Author Topic: Why I No Longer Hate LeBron  (Read 7059 times)

Why I No Longer Hate LeBron
« on: June 21, 2013, 12:29:29 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It occurred to me a little while ago, as I watched the Heat close out one of my favorite non-Celtics teams in the league, the Spurs, that I no longer hate LeBron, or resent his successes.

This is something that's been going on gradually ever since LeBron eviscerated the Celtics in Game 6 of the Eastern Conference Finals last year.  My dislike of LeBron was such that it took a while.  It was a gradual process.  But now, I think, it's complete.

Please don't get me wrong -- I will never be able to root for the Heat.  I will never be happy to see them succeed.  The way the Miami Thrice was put together goes against everything I like about team building and management.  That's why this series was such an enticing opportunity.  The team that represents the "right way" to build a team and conduct yourself as a star in the NBA, the Spurs, were up against the anti-thesis of that.  I wanted the Spurs to win very badly.

But I think what has caused my feelings about LeBron to change over the past year or so is tied to the basic nature of my original dislike for LeBron.  He didn't seem to know what adversity was.

Here's this guy, who has every physical gift from God that any person could hope to have if they wanted to be good at basketball.  He's just a freak of nature, plain and simple.  He never went to college, probably never met a coach who he didn't view as just an adviser, another voice in his ear who he could choose to listen to, or not.  LeBron's ego is bigger than the moon, and he doesn't make any attempt to hide it.  He's also a guy that other players love to play with, and he puts up ridiculous numbers without ever being selfish.  But what was so infuriating about LeBron is that the guy was just so [dang] good, but he didn't seem to appreciate it, or have really worked all that hard for it.  The fact that at times the league did everything they could to make him a success only exacerbated that whole image.

That's why I always found myself wanting him to fail.  I wanted him to have to struggle.  I wanted him to get knocked down a peg.  I wanted him to take those ridiculous pre-game ceremonies and the dancing on the sidelines during blow-outs and shove them.  I wanted him to continually lose to teams that were built to win as TEAMS, not built to win by putting the ball in LeBron's hand and letting him make stuff happen.

What changed?  LeBron went through adversity.  He lost to the Spurs in 2007, the Celtics in 2008, the Magic in 2009, and the Celtics again in 2010.  He responded to that adversity by jumping ship from his hometown Cavs to Miami.  That only made him easier to hate.  Instead of facing up to adversity, he chose to run away from it and get some more talented teammates.  But he faced more adversity in 2011, when his team fumbled away a 2-1 lead in the Finals and he was lambasted as a fraud and a choker because of his lackluster performance on the biggest stage.

LeBron came back the next season and just played some of the greatest basketball anybody ever has.  Sure, he has some great teammates, but the majority of the Heat roster is still a bunch of role players who get to look a lot better than they are because LeBron makes it easy.  LeBron faced some more adversity, falling behind 3-2 to the Celtics in the Eastern Conference Finals because Paul Pierce hit a three pointer in his face.  It was a magical moment for Celtics fans.  Pierce, the guy who fell in the draft only to prove that he was a superstar, and who once got stabbed nine times and yet didn't miss a beat, the guy who carried undermanned, flawed teams deeper into the playoffs than he had any right to, the guy who earned a Finals MVP and made the 2008 Celtics his own team despite the fact that he wasn't the best player on his own team.  Pierce, in many respects the anti-LeBron.

What did LeBron do?  He came out in that Game 6 and had the best game of his life.  He stepped up to the challenge and proved why he's an all-time great.  He didn't just live off his talent and the favorable refereeing.  He went to another level, and nobody could match him. 

LeBron was not perfect in these playoffs, and he had some bad games in these Finals.  The Spurs are a great team, and their execution at times was seemingly unstoppable.  They did a great job gameplanning for LeBron and made him seem invisible for long stretches.

Despite that, LeBron responded to the adversity.  He had back to back incredible performances in Games 6 and 7, which were elimination games.  He hit big shots, including one of the biggest shots of his career -- that one quite calmly -- to put the Heat up 4 with less than a minute left in Game 7.

