Author Topic: For me, the thrill is gone and the fire is out....  (Read 2191 times)

Re: For me, the thrill is gone and the fire is out....
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 07:20:26 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I will always love the celtics. The idea of del negro and a bunch of role players like they might have with no pierce or kg makes me very sad.

I am not sure in can be all in if they hire a bum like del negro. He is a loser.

I feel. this way too......there has to be better coaches than Vinnie. willing to coach the C's

He is a huge step backwards .    Should have been interviewing Hollins  while Doc  was off plotting against hits former team

Good chance to get a better coach and dump the turd Rivers all at once.

Hollins is the better coach..he just doesn't have KG on his coat tails be led around like the pied piper or something

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 07:28:48 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
How easily some are bumped from the bandwagon.   It's a business, grow up.

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 07:47:01 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
The only sport that seems to have figured it out is football, with far fewer free agents and far less roster turnover.

The NFL may be the worst for this.  The last of HOF caliber players that finished their careers for other teams is very lengthy.  Montana, Manning, Favre, Rice, Dorsett, Unitas, Namath, Franco Harris, Alan Page, Cris Carter, OJ Simpson, Emmitt Smith, Earl Cambell, Thurman Thomas, etc, etc.

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 08:13:12 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The only sport that seems to have figured it out is football, with far fewer free agents and far less roster turnover.

The NFL may be the worst for this.  The last of HOF caliber players that finished their careers for other teams is very lengthy.  Montana, Manning, Favre, Rice, Dorsett, Unitas, Namath, Franco Harris, Alan Page, Cris Carter, OJ Simpson, Emmitt Smith, Earl Cambell, Thurman Thomas, etc, etc.
Yep.  Even Peyton Manning left and he was the Colts.  Ray Lewis and Jonathon Ogden both were drafted and retired in Baltimore.  It looks like Tom Brady will have that as well, but I really can't think of another recent future HOFer to stay on one team his whole career.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 08:30:55 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
How easily some are bumped from the bandwagon.   It's a business, grow up.

I call it J.L.F.S.   jilted-lover fan syndrome.

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2013, 08:48:48 AM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37

Yep.  Even Peyton Manning left and he was the Colts.  Ray Lewis and Jonathon Ogden both were drafted and retired in Baltimore.  It looks like Tom Brady will have that as well, but I really can't think of another recent future HOFer to stay on one team his whole career.

The problem is you have guys like Brian Urlacher, who still have something left in the tank, but whose teams are ready to move on and offer them contracts that (in their opinion) are insulting and below their standard.

So in order to retire with the same team you've been with from the start, you've either got to take a limited role (when you think you are capable of still playing a larger role at a high level) or retire.

And most of those HOF level guys, like the ones mentioned above, just can't walk away when they have that competitive fire in them and they can't stand taking a back seat to some young kid who is going to take "their" spot/playing time.