Author Topic: An honest letter to everyone about LeBron James  (Read 46473 times)

Re: An honest letter to everyone about LeBron James
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2014, 08:03:02 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
(BUMP)

Gut check tonight for him and your letter.

« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2014, 08:39:51 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
"We are all witnessing a legend, who the future generations will look back in the same way like we do for Bill Russel, Wilt Chamberlain, Shaquille O'Neal, Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Robert Parish, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Julius Erving and many others. These are all known as very good players and as legends and 10-20 years from now, when the future generations look back, they will see LeBron as one of the greatest to ever play. People will wish they could see him play, just like we wish we could see players like Bill Russel, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan and others play."

Are you kidding me? it's for this very reason that I can't stand him. future generations will just see the highlights. they won't see the coward that he is, as soon as things get tough he disappears.

as for him "maturing"? this is completely untrue he hasn't matured at all since his Cleveland days, he just got better players to play with. 

« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2014, 09:34:08 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I think you can appreciate LeBron and still dislike him. Is LeBron the best player in the NBA today? Yes. Do I think LeBron is ridiculously lame as a person and find his behavior on the court very off-putting? Yes.

Acknowledging his talent and disliking him are not mutually exclusive things. I just find him unlikeable because I think he is not a chill dude at all.
Well stated. Tp for the concise yet precise post. I agree. It is not "hate", but simple dislike for a childish, self-absorbed basketball player who is not a likable person.

I don't lose sleep over James, I simply don't really respect him as a person, but it would be foolish to say he is not an incredibly talented player.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2014, 09:34:34 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
He still is a choker

I dislike him so much, but choker, I think not.  The difference between him and  magic, bird, Jordan, they knew what it took to win, they had an intense fire to win, and they made others around them better.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2014, 09:39:16 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
I can't appreciate Lebron either. is he talented? yes. is he the best player in the league today? probably.

i'd rather be with out Lebron than have ever seen him play.

« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2014, 10:05:31 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
The Best players in the league changed the game, in one way or an other. LeBron really hasn't. He's a freak athlete, shoots decently from the out side, and maybe the best track down blocker in a fast break. But he can't take a hit with out crying and checking for blood for a half hour, bulls his way with offensive fouls to get to the hoop, and travels every chance he gets. Oh and he doesn't foul out.

Difference between Lebron and guys like Bird,Jordan,Magic,Ewing,etc is that they didn't team up with two of the top 10/15 guys in the league to win. They made the players around them better, and pushed them to higher levels. You think Pippen would be the player he was? No, he would have been good, but not one of the best SF in the game. Plus the talent level was WAY better, and the rules way harder. Jordan would have averaged 40 no sweat in todays game. Bird as well. Plus those guys wanted the ball at the end of the game, lived for that killer shot that buckled the opposing teams knee's with a buzzer beater.

« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2014, 10:16:45 AM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I think Pippen would have been just as good without Jordan! He may not have won titles but he actually may have been a better player. As far as Lebron moving to get with other quality players is it possible that Bird, Jordan, and Magic might have done the same thing if they were stuck in Cleveland.

I too have watched a lot of basketball over the years and Lebron is one of the best I have seen. Does he have everything that Bird or Magic did, probably not but he's still a great player in his own right. I personally dont think that he has the mental ability as players like Bird, Magic, Kareem but he's still a great player and will go down as one of the best of all time.

If you put Lebron on the 86 Celtics in place of Bird does that team still win the title? Against the Lakers does Lebron shut down James Worthy and slow down Magic's game a lot? You better believe he does.

« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2014, 10:20:21 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
the greats had other all stars/great players around them, they had to. it takes more than one to win a championship there's no denying that.

when the past greats lost they didn't conspire and cheapen what it takes to build a champion. which thus far in Miami has proven to be a failure, specifically by their standards because they were supposed to win 7 - 8 championships.

when the past "greats" lost no one was saying they need more help while still being surrounded by other greats/ all stars.

« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2014, 10:22:27 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
he's 1-3 in the NBA finals for his career. choker.

This comment made me laugh.

First, he has two rings, so this isn't even possible (he's 2-2).  Now, he may lose his 3rd Finals tonight, but I no longer consider him a choker.  He's in his fourth consecutive Finals and has won the past two, that is pretty good.  He is hands down the best player in the world currently.

There's probably only one NBA player I have ever truly despised (Kobe), and that is more to do with the fact he is a horrible human being.  Lebron is actually a pretty good guy off the court (by all accounts), even if he may be bit arrogant and self-absorbed.  All elite athletes are for the most part.  This isn't to say I love Lebron, or even like him, but I certainly do not hate him.

Also, while I do think the Spurs likely close out Miami tonight, and have embarrassed Miami thus far, I fail to see how Lebron has choked at all.  The Spurs are just a better TEAM.  Lebron actually seems to be in a pretty good place mentally, he doesn't seem phased  by the moment.  That is the perception I've been left with after seeing his interviews during the Finals.

« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2014, 10:35:04 AM »

Offline Rhyso

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
he's 1-3 in the NBA finals for his career. choker.

This comment made me laugh.

First, he has two rings, so this isn't even possible (he's 2-2).  Now, he may lose his 3rd Finals tonight, but I no longer consider him a choker.  He's in his fourth consecutive Finals and has won the past two, that is pretty good.  He is hands down the best player in the world currently.

