Author Topic: When Did Rondo Become "The Clinic"?  (Read 6866 times)

When Did Rondo Become "The Clinic"?
« on: June 11, 2013, 12:38:16 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
I was just looking at the nba team store and there are tons of items nick naming Rondo as "the Clinic". I've been a die hard Celtics fan my whole life, and I've absolutely never heard that before. Any explanation?

Example:
http://store.nba.com/product/index.jsp?productId=15256246&cp=1421533.2788197
DKC Suns

Re: When Did Rondo Become "The Clinic"?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 12:51:31 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=rondo+the+clinic

Yeah, yeah... last night's loss sucked. But as Chuck just said, we can't walk around cutting ourselves all day. Besides, there will be plenty of time for that later. No... right now we're going to have some fun. And of course, the way things are going right now, we can only have fun with one player on this team: Rajon Rondo. In the first half of last night's game, he was unstoppable. I made the comment on Twitter that Rondo was by far the best player on the floor, and that he was putting on a clinic. Matt Moore of Hardwood Paroxysm (@HPBasketball on Twitter) turned right around and suggested "The Clinic" as a nickname for Rondo. In that moment, the nickname was born. It's gotten a fair amount of support so far... and we love it. so we're going with it. Rajon Rondo is "The Clinic"... because he could put one on at a moment's notice. I'm sure some of you won't like it. I've already heard the &qu...
http://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/a_nickname_is_born_rondo_is_the_clinic/2054432

Oh, what google will do for you! :)
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 01:41:35 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Yeah, yeah... last night's loss sucked. But as Chuck just said, we can't walk around cutting ourselves all day. Besides, there will be plenty of time for that later. No... right now we're going to have some fun. And of course, the way things are going right now, we can only have fun with one player on this team: Rajon Rondo. In the first half of last night's game, he was unstoppable. I made the comment on Twitter that Rondo was by far the best player on the floor, and that he was putting on a clinic. Matt Moore of Hardwood Paroxysm (@HPBasketball on Twitter) turned right around and suggested "The Clinic" as a nickname for Rondo. In that moment, the nickname was born. It's gotten a fair amount of support so far... and we love it. so we're going with it. Rajon Rondo is "The Clinic"... because he could put one on at a moment's notice. I'm sure some of you won't like it. I've already heard the &qu...

I would dispute that.

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 01:48:38 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I've never heard it, either.  All due respect to Hardwood Paroxysm, but I think it kind of stinks.

I much prefer the Big Ticket, The Truth, and Trigger Happy Jack Terrence.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 01:56:26 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Never heard that nickname for Rondo, either.  Matt Moore is self-important enough to think that because he's coined a nickname that it has become THE nickname for a player, though.

Any good nickname for Rondo would capture the way that he can completely take over a game and be the best player on the floor some nights, and be a virtual non-factor and offensive liability on other nights.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 01:59:33 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Rondo is the kind of player who doesn't need a nickname.

He's of the status where he doesn't really need _two_ names, like 'Cher', except that BOTH of his names are evocative enough.

If you say, 'Rajon' --- everyone knows who you mean.

If you say, 'Rondo' --- again, everyone knows who you mean.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 02:21:17 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
You don't need a nickname when your name has become a verb.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 02:34:40 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
If you say, 'Rajon' --- everyone knows who you mean.

If you say, 'Rondo' --- again, everyone knows who you mean.

That's important.

I don't ever call him Rajon though
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 02:37:32 PM »

Offline ejk3489

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 215
Never heard of it. Agree with others though that with a name like Rondo you don't really need a nickname...

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 03:20:50 PM »

Offline NocturnalRebel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
I've never heard it, either.  All due respect to Hardwood Paroxysm, but I think it kind of stinks.

I much prefer the Big Ticket, *and* The Truth. and Trigger Happy Terrence.

Fixed.

Rondo's name is unique in it's own way tho. He really doesn't need a nickname. "The Clinic" isn't bad but I really can't see anyone saying Rajon "The Clinic" Rondo right now outside of 3Deezy and Shaq and maybe Kenny Smith. I could see Rondo becoming that tho.
Loyalty Is Royalty

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 03:27:06 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I much prefer the Big Ticket, *and* The Truth. and Trigger Happy Terrence.

Fixed.

Don't you dare change my sentence into one with terrible grammar, and call it "fixed".   ;)

Also, giving Williams a nickname inspired by a catchy Poe song is probably overselling him.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 03:38:42 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
The first time my wife and I saw rondo playing, we ask ourselves : who is this little bad boy face that look very sly and try to steal the ball? From that very first day, we became a huge fan of him and call him "the thief". Not original but appropriate.

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 03:58:54 PM »

Offline CapnDunks

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
It's not very good. I've heard it a lot. I'm surprised others haven't. But yes, there's something to be said for having a distinct name and just being known by that. Lot's of greats have done it. I think if he's going to get a nickname that will stick he's probably running out of time.

Cwebb had it right. When I hink of this guy, I just think of one word, "Ron-doooooo"

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 04:00:04 PM »

Offline NocturnalRebel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41

I much prefer the Big Ticket *and* The Truth. and Trigger Happy Terrence.

Fixed.

Don't you dare change my sentence into one with terrible grammar, and call it "fixed".   ;)

Also, giving Williams a nickname inspired by a catchy Poe song is probably overselling him.

Ehh. Wasn't that bad.

When it comes to you and your opinions on him "a catchy Poe song" probably has little to no inspiration for your chosen nickname for him. But that's another conversation in another thread.

How about "The Clinic" tho? Great player.
Loyalty Is Royalty