LeBron has earned our respect, and our praise, if not our fandom.  We may never truly like him, or be happy to see him win.  But the hating should be done.  The guy that was given every advantage and every opportunity to succeed throughout his youth and young adulthood has finally faced adversity, and by the way he handled it he proved he's among the best to ever play the game of basketball.

Hats off to LeBron.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: Why I No Longer Hate LeBron
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 12:38:32 AM »

Kiorrik

Since I wasn't watching NBA at that time - I wonder if MJ got the same "treatment" from non-bulls-fans NBA followers.

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 12:38:57 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
TP.

Also, Kiorrik:
My friends and I were talking about this after the game--all of us are too young to remember Jordan and his championship runs as anything other than THE COOLEST/WINNINGEST THING EVER, our local team affiliations totally secondary to the fact that we ate it up because he was amazing.

I still treasure my 1998 Chicago Bulls NBA Champs hat. Somewhere out there is some little kid that just had his mind blown by that epic series. That's probably more important than griping about how he bailed on Cleveland to play in Miami.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 12:42:03 AM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
Have a TP, sir.

To add: I'm not sure I ever hated LeBron; he's a very likable personality off the court.  I think I lost respect for him more than anything when he went to Miami.  So I didn't hate him, I just thought less of him.

And what it boils down to is he stepped up when it mattered.  That's what he was criticized for for years.  He did it, so show respect.  I now have some respect for him.

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 12:42:56 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Since I wasn't watching NBA at that time - I wonder if MJ got the same "treatment" from non-bulls-fans NBA followers.

Yeah, I've long thought that I would have hated the Bulls, and been really disappointed that there weren't more parity in the league.  But I think eventually I would have just reached a point where I appreciate seeing history being made by the greatest player ever.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 12:43:13 AM »

Online Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1574

no, he did not. i respected the heck out of MJ. i cannot stand lebum or crybaby flopper D wade or that whole heat bunch.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 12:43:32 AM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1490
TP for that.  I have to admit a begrudging admiration for LBJ as well.  Game 6 and Game 7 he was just amazing.  I really wanted the spurs to win, but you have to accept that he is the greatest player on the planet.  The Spurs gave it all that they had, and it just wasn't enough.  Lebron is just that good.

All challengers need to go through him for the next few years.  We'll see if anyone else can step up their game to that level to take the title.

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 12:44:12 AM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
Who is Lebron James?

i dont even know who that is..

sounds like a new sub at subway..

*sippin*

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 12:45:37 AM »

• Dennis Johnson

Yeah, I've long thought that I would have hated the Bulls, and been really disappointed that there weren't more parity in the league.  But I think eventually I would have just reached a point where I appreciate seeing history being made by the greatest player ever.

how old are you?
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 12:47:06 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 879
  • GOT IT!!!
I respect for Wade and dislike for LeBron completely reversed roles the last two seasons. haha

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 12:47:32 AM »

• Dennis Johnson
leonard blew game 6 with the missed FT. the spurs deserved this and miami knew it.  the hell with lebum. he will never garner my respect like MJ did.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 12:49:54 AM »

• Dennis Johnson
It occurred to me a little while ago, as I watched the Heat close out one of my favorite non-Celtics teams in the league, the Spurs, that I no longer hate LeBron, or resent his successes.

This is something that's been going on gradually ever since LeBron eviscerated the Celtics in Game 6 of the Eastern Conference Finals last year.  My dislike of LeBron was such that it took a while.  It was a gradual process.  But now, I think, it's complete.

Please don't get me wrong -- I will never be able to root for the Heat.  I will never be happy to see them succeed.  The way the Miami Thrice was put together goes against everything I like about team building and management.  That's why this series was such an enticing opportunity.  The team that represents the "right way" to build a team and conduct yourself as a star in the NBA, the Spurs, were up against the anti-thesis of that.  I wanted the Spurs to win very badly.

But I think what has caused my feelings about LeBron to change over the past year or so is tied to the basic nature of my original dislike for LeBron.  He didn't seem to know what adversity was.

