Author Topic: An honest letter to everyone about LeBron James  (Read 46476 times)

Re: An honest letter to everyone about LeBron James
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2014, 12:25:41 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Everything Lebron is being accused of by the "haters," past superstars has been guilty of at one point in their careers.  A lot of criticisms thrown at this guy is ridiculous and stupid.  We idolized KG for his willingness to win at all cost (rightfully so), and that includes dirty plays as long as we get a W, but the same people would turn around and criticize Lebron for arguing calls or flopping (something a lot of superstars of the past has done).

KG was notoriously known as being a "a guy teams hated to play against but would love to have on their team". Lebron is notoriously known as a flopper, something KG had never been associated with. it even became an internet sensation with kids copying Lebron's act. I don't ever recall past greats ever being associated with being a flopper, ever.

have past greats benefited from "superstar calls"? absolutely. I don't recall a past great having the rules changed to benefit them though. a couple yrs. ago they changed the travel rule to now you can take 3 steps after Lebron's crab dribble came into question.

in fact when Shaq was dominant they changed the rules to try and make him less dominant. they added a 5 sec. rule when posting a player up and backing him down.   

He's played five season minutes in four seasons, way way more minutes than anyone in the league has played.  He has carried the Heat for three years straight all by himself and people are still criticizing him.  He disappears?  Are you kidding me?  How many points did he have in his disappearing act?  Please tell me.  He's been the only greatest consistent player in Heat uniform for three years straight with everyone just going along for the ride.  He's had little to no support in that duration.  Despite the big three label, he's being the only one doing it all.

this is such a cop out of an excuse when people defend Lebron, it's sickening. it was almost bearable when he was in Cleveland. the excuses stopped when he went to Miami.

I hope people would stop this Lebron hating nonsense.  He deserve every accolades thrown his way and deserve to be compared to Jordan because that's the only player worth comparing to Lebron.  Yes, he is that great.

Jordan never called up karl Malone and gary payton to come save his reputation. he didn't need to and he did it with less.

the criticism is completely fair. he didn't have to get "king" tattooed on him before playing a game in the NBA. he didn't have to tell us he's going to win 7 - 8 championships.

I'm very sure Lebron is also that guy players hate to play against but would love to have on their team.  I'm sure all his teammates shares that sentiment.   Point is KG and Lebron does what they do because of their competitiveness.  They will stop at nothing to win.  KG is probably more competitive than Lebron but it's thesame formula and it's for the same goal.  For them, it's about getting that edge.  It's ridiculous to praise one player for his antics but ridicule the other for his when they both share the same mentality. 

I didn't know they changed the travel rule to 3 steps.  Is there any proof to this or you're just making an assumption?  I would like a credible source for this claim.  I'm not saying that you're lying, I just didn't know.  So anything to back this up would be great. 

He's been carrying Miami just like he was carrying Cavs back in the day.  The talent around him in Miami is obviously better than the ones he had in Cleveland but it still doesn't negate the fact that he's being the one carrying that team for the past couple years now.  Jordan had way better help and talents around him (and better coach) when he won those championships.  Lebron did it with less talent support.

I thought people would actually respect the fact that he respects the legends before him enough to seek their helpful opinions.  It means he wasn't caught up in his own hype and didn't think he's a superman.  This approach makes me respect him even more because it shows his maturity among other things.

He didn't have to get "King" tattooed on him?  Who cares what tattoos he gets?  Seriously, who cares?  Mohammed Ali...the greatest EVER in sports and one of the greatest human being to ever walk the planet earth in my opinion was the biggest trash talker in sports history.  He arrogantly thrashed his opponents and verbally pushed the envelop and talked so BIG about himself that it's borderline sickening but he backed it up in the ring.  It took Lebron a year after he said those words, but he's backed it up as well and his career is not over yet.  Ali did it with grace and with style that is comparable to none.  Lebron is already a legend in his own right and I respect him for that.

Whatever minor mistakes he made in the past, he's paid for them one way or another and it shouldn't have any bearing on his legacy.  We're all human and we make mistakes.  Move on.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 01:15:15 PM by Clench123 »

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2014, 12:35:27 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
Also, Lebron's reputation among the players he's played with is far better than Jordan's reputation among the players he's played with.  Better than Kobe's as well.  It's besides the point but I thought I should point that out.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my

« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2014, 12:56:49 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Good Post (TP).

While I appreciate LeBron and his talent, I'll also appreciate seeing Tim Duncan, Coach Popovich and Co Give LeBron James and Co. The Business today, lol.

