Author Topic: LeBron and Bird through the first 10 years  (Read 7665 times)

Re: LeBron and Bird through the first 10 years
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2013, 07:34:16 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
These Lebron (10 years in the league) comparisons are absurd. The guy was playing in the NBA at 19 years old. Bird was 23 his rookie year--so you are giving these older guys credit for years in their prime while using Lebrons stats as a kid. You want to make a fair comparison, start Lebron's stats at 23 and see how he matches up against guys like Bird and Jordan.

Looking at LeBron's early years helps him, it doesn't hurt him. If you want to be fair, throw out the Cavs years when he was putting up better numbers because his teammates weren't that great. All of his best scoring years were in that range. Take his Miami years and compare him to Larry at the same age. James put up 27/8/7, Bird put up 26/11/6.

It's also worth pointing out that Bird was never big on stats and could have put up better numbers than he did but he sacrificed his numbers for the good of the team.

The game is so different today. Back in the mid 80's, there were 10 guys every year averaging at least 25 per game. Last year, there were a total of 4 guys who averaged 25 a game.

And Lebron is every bit as unselfish as bird with respect to stats. You don't join a team with wade and bosh if you are concerned about stats

There were about as many players that averaged 25 a game in the last 10 years as there were in the 80s. Even if you didn't see the 80s you could have checked the stats.

« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2013, 07:50:39 PM »

Offline CeltsPride

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
These Lebron (10 years in the league) comparisons are absurd. The guy was playing in the NBA at 19 years old. Bird was 23 his rookie year--so you are giving these older guys credit for years in their prime while using Lebrons stats as a kid. You want to make a fair comparison, start Lebron's stats at 23 and see how he matches up against guys like Bird and Jordan.

Looking at LeBron's early years helps him, it doesn't hurt him. If you want to be fair, throw out the Cavs years when he was putting up better numbers because his teammates weren't that great. All of his best scoring years were in that range. Take his Miami years and compare him to Larry at the same age. James put up 27/8/7, Bird put up 26/11/6.

It's also worth pointing out that Bird was never big on stats and could have put up better numbers than he did but he sacrificed his numbers for the good of the team.

The game is so different today. Back in the mid 80's, there were 10 guys every year averaging at least 25 per game. Last year, there were a total of 4 guys who averaged 25 a game.

And Lebron is every bit as unselfish as bird with respect to stats. You don't join a team with wade and bosh if you are concerned about stats

There were about as many players that averaged 25 a game in the last 10 years as there were in the 80s. Even if you didn't see the 80s you could have checked the stats.

Yah, I don't know what that means

« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2013, 07:55:30 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

It's fairly simple. Figure out how many people averaged 25 a game every year in the 80s, figure out how many people average 25 a game over the last 10 years, figure out that your claim that more people averaged 25 a game in a given year in the 80s was wrong.

« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2013, 06:54:04 AM »

Offline CeltsPride

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1

It's fairly simple. Figure out how many people averaged 25 a game every year in the 80s, figure out how many people average 25 a game over the last 10 years, figure out that your claim that more people averaged 25 a game in a given year in the 80s was wrong.

I didn't make a claim, I stated a fact. Look at the scoring leaders from any year in the mid 80s and you will see 9 or 10 guys at 25+ per game. Look at the scoring leaders from any of the past 5 years and you will see half as many guys at 25 ppg.

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2013, 01:52:58 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Since you were both too lazy to look

79-80 - 5
81 - 5
82 - 4
83 - 4
84 - 6
85 - 8
86 - 5
87 - 7
88 - 9
89 - 9

09 - 6
10 - 7
11 - 7
12 - 4
13 - 5
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2013, 04:47:25 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

I didn't make a claim, I stated a fact. Look at the scoring leaders from any year in the mid 80s and you will see 9 or 10 guys at 25+ per game. Look at the scoring leaders from any of the past 5 years and you will see half as many guys at 25 ppg.

What I'm trying to explain to you is that if you actually look at the scoring leaders from those years you'll find that your "fact" is wrong.

« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2013, 04:48:48 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

79-80 - 5
81 - 5
82 - 4
83 - 4
84 - 6
85 - 8
86 - 5
87 - 7
88 - 9
89 - 9

09 - 6
10 - 7
11 - 7
12 - 4
13 - 5

Obviously I looked, that's why I said "There were about as many players that averaged 25 a game in the last 10 years as there were in the 80s". That's not from memory.

« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2013, 09:37:08 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

79-80 - 5
81 - 5
82 - 4
83 - 4
84 - 6
85 - 8
86 - 5
87 - 7
88 - 9
89 - 9

09 - 6
10 - 7
11 - 7
12 - 4
13 - 5

Obviously I looked, that's why I said "There were about as many players that averaged 25 a game in the last 10 years as there were in the 80s". That's not from memory.
I figured you had, but it was funnier to say what I said.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip