Author Topic: Trading Rondo?!  (Read 2708 times)

Re: Trading Rondo?!
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 01:46:26 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
Danny has said countless times he will not trade rondo unless its for a superstar in return. end of story.

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 01:50:58 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I care about the name on the front of the jersey more than the name on the back.

It all depends on the return.  I'm a fan of Rondo and will enjoy watching him wherever he goes.  But if trading Rondo is one of the steps that accelerates the rebuilding process and gets us back to contending for titles, then I'm all for it.   

That goes for any Celtic.  Nobody is untouchable if the return is favorable for the franchise as a whole.
But thats just so illogical. Rondo is better than any player he would bring back in a trade and any sum of draft picks the celtics would hypothetically receive for him.

Asserting that Rondo is better than any player he'd bring  back (directly or in draft picks) is equally, if not more illogical, especially owing to his ACL injury.

Now, you can say that trading Rondo straight up for any other point guard in the league is a bad idea. That's probably true. Do you similarly veto a trade Rondo for a LaMarcus Aldridge/Kevin Love/DMC-level big?

I don't consider any of those three guys to be on Rondo's level as basketball players. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 02:04:02 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I care about the name on the front of the jersey more than the name on the back.

It all depends on the return.  I'm a fan of Rondo and will enjoy watching him wherever he goes.  But if trading Rondo is one of the steps that accelerates the rebuilding process and gets us back to contending for titles, then I'm all for it.   

That goes for any Celtic.  Nobody is untouchable if the return is favorable for the franchise as a whole.
But thats just so illogical. Rondo is better than any player he would bring back in a trade and any sum of draft picks the celtics would hypothetically receive for him.

Asserting that Rondo is better than any player he'd bring  back (directly or in draft picks) is equally, if not more illogical, especially owing to his ACL injury.

Now, you can say that trading Rondo straight up for any other point guard in the league is a bad idea. That's probably true. Do you similarly veto a trade Rondo for a LaMarcus Aldridge/Kevin Love/DMC-level big?

I don't consider any of those three guys to be on Rondo's level as basketball players.

Fine. Do you trade Rondo for a player like Shaq circa 2001? What about Hakeem? A Bird? A McHale?

point being--the idea that there's no one you'd trade Rondo for is silly, as far as "basketball reasons" go.

If you're a fan, and Rondo's your favorite player, then you're well within your rights to say you wouldn't trade him, but I think it's important to acknowledge that when you discuss the idea.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 02:09:49 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Fine. Do you trade Rondo for a player like Shaq circa 2001? What about Hakeem? A Bird? A McHale?

point being--the idea that there's no one you'd trade Rondo for is silly, as far as "basketball reasons" go.

If you're a fan, and Rondo's your favorite player, then you're well within your rights to say you wouldn't trade him, but I think it's important to acknowledge that when you discuss the idea.

Put the trade machine in the time machine and start pressing the buttons.  We need more plutonium to power the flux capacitor. 

I mean, really?  Logic?
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 02:11:09 AM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
iv said it all along. the year we trade rondo is the year he comes out and wins the MVP. He is that capable. Maybe when the time comes and he doesnt have Paul and KG to lean on a different rondo will out.

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2013, 02:16:05 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Put the trade machine in the time machine and start pressing the buttons.  We need more plutonium to power the flux capacitor. 

I mean, really?  Logic?

::)
Like (adjective)
Definition of LIKE

a : the same or nearly the same (as in appearance, character, or quantity) <suits of like design> —formerly used with as, unto, of <it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren — Heb 2:17(Authorized Version)>

I guess it's worth repeating--the posters who have suggested trading Rondo have almost all given the caveat that it depends on who/what comes back in that trade.

So, yes, on the one hand people are saying "sure, we could trade Rondo," but no one is saying "yeah let's just trade him for twenty-five cents on the dollar"
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2013, 02:45:07 AM »

Offline bobbyv

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
I like Rondo as much as anyone on here. Look at my posting history.

But I'd still trade him.

1. To improve the Celtics
2. To send Rondo to a better team.

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2013, 04:14:25 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
You guys need to stop disrespecting rondo. He was having an amazing season, and made the all-star east team as a starter. Its not very often teams get the benefit and luxury of an multiple time all-star in their prime on their team, and you guys just want to trade him for gortat and peanuts? haha wow.