I'm sorry - call me an Old-Head if you wish, but I'll NEVER place LeBron in the same category as Larry, Michael, Magic, Dr J, Kareem, Moses, Hakeem - for me, the guys I just mentioned were not only among the top 10 or so players in the game - but they COMPETED against one another.

The 80s (and the 90s to some extent) were the Golden Age of the NBA. The best competed against the best.

Nothing against LeBron...it's not his fault he wasn't born in the 80s.

If the Spurs can close the deal tonight, I will celebrate MIA's defeat, and Spur's title...without batting an eyelash.

And I'll tell my boys 20 years from now - "Sons, LeBron was indeed a GREAT player, but let me tell you my memories of the 80s".........

« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2014, 01:25:29 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

He's been carrying Miami just like he was carrying Cavs back in the day.  The talent around him in Miami is obviously better than the ones he had in Cleveland but it still doesn't negate the fact that he's being the one carrying that team for the past couple years now.  Jordan had way better help and talents around him (and better coach) when he won those championships.  Lebron did it with less talent support.

When the Cavs lost to Boston in Bron's last year in Cleveland, it was NOT the case that he was great and the team let him down.  When Miami lost to Dallas in the Finals, it was NOT the case that Bron was great and his team let him down.  This year, LeBron has had one great game in the Finals and one great quarter.  The other 11 quarters, he's been as responsible for the losses as anyone not named D. Wade.

LeBron is a great player.  When you're trying to rank the greatest ever, those are the sorts of things you must take into consideration.

Mike

« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2014, 01:26:58 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
If for nothing else, you can at least brag and tell stories about how you were his fan in his prime and watched every one of his greatest and historic moves in games that people will see on youtube videos a long time from now.

One of those must be  must be that legendary move where either Jordan or the messiah releases....catches a pass at half court...And without a dribble takes it to the hole for a thunderous dunk...And two points...In front of two of the three fans dress as officials.

« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2014, 01:29:36 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I don't think anyone here ignores that he's a generational talent, and that he's one of the 2 best players in the league today. I know he's crazy talented and he will go down as one of the all time greats. But I do root for him to lose.

And I don't know if anyone shares the same sentiment as me, but the biggest turning point of what really turned me off him was when he moved to Miami (regardless of that hideous 1-hour special). If you're an all-time great, there's something about you having to win it all on your own terms. It would've been like Michael Jordan playing for Houston to team up with Olajuwon. Not saying he shouldn't have had better teammates, but Wade was practically on his "level" or his peer, such that when the team formed, people wondered how the team would be like and who would take the lead. That's what "tarnished" him for me, and which cemented his "unrootable"-ness.

I don't know if I'm conveying my point correctly. I just got off the plane and am still quite groggy but hopefully I'm making sense. Maybe someone could polish up my point if they get what I'm talking about. Lol

- LilRip

« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2014, 04:31:10 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I didn't know they changed the travel rule to 3 steps.  Is there any proof to this or you're just making an assumption?  I would like a credible source for this claim.  I'm not saying that you're lying, I just didn't know.  So anything to back this up would be great.

it was '09, it was in fact reported that they changed the rule but later the NBA had to clarify(which I didn't know till now) that they didn't change the rule or how it was enforced but made tweaks to it:
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/9963/traveling-violation-nba-on-rule-change

Rodman and Horace Grant were 2 of my favorite players back then, Grant was way underrated, Rodman is one of my all time favorite players ever that didn't play for the Celtics. but as great as I think they were they weren't ever considered to be 2 of the top 5 players in the league at that time.

Wade & Bosh were 2 of the top 5 players at the time they formed their big 3.

Pippen and Kucoc were great players. i'll even give you Pippen as a top 5 player during that era. but you'd still have to put Malone or say Payton? on that Bulls team to compare the 2 situations. I will go out on a limb though and say if Jordan played with Malone and Payton they may have won 10 rings.

« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2014, 05:40:51 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
In their primes and both ( James and Jordon) are most likely past their primes( I think LeBron starts to decline if they lose this series), who do you think wins one on one?   My money would be on Jordan.

Jordan was a way better scorer than James.

« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2014, 06:01:16 PM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
badshar, I understand what you're trying to say.  And I'm one that hates a lot of the things I've seen from him as it applies to him joining the Heat.

But I do have to acknowledge his talent and wonder whether or not if the Heat somehow win this series will there be talk of him being the "greatest" NBA player ever?  If he is on fire for three games and somehow that inspires the Heat to pull off the greatest turnaround in history, what will it say about him as a player?

Respecting and liking will always be two sides of the same coin IMO.  I may never like him, or respect everything about him...but I would have to give him his props if they somehow win the series.