Here's this guy, who has every physical gift from God that any person could hope to have if they wanted to be good at basketball.  He's just a freak of nature, plain and simple.  He never went to college, probably never met a coach who he didn't view as just an adviser, another voice in his ear who he could choose to listen to, or not.  LeBron's ego is bigger than the moon, and he doesn't make any attempt to hide it.  He's also a guy that other players love to play with, and he puts up ridiculous numbers without ever being selfish.  But what was so infuriating about LeBron is that the guy was just so [dang] good, but he didn't seem to appreciate it, or have really worked all that hard for it.  The fact that at times the league did everything they could to make him a success only exacerbated that whole image.

That's why I always found myself wanting him to fail.  I wanted him to have to struggle.  I wanted him to get knocked down a peg.  I wanted him to take those ridiculous pre-game ceremonies and the dancing on the sidelines during blow-outs and shove them.  I wanted him to continually lose to teams that were built to win as TEAMS, not built to win by putting the ball in LeBron's hand and letting him make stuff happen.

What changed?  LeBron went through adversity.  He lost to the Spurs in 2007, the Celtics in 2008, the Magic in 2009, and the Celtics again in 2010.  He responded to that adversity by jumping ship from his hometown Cavs to Miami.  That only made him easier to hate.  Instead of facing up to adversity, he chose to run away from it and get some more talented teammates.  But he faced more adversity in 2011, when his team fumbled away a 2-1 lead in the Finals and he was lambasted as a fraud and a choker because of his lackluster performance on the biggest stage.

LeBron came back the next season and just played some of the greatest basketball anybody ever has.  Sure, he has some great teammates, but the majority of the Heat roster is still a bunch of role players who get to look a lot better than they are because LeBron makes it easy.  LeBron faced some more adversity, falling behind 3-2 to the Celtics in the Eastern Conference Finals because Paul Pierce hit a three pointer in his face.  It was a magical moment for Celtics fans.  Pierce, the guy who fell in the draft only to prove that he was a superstar, and who once got stabbed nine times and yet didn't miss a beat, the guy who carried undermanned, flawed teams deeper into the playoffs than he had any right to, the guy who earned a Finals MVP and made the 2008 Celtics his own team despite the fact that he wasn't the best player on his own team.  Pierce, in many respects the anti-LeBron.

What did LeBron do?  He came out in that Game 6 and had the best game of his life.  He stepped up to the challenge and proved why he's an all-time great.  He didn't just live off his talent and the favorable refereeing.  He went to another level, and nobody could match him. 

LeBron was not perfect in these playoffs, and he had some bad games in these Finals.  The Spurs are a great team, and their execution at times was seemingly unstoppable.  They did a great job gameplanning for LeBron and made him seem invisible for long stretches.

Despite that, LeBron responded to the adversity.  He had back to back incredible performances in Games 6 and 7, which were elimination games.  He hit big shots, including one of the biggest shots of his career -- that one quite calmly -- to put the Heat up 4 with less than a minute left in Game 7.

LeBron has earned our respect, and our praise, if not our fandom.  We may never truly like him, or be happy to see him win.  But the hating should be done.  The guy that was given every advantage and every opportunity to succeed throughout his youth and young adulthood has finally faced adversity, and by the way he handled it he proved he's among the best to ever play the game of basketball.

Hats off to LeBron.

STOP SPEAKING FOR EVERYBODY KID.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 12:51:11 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I hate Lebron James more than ever, and I feel no need to justify my hatred with any rational reasoning.  I just hate him, and I'm perfectly happy with that decision. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 12:52:59 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I hate Lebron James more than ever, and I feel no need to justify my hatred with any rational reasoning.  I just hate him, and I'm perfectly happy with that decision.

Right, and I agree with you--LeBron is never going to be one of my favorite players--but you'd have to concede that he just finished playing a pretty amazing 99 games of basketball.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 12:53:51 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
if he would whine less to the refs, i wouldnt hate him so much. he expects to be treated by the refs with treatment.

How do you feel about wade?