Author Topic: Is this real? Gigi Datome will play for Celts next season...  (Read 15966 times)

Re: Is this real? Gigi Datome will play for Celts next season...
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2013, 08:08:25 AM »

Offline Rickretro

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
I hope we get this guy.  He really looks like a high energy offensive minded madman out there! When might this be announced??

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2013, 08:21:35 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
A 25 year old, you reckon he'd still want to play for this rebuilding team?

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2013, 08:33:42 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
A 25 year old, you reckon he'd still want to play for this rebuilding team?

Well before he'd get very little playing time here with PP and Green in front of him. Now with just Green he'll play a lot more and if he dose well his stock will rise for that nice NBA contract.

Plus Im wondering if this was part of the deal all along with the C's. Telling him that in 2013 there would be room for him one way or an other. And thats why we haven't been hearing anything official yet.

Still wont hold my breath for this to happen.

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2013, 09:13:12 AM »

Offline Sully7

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
In a lot of ways this is exactly the type of move and player the C"s need to add depth with out improving too much..

- Can shoot the 3 (desperately need this)
- Athletic/Energy
- Offensive threat
- 25 years of age

The world is catching up with America...this guy looks like he'll at very least contribute, as with any player. lets hope for more.

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2013, 09:18:38 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

RealGM confirms it too.

Is that an oxymoron?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2013, 09:34:34 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
so gigi is really coming to the celtics? that is an excellent addition to the offense for the celtics....and they dont have to expend any resources aside of salary. great job by ainge!!

the celtics offense this coming year was a big question mark. aside from green and rondo there was no one who could reliably make a basket....and on a number of occasions even rondo would have had trouble since everyone would clog the lane.

but with gigi and olynyk, suddenly the celtics have a front line that can shoot from mid-range and beyond.

this confirms for me that ainge is NOT trying to tank into the top 5 picks this year. instead, he is accumulating assets and good role players as a plan to acquire a couple of stars. then hope the brooklyn picks turn into gold.

next year, they might even make the playoffs if they are not careful.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2013, 09:37:17 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
so gigi is really coming to the celtics? that is an excellent addition to the offense for the celtics....and they dont have to expend any resources aside of salary. great job by ainge!!

the celtics offense this coming year was a big question mark. aside from green and rondo there was no one who could reliably make a basket....and on a number of occasions even rondo would have had trouble since everyone would clog the lane.

but with gigi and olynyk, suddenly the celtics have a front line that can shoot from mid-range and beyond.

this confirms for me that ainge is NOT trying to tank into the top 5 picks this year. instead, he is accumulating assets and good role players as a plan to acquire a couple of stars. then hope the brooklyn picks turn into gold.

next year, they might even make the playoffs if they are not careful.  ;D

I think he's trying to accumulate and feature assets next year, but the team will be so young as to opportunistically position them for a good pick in 2014 as well.  (Remember, that too is an asset.)

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2013, 10:10:07 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Sportando has a history of publishing bogus rumors involving the Celtics. I wouldn't make too much of it.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2013, 10:52:07 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't really see the point in spending money to acquire a 26 year old Italian version of Andres Nocioni.  We already have Green, Wallace, Joseph, and Terrence Williams to play the 3, not to mention Lee.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2013, 10:58:46 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
I don't really see the point in spending money to acquire a 26 year old Italian version of Andres Nocioni.  We already have Green, Wallace, Joseph, and Terrence Williams to play the 3, not to mention Lee.

Green's the only one of those I'd count on being with the C's next season.

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2013, 11:45:04 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Maybe, but at least some of those guys are probably cheaper than it'd take to get this Datome guy.

Why not just give minutes to Williams and Joseph instead of spending on a Euro role player with no upside who would probably ask for at least a couple million a year?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2013, 11:46:07 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Maybe, but at least some of those guys are probably cheaper than it'd take to get this Datome guy.

Why not just give minutes to Williams and Joseph instead of spending on a Euro role player with no upside who would probably ask for at least a couple million a year?

Don't know where you'd get an international player would ask for at least a couple million a year...
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2013, 11:52:16 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Don't know where you'd get an international player would ask for at least a couple million a year...

and I don't know how you get that he has no upsise either. For all we know, he could be the next Manu Ginobili.

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2013, 11:59:50 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Why would he come to the NBA if he's just gonna get the veteran minimum?  If he's as good as people say he is, he can get that kind of money in Europe.  For reference, Mirza Teletovic is making 3 million a year on the Nets.

As for "no upside," well, he's already 25 and has probably been playing professionally since he was 16 or 17, like most Euro guys.  I'm sure he's a nice player, but is he that much better than Rudy Fernandez or Andres Nocioni?  Italy isn't even the most competitive league in Europe.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2013, 09:49:28 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
Sounds like he's definitely coming over and the C's are the frontrunners:

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2013/07/boston_celtics_free_agency_rum.html

Danny knows he needs more shooters and a more efficient offense.  Both draft picks were efficient and this guy can flat-out shoot.