Author Topic: If this is our team next year  (Read 3207 times)

Re: If this is our team next year
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2013, 04:03:32 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Paul Millsap

yup......there will be trades of some sort to get him if the a clips send Bledsoe

some bodies getting traded for another Big....... Rondo for Cousins,  Milsap or something shakes down ......I can just. feell it coming

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2013, 04:03:56 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
you really thnk that team has so little talent that they would win only 25games?

Yes.  I think that's the point... full-blown tank mode.

That roster has like one effective scorer in Jeff Green.  Sully and Bradley are insanely overrated here.  Both are basically bench players.  Bradley is going to get exposed as a starting SG... dude is way too small.  Sully is a nice little role player.  You're losing the epicenter of our defense in KG and replacing him with some 25 year old overpaid stiff who averaged 4 points, 6 rebounds and a block in the playoffs.  You're replacing the only guy who can create his own shot (Pierce) with... someone to back up Rondo?  Team would be awful.  Ceiling on that team is 38 wins and a sweep in the first round.   People forget that we were below .500 before Rondo went out with an injury.   We're probably missing the playoffs regardless of what we do.

38 wins and a sweep in the first round won't get us Wiggins.
How wonderfully observant of you.  Way to go.

38 wins and a sweep in the first round would be the ceiling of the team.   More likely they win a lot less than that.  And if they let Rondo take his sweet time coming back, we could win less than 25.

Ouch, the snarkiness!!

I'll be pulling for at least three or four wins above your ceiling, and at least another round in the playoffs.

Would you sincerely rather make the playoffs with 41 wins, have zero shot at a title, and get stuck with the 16th pick in the draft... just prolonging our mediocrity...  or would you rather tank the season and land a top 5 pick with a tiny bit of potential of landing Boston's next franchise player?  I'd strongly prefer tanking.

Poorly kept secret... in 2007, we were intentionally trying to lose games.  Pierce was told to stay home.  Doc was told to throw games and force-feed minutes to young players to showcase them and improve their trade value.  Doc was 100% a company man... doing what was best for the health of the team.  There's a reason why he wasn't fired after the horrible season... he was just doing what Ainge asked of him.   Ainge is basically asking him to do the same thing this year.  The problem is, Doc's a big time coach at this point with big time credibility throughout the league.  I can't seem him coaching another intentionally bad season when so many teams would to have him at the helm of a legit contender.

Yes.  I'd highly prefer winning 41 games and losing in the first round to intentionally losing games to try for a top two lottery pick. 

By the way, while we are making predictions with 13 win differences, mine is 33 to 46--that's with the current roster, minus KG.  Once we see what the roster looks like going into the season, I may re-adjust my "prediction."
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2013, 04:11:25 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
you really thnk that team has so little talent that they would win only 25games?

That roster has like one effective scorer in Jeff Green.  Sully and Bradley are insanely overrated here.  Both are basically bench players.  Bradley is going to get exposed as a starting SG... dude is way too small.  Sully is a nice little role player.  You're losing the epicenter of our defense in KG and replacing him with some 25 year old overpaid stiff who averaged 4 points, 6 rebounds and a block in the playoffs.  You're replacing the only guy who can create his own shot (Pierce) with... someone to back up Rondo?  Team would be awful.  Ceiling on that team is 38 wins and a sweep in the first round.   People forget that we were below .500 before Rondo went out with an injury.   We're probably missing the playoffs regardless of what we do.

38 wins and a sweep in the first round would be the ceiling of the team.   More likely they win a lot less than that.  And if they let Rondo take his sweet time coming back, we could win less than 25.

Ouch, the snarkiness!!

I'll be pulling for at least three or four wins above your ceiling, and at least another round in the playoffs.

Would you sincerely rather make the playoffs with 41 wins, have zero shot at a title, and get stuck with the 16th pick in the draft... just prolonging our mediocrity...  or would you rather tank the season and land a top 5 pick with a tiny bit of potential of landing Boston's next franchise player?  I'd strongly prefer tanking.

Poorly kept secret... in 2007, we were intentionally trying to lose games.  Pierce was told to stay home.  Doc was told to throw games and force-feed minutes to young players to showcase them and improve their trade value.  Doc was 100% a company man... doing what was best for the health of the team.  There's a reason why he wasn't fired after the horrible season... he was just doing what Ainge asked of him.   Ainge is basically asking him to do the same thing this year.  The problem is, Doc's a big time coach at this point with big time credibility throughout the league.  I can't seem him coaching another intentionally bad season when so many teams would to have him at the helm of a legit contender.

Yes.  I'd highly prefer winning 41 games and losing in the first round to intentionally losing games to try for a top two lottery pick. 

