, there's very little reason to believe that we are tanking. 

And second, if you want to tank, how does upgrading Humphries into Nene/Batum/Lee/Amare accomplish that goal? 

2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 02:02:13 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
snively... really?

"There's very little reason to believe we are tanking"