There's probably only one NBA player I have ever truly despised (Kobe), and that is more to do with the fact he is a horrible human being.  Lebron is actually a pretty good guy off the court (by all accounts), even if he may be bit arrogant and self-absorbed.  All elite athletes are for the most part.  This isn't to say I love Lebron, or even like him, but I certainly do not hate him.

Also, while I do think the Spurs likely close out Miami tonight, and have embarrassed Miami thus far, I fail to see how Lebron has choked at all.  The Spurs are just a better TEAM.  Lebron actually seems to be in a pretty good place mentally, he doesn't seem phased  by the moment.  That is the perception I've been left with after seeing his interviews during the Finals.

Made me laugh too, although then found out that comment was made a year ago ;D (and it was still wrong then too!)

« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2014, 10:51:11 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Everything Lebron is being accused of by the "haters," past superstars has been guilty of at one point in their careers.  A lot of criticisms thrown at this guy is ridiculous and stupid.  We idolized KG for his willingness to win at all cost (rightfully so), and that includes dirty plays as long as we get a W, but the same people would turn around and criticize Lebron for arguing calls or flopping (something a lot of superstars of the past has done).

Yes, it infuriates me just as much as anyone here that he gets away with calls but Jordan, Shaq, Kobe, Bird,...all benefited from being "superstars" on the court.  As a Celtics fan I admit I do get mad when watching the game and see some of these stuff he does but it absolutely has (and shouldn't have) no baring at all on how he's perceived when compared to the greats.  Lebron is the very best player in the world today, hands down.  He is head and shoulders above everyone.  That's the painful truth.

He's played five season minutes in four seasons, way way more minutes than anyone in the league has played.  He has carried the Heat for three years straight all by himself and people are still criticizing him.  He disappears?  Are you kidding me?  How many points did he have in his disappearing act?  Please tell me.  He's been the only greatest consistent player in Heat uniform for three years straight with everyone just going along for the ride.  He's had little to no support in that duration.  Despite the big three label, he's being the only one doing it all.

I hope people would stop this Lebron hating nonsense.  He deserve every accolades thrown his way and deserve to be compared to Jordan because that's the only player worth comparing to Lebron.  Yes, he is that great. 

I hate the Heat and I want them to lose in everything they do but I don't hate Lebron the player (he's that good).  As a matter of fact, I have the utmost respect for his talent and his prowess and ability.  And Lebron the person is 1000x better than Jordan and Kobe (****ty human beings in my opinion). 
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 11:10:19 AM by Clench123 »

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2014, 11:00:01 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Of course we don't like him cause he doesn't play for the Celtics..if Larry Bird played for the Lakers or Kevin McHale played for New York, we would hate them as well
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2014, 11:06:44 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Of course we don't like him cause he doesn't play for the Celtics..if Larry Bird played for the Lakers or Kevin McHale played for New York, we would hate them as well

"Dislike" and "hate" are two different and distinct things and, to me, "hate" is just too strong for Lebron.  This isn't to say I particularly like him or adore him.

« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2014, 11:07:41 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

I think that is what it comes down to really.  I just hate the fact that we are so fortunate in witnessing history unfold right before our eyes by watching one of the very best player in the history of the game play, and all most people want to do is hate and nitpick at everything he does.

The only thing I hate is his association with the Heat and D Wade (my least favorite player in Basketball)

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2014, 12:00:46 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
Everything Lebron is being accused of by the "haters," past superstars has been guilty of at one point in their careers.  A lot of criticisms thrown at this guy is ridiculous and stupid.  We idolized KG for his willingness to win at all cost (rightfully so), and that includes dirty plays as long as we get a W, but the same people would turn around and criticize Lebron for arguing calls or flopping (something a lot of superstars of the past has done).

KG was notoriously known as being a "a guy teams hated to play against but would love to have on their team". Lebron is notoriously known as a flopper, something KG had never been associated with. it even became an internet sensation with kids copying Lebron's act. I don't ever recall past greats ever being associated with being a flopper, ever.

have past greats benefited from "superstar calls"? absolutely. I don't recall a past great having the rules changed to benefit them though. a couple yrs. ago they changed the travel rule to now you can take 3 steps after Lebron's crab dribble came into question.

in fact when Shaq was dominant they changed the rules to try and make him less dominant. they added a 5 sec. rule when posting a player up and backing him down.   

He's played five season minutes in four seasons, way way more minutes than anyone in the league has played.  He has carried the Heat for three years straight all by himself and people are still criticizing him.  He disappears?  Are you kidding me?  How many points did he have in his disappearing act?  Please tell me.  He's been the only greatest consistent player in Heat uniform for three years straight with everyone just going along for the ride.  He's had little to no support in that duration.  Despite the big three label, he's being the only one doing it all.

this is such a cop out of an excuse when people defend Lebron, it's sickening. it was almost bearable when he was in Cleveland. the excuses stopped when he went to Miami.

I hope people would stop this Lebron hating nonsense.  He deserve every accolades thrown his way and deserve to be compared to Jordan because that's the only player worth comparing to Lebron.  Yes, he is that great.

Jordan never called up karl Malone and gary payton to come save his reputation. he didn't need to and he did it with less.

the criticism is completely fair. he didn't have to get "king" tattooed on him before playing a game in the NBA. he didn't have to tell us he's going to win 7 - 8 championships.