Rak

« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2014, 06:06:52 PM »

Offline staticcc

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
In their primes and both ( James and Jordon) are most likely past their primes( I think LeBron starts to decline if they lose this series), who do you think wins one on one?   My money would be on Jordan.

Sadly, basketball isn't about 1 on 1.
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Bunk

« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2014, 06:44:50 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Sadly, basketball isn't about 1 on 1.

Who told you that your grade school coach?

Most, good basketball players are decent at one on one and scoring since the league is mainly man to man defense.    Even the spurs guys who move the ball can score on the one on one situations their passes create.  Most offenses are attempts to create isos in the NBA which require beating your man one on one.

« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2014, 06:46:14 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen

It's a tough one but my money would be on Lebron.

...and Lebron hasn't past his prime

« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2014, 06:53:25 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
in fact when Shaq was dominant they changed the rules to try and make him less dominant. they added a 5 sec. rule when posting a player up and backing him down.   

This is called the "Mark Jackson Rule" for a reason.  Shaq wasn't taking 5+ seconds to back a guy down, because a double would've come by second #3 at at the latest.  He generally attacked very quickly to try and bulldoze his way to the rim.

Mark Jackson would back a smaller guard down all the way from the 3 pt line to the paint, taking 10-15 seconds or more.  They didn't change the rule because he was dominating that way, but because it made for really boring, tedious basketball.

« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2014, 06:55:35 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
He's a statistical anomaly. His size, speed, strength and co-ordination are incredibly rare.
What's amazing with Lebron is that he's managed to improve his game from being just a bulldozer who puts his head down and shoulder barrells his way to the free throw line. He's become a good shooter over time. Some of the enormous shots he's hit to carry those Heat teams were just sickening. He's become such a smart player, and in my eyes is the modern day version of Magic Johnson with his overall game. I will go there and say he's better than Magic Johnson, and about on the same level as Bird.

It annoys me when people say 'he teamed up to beat everyone when they used to do it fairly'. What a load of crap. Magic, Bird and Jordan's support casts were incredible. Wade has been about as good as Pippen for 2 of these 4 finals.
Look at Larry's supporting casts...how would Larry or MJ or Magic fare with team mates playing like this years Heat are?

I will honestly never forget game 6 in Boston in 2012 ECF. 45 points, 15 rebounds, 5 assists and shot something like 20 of 26 field goal attempts. Their next best scorer was D Wade with 17 or 18  points.
Lebron is a legend, and is 100% in the same conversation as guys like Larry, Jordan, Magic etc..he's a generational player with a mix of skill, intelligence and consistent huge performances that turn franchise players into hall of famers.

Don't forget how good this Spurs team is either- it's up there with the great teams in NBA history. His sidekicks have let him down this season. I'd argue that none of these guys on his team have been anywhere near as effective as Pippen was for Jordan in the NBA finals.

I will say I think Lebron hasn't taken control on his own enough in these finals. He seems so focused on trying to beat the Spurs by getting everyone involved on the Heat that he's over looked opportunities to score and punish the Spurs. You can see Kwahi Leonard go under screens instead of over the top, and Lebron will have a wide open 12 foot jumpshot- something he needs to take and at least try and hit a few of to make them think about coming back over screens- yet he visibly goes into the jumpshot motion and stops and almost thinks out loudly 'they want me to shoot this, I'm not going to fall for that', and he dishes off to another player.

He needs to stop trying to get everyone else involved and just attack the basket and get to the line. Once he starts getting to the hole, that's when the defense will start collapsing on him and his team mates will get wide open looks. Something's just not there for the Heat this year and the Spurs have made Lebron over think things a little bit too much in my opinion. ( Which I have no doubt this was Popovich's aim in the first place).

Wade is cooked, Bosh has been mediocre and Chalmers and Ray Allen have been complete duds too. If Jordan's team mates had played this poorly he wouldn't beat this Spurs team either.
It's just surprising they're so fried because they had an easy run to the finals and yet they can barely make a rotation on defense.

But yeah I agree with the OP.
LBJ= Living Legend.
I want the Spurs to win because I love Popovich, but Lebron's team mates haven't done their jobs this season and there's only so much that one man can do against an offense like San Antonio's  when it's firing on all cylinders.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2014, 08:06:56 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Nah. I hope he seriously declines after this season.

He whines everytime he drives to the hoop and no foul call was made.

Excuse me Mr. Lebron James, the Stern era has passed, Adam Silver (IMHO) wants changes. And that means you no longer are the fair-haired boy.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;