Author Topic: Simmons: we want Bledsoe to try and flip him and Pierce for Josh Smith  (Read 7555 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I'd prefer to keep Bledsoe. I think he and Jordan could be really solid players if given the opportunity... especially alongside Rondo and Green. We would run like mad, and Bledsoe is such a nice back-up PG that we have lacked for years.

If you watch highlight reels of these guys, their athleticism is off the charts. Bledsoe literally makes no sense physically - he's absurd. That's exactly what you're looking for in a rebuild... they're exciting now, assets for the future, and both have potential to be groomed into very good players

I agree with most of what youre saying about Bledsoe and Jordan. However i dont think the ultimate plan is to keep him as a backup. With guys like this you basically have the chance to get a grasp of how good they can be behind closed doors in your training facility.
Bledsoe is touted by other GM's as a starting caliber star point guatd and this is why Danny wants him. He'll see if theyre right. But if it ends up that they are wrong, then he'll make surehis value and intrigue are still high and he's still desirable in future trade moves...he's brilliant at doing this with athletic 'potential' and guys like Jordan and Bledsoe at Boston will just look so much better because of how we make their strengths shine through and hide their weaknesses.
Case in point: kendrick perkins(defensively), tony allen, gerald green and a few more.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I don't think Ainge would tie up our cap space to build a 5th-7th seed non-contender. I'm not buying this. I do think that this trade is about building traders assets though.

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
I don't really like the idea of making this trade and then immediately going out and bringing in a max guy. I think thats a recipe for the 5-8th seed and mediocrity again.

I think the best thing we can do is collect these assets, move out all of veteran contracts and take next year to develop our young talent to see who can be useful for us going forward, what players fit together etc. I don't advocate for tanking, but ideally we would end up in the lottery to get another solid talent to add to the group. From there we start scouring the market looking for teams that are going to be losing their stars in free agency (Love/Aldrige etc) and try to put together a package with enough young talent that we can bring one in to pair with whoever stands out next year (whether that is Green/Rondo/Sully or Bledsoe and our picks or whatever).

I'm not going to say that a team as athletic as the one Bill Simmons suggested we might be attempting to put together isn't going to be able to win, especially given the youth and upside, but I don't think its going to vault us to contender status. Its rare to have that kind of quick fix.

If we are rebuilding, I want to see patience from the front office and hopefully we can take advantage of other teams' urgency (just like we would be with this LAC trade).

Offline Celticsbloke

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
Yeah, flipping Bledsoe to Atlanta to get Smith doesn't make a lot of sense to me when they have Teague. I also agree with others that Jordan and Smith can't coexist in the frontcourt because they have no range and poor FTs.

Getting Bledsoe to trade with Utah makes way more sense to me. They have a glut of nice bigs and have gone nowhere because their backcourt stinks. If we can offer them Bledsoe and Lee and perhaps cap relief via Pierce's contract, I think we can definitely get Millsap and perhaps even Big Al (I mean one or the other).

If the Celtics could convince KG to play one more year, you could run most of the season with Big Al, Sully and Bass taking most of the minutes, then break out a fresh KG for the post-season.

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Yeah, flipping Bledsoe to Atlanta to get Smith doesn't make a lot of sense to me when they have Teague. I also agree with others that Jordan and Smith can't coexist in the frontcourt because they have no range and poor FTs.

Getting Bledsoe to trade with Utah makes way more sense to me. They have a glut of nice bigs and have gone nowhere because their backcourt stinks. If we can offer them Bledsoe and Lee and perhaps cap relief via Pierce's contract, I think we can definitely get Millsap and perhaps even Big Al (I mean one or the other).

If the Celtics could convince KG to play one more year, you could run most of the season with Big Al, Sully and Bass taking most of the minutes, then break out a fresh KG for the post-season.

You can't break out a fresh KG for the post-season if he's playing for the Clippers.