Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
Just got home and got it.

So far I'm very disappointed :/

It seems like it's just Kanye screaming and auto tuning over distracting noises

This.

I was a huge Kanye fan when he first came out. "Through the Wire" blew my mind. Dark Twisted Fantasy was the last music he made I really enjoyed. I feel he has fallen a long way in skill and effort. His enormous success has bred a sense of arrogance and almost laziness IMO.

Why listen to Kanye when there are extremely talented new kids such as J Cole and Kendrick Lamar?

Very much agree. Besides K Lamar lol
DKC Suns

Re: Yeezus
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2013, 09:52:49 AM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
in my eyes best kanye album out yet. Masterful. Aswell as this album IMHO Puts kanye west in Top 5 All time artists, Arguably Top 3, Not only one of the best producers we have ever seen but trend setter along with just straight out rapper.

-DonJP

I know I everybody is entitled to their own opinions but come on. Top 3 artists of ALL TIME? In any genre? Please. This is coming from a huge Kanye fan.

Bro you have to look at his whole body of work, from the outside of music, from the inside of it, from the producing, who hes produced for, what songs hes produced, what people hes worked with, what songs hes written, what songs hes rapper , what trends what genres, the guys done it all, all in his own way, the guy is the only rapper all time to have a song about Jesus Christ and have it played on the radio, that by itself says alot. The fashion hes done. Bro, late registration, graduation, Watch the throne, dark twisted fantasy and now yeezus all can be argued as all tremendous albums from start to finish, im not even a huge kanye fan, im just acknowledging that we are listening to someone who in 20-30 years from now people are going to try and be making music like him.

Kayne isn't even close to being in the top ten hip-hop/rap artists of all time. Let alone any other genre of music.
^This

The sad thing about Kanye is that he will spout off all the stuff bleedGREENdon just did about himself without you even asking him. He compared himself to Steve Jobs last week. Not even close. The dude is an absolute egomaniac who's hyped himself more than his biggest fans. His fashion line failed and he has embarrassed himself on numerous occasions because he is so up his own hole. I personally really dislike the man as a person.

That being said I can't hate on his music because he made College DropOut, Late Registration and Graduation some of my favorite albums. He has produced some great stuff as well.

But ALL TIME? Psh please. He's not in my top 10 hip-hop/rap artists. MAYBE top 15.

That all can change with time and perspective, but right now he's not there.

As for Yeezus I'm still digesting it. I was already put off by the title, but I'm really just not into the auto-tune stuff and screaming. I'm definitely going to give it a few more listens, Kanye is really talented and any time a guy like him takes his stuff in a new direction I think you got to give it a chance.

I think he may have overreached on this one though.

idk if you guys are advant listeners of hip hop/rap but for ya to say he isnt even top 10 of hiphop thats offensive haha but to each his own you guys are judging him on his ego, his ego is what makes his music beautiful, you can hear the confidence in his music, a depressing artist can only last so long in the industry, kanyes been here for a long time. product after product. Sale over sale, been pushing the bar higher and higher.

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2013, 06:22:09 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Get out of here with that misspelled nonsense, you're out of your depth.

Any way you slice it, from the classic to the contemporary, here are more than ten rappers, groups, and producers who are more important to hip hop than Kayne West:
Nas.
Jay.
Guru.
Rakim.
The Wu Tang Clan.
The Beasties.
Tupac.
Biggie.
OutKast.
NWA.
A Tribe Called Quest.
Native Tongues
Afriika Bambata.
The Sugarhill Gang.
Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five.

And on and on, if you catch my drift.

Now, Kanye has produced a handful of great songs, and rapped exactly one (Jesus Walks, but by and large his rapping has always, and will probably always be, pretty awful) but don't let his incessant self-aggrandizing fool you into giving him props way out of perspective with his actual achievements.

edit-Whoops. Mistyped Native Tongues as Native Sons.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 06:28:48 PM by D.o.s. »
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2013, 06:43:47 PM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
in my eyes best kanye album out yet. Masterful. Aswell as this album IMHO Puts kanye west in Top 5 All time artists, Arguably Top 3, Not only one of the best producers we have ever seen but trend setter along with just straight out rapper.

-DonJP

I know I everybody is entitled to their own opinions but come on. Top 3 artists of ALL TIME? In any genre? Please. This is coming from a huge Kanye fan.

