Author Topic: Why We Traded Up For Olynyk  (Read 2839 times)

Why We Traded Up For Olynyk
« on: July 01, 2013, 06:16:44 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
Hopefully this hasn't been posted before. I apologize if it has.

“The Jazz really wanted, and I think expected, to get Kelly Olynyk at the 14th pick…The Jazz put Kelly Olynyk through a workout. They put all the guys that come in for workouts – the guards do something called the ‘Jazz 100.’ It is 100 3-point shots in a short period of time, taking 10 [shots] from 10 different spots in 10 different manners on the floor, so some can be coming off a pick-and-roll; some can be spot-ups where it is kicked out to you; some can be fading into the corner; [and] some are trailing in transition.”

“Talking to Olynyk after the draft, no other team had him take more than five three’s by the time he had come to Salt Lake City. His next spot, by the way, leaving Salt Lake