By the way, while we are making predictions with 13 win differences, mine is 33 to 46--that's with the current roster, minus KG.  Once we see what the roster looks like going into the season, I may re-adjust my "prediction."
Cool.  I guess you enjoy rooting for a perpetually mediocre franchise.  Different strokes, I guess.  I wasn't a huge fan of the Walker/Pierce Celtics.  It wasn't that much fun rooting for a team that too bad to win anything and too good to land a savior in the draft.   It wasn't until 2007 when we intentionally tanked that we finally allowed ourselves to bottom out and give ourselves a 3.5 year window of contention.  Now it's back to the dregs of mediocrity.  No thanks.  I want more from the Celtics than to just be on a par with some dumpy franchise like the Bucks.

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2013, 04:20:37 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Ouch, the snarkiness!!

Cool.  I guess you enjoy rooting for a perpetually mediocre franchise.  Different strokes, I guess.  I wasn't a huge fan of the Walker/Pierce Celtics.  It wasn't that much fun rooting for a team that too bad to win anything and too good to land a savior in the draft.   It wasn't until 2007 when we intentionally tanked that we finally allowed ourselves to bottom out and give ourselves a 3.5 year window of contention.  Now it's back to the dregs of mediocrity.  No thanks.  I want more from the Celtics than to just be on a par with some dumpy franchise like the Bucks.

While the Pierce Walker Celtics weren't a great team, they were a lot of fun. That ECF run was thrilling at the time.

Now, of course, changing expectations and all that, I think we've come to view making the ECF as par for the course for this team.

Personally, if this it it, so it goes. I'd love to see Pierce and KG retire in green, but that's my selfish fandom, and if they want to keep competing instead of hanging it up they'll almost certainly have to do it somewhere else.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2013, 04:25:41 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
That team at best is a 7 or 8 seed, depending on how quick and how well Rondo gets back, how well the young players improve and if we are able to get anything out of our rookies.

Assuming we are able to get rid of two of Terry, Lee and Bass we will have cap space after the 2014 season. Some of you have said you can't see the upside of a first round exit. To me the upside is if that young core plays well they are more likely to be able to draw a good free agent.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2013, 05:00:27 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
I think 25-38 wins is overly optimistic.  That team would be Bobcats bad.  Less than 30 wins for sure.

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2013, 05:26:27 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I think 25-38 wins is overly optimistic.  That team would be Bobcats bad.  Less than 30 wins for sure.

Are you taking 16 to 29, then? 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2013, 05:38:26 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I'm coming around to the rebuild mindset finally  but I don't think I'll let Doc go unless we get Bledsoe AND a 1st round pick from LAC. DJ, Bledsoe and a 1st gets it done for me. Doc is a REALLY good selling point to FAs and that is worth it's weight in gold in the NBA. Oh yeah and he's the coach our moody PG loves so it's a fair assumption that if Doc goes then Rondo is probably on the block too.

I'd also trade PP to a team wanting to clear space for Howard (Dallas or Houston probably). For example, Marion/Carter/Collison and the 16th. If they waive PP that saves them 10M this year and puts them in the FA market for Howard as well as letting PP go where he pleases.

Then we dive and try to get Parker or Wiggins. I'm fine watching my team tank for a year or even two. It's better than pulling a Utah Jazz and sneaking in playoffs or barely missing and letting their roster deteriorate over the last decade (or two). Remember the one year they tanked at 27 wins they got Derron Williams...

Less than a month ago I wanted to run it back and add a reasonably good post PF (Millsap, Smith, West). Now I'm seeing the end coming like a freight train and I'm sort of trying to find a way to hop on without being splattered. We'll see what happens but I hope we don't end up in limbo like we were post-Bird.

My point for this post is that the rosters listed in the previous posts probably won't be accurate come January. If we move Doc, KG and PP then we're probably moving Terry and Rondo too.

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2013, 07:11:57 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Rondo/Bledsoe
Bradley/Lee
Green/Butler
Sullinger/Bass
Jordan/Melo

If we get Bledsoe, then Bradley won't be the starter. 

Marion/Carter/Collison and the 16th.

Why would you want to get this old?  Thank heavens your not our GM.

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2013, 10:15:25 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Rondo/Bledsoe
Bradley/Lee
Green/Butler
Sullinger/Bass
Jordan/Melo

If we get Bledsoe, then Bradley won't be the starter. 

Marion/Carter/Collison and the 16th.

Why would you want to get this old?  Thank heavens your not our GM.

If they trade KG and Pierce, Rondo will be recovering at least until the All Star Game. I doubt Bledsoe will play a single game for the Cs even if the Clippers send him, because he might be at the top of his trade value, and Danny would flip him as soon as he could.

About Marion and VC, they would be traded also for trade exceptions/picks/young players ASAP. VC to the Grizzlies for Ed Davis could be interesting, and Marion could have value to a team trying to contend/save money. The Dallas pick, #13 this year, could be also help the Cs. Not a bad trade.

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2013, 10:17:01 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Rondo/Bledsoe
Bradley/Lee
Green/Butler
Sullinger/Bass
Jordan/Melo

honestly, that team has enough talent to be a playoff team with the right coaching and if they buy into defense...but most likely they are a first or second round exit..

that team needs a #2 or #1(depending on what you consider rondo) scorer

No Terry?!?
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"