Bro you have to look at his whole body of work, from the outside of music, from the inside of it, from the producing, who hes produced for, what songs hes produced, what people hes worked with, what songs hes written, what songs hes rapper , what trends what genres, the guys done it all, all in his own way, the guy is the only rapper all time to have a song about Jesus Christ and have it played on the radio, that by itself says alot. The fashion hes done. Bro, late registration, graduation, Watch the throne, dark twisted fantasy and now yeezus all can be argued as all tremendous albums from start to finish, im not even a huge kanye fan, im just acknowledging that we are listening to someone who in 20-30 years from now people are going to try and be making music like him.

Kayne isn't even close to being in the top ten hip-hop/rap artists of all time. Let alone any other genre of music.
^This

The sad thing about Kanye is that he will spout off all the stuff bleedGREENdon just did about himself without you even asking him. He compared himself to Steve Jobs last week. Not even close. The dude is an absolute egomaniac who's hyped himself more than his biggest fans. His fashion line failed and he has embarrassed himself on numerous occasions because he is so up his own hole. I personally really dislike the man as a person.

That being said I can't hate on his music because he made College DropOut, Late Registration and Graduation some of my favorite albums. He has produced some great stuff as well.

But ALL TIME? Psh please. He's not in my top 10 hip-hop/rap artists. MAYBE top 15.

That all can change with time and perspective, but right now he's not there.

As for Yeezus I'm still digesting it. I was already put off by the title, but I'm really just not into the auto-tune stuff and screaming. I'm definitely going to give it a few more listens, Kanye is really talented and any time a guy like him takes his stuff in a new direction I think you got to give it a chance.

I think he may have overreached on this one though.

idk if you guys are advant listeners of hip hop/rap but for ya to say he isnt even top 10 of hiphop thats offensive haha but to each his own you guys are judging him on his ego, his ego is what makes his music beautiful, you can hear the confidence in his music, a depressing artist can only last so long in the industry, kanyes been here for a long time. product after product. Sale over sale, been pushing the bar higher and higher.

I'm an avid listener of hiphop/rap and saying he is in the top 10 all time is offensive to the other rappers that you are leaving off that list. Check out who Dos mentioned and he didn't even get to Eminem, Dr. Dre, Eazy-e, Snoop, Ice Cube, Public Enemy, Big Pun, LL, Mos Def, Talib and the list goes on.

Now I'm not going to argue with you that Kanye shouldn't be in the conversation, its all subjective at the end of the day, especially when you are talking about the greats. But top 5? top 3?? HELL NO.  Thats just insane.

On top of that his personality is just annoying. He thinks he is top 5 probably, which just goes to show you how egotistical he is. He isn't on Jay's level, he isn't on Nas' level, he isn't on Biggie's level, he isn't on Tupac's level, he isn't on Rakim's level and he isn't changing the game up to be so influential that he is in the conversation with them.

Yeah his confidence comes through in his music and is probably why some of his stuff is amazing, but the man needs a reality check because he is starting to get on my nerves.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 07:32:03 PM by connor »

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2013, 06:47:13 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Word to the wise--you'd probably be better off referring to yourself as an "avid" listener of hip-hop. Or a "ferverent" fan of hip-hop.

Advant, uh, doesn't mean what you're trying to make it mean. In fact, it's not even a word.

Unless you're looking for "avant," as in "avant-garde," which, since we're talking about Kayne West, I sincerely doubt.
 ;D
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2013, 07:31:15 PM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
Word to the wise--you'd probably be better off referring to yourself as an "avid" listener of hip-hop. Or a "ferverent" fan of hip-hop.

Advant, uh, doesn't mean what you're trying to make it mean. In fact, it's not even a word.

Unless you're looking for "avant," as in "avant-garde," which, since we're talking about Kayne West, I sincerely doubt.
 ;D
Don't be that guy.

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2013, 08:38:13 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

;D
Don't be that guy.

He types after he edits his post. ;D

I actually have no idea what an "advant" is.

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2013, 09:00:46 PM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown

;D
Don't be that guy.

He types after he edits his post. ;D

I actually have no idea what an "advant" is.
You point out an error and I'll fix it. Slip of the tongue because he said advant (I think I may have ****ized avid and ardent in my mind to come up with avant), but nevertheless still don't be that guy. It's petty, especially given the disregard for grammar on this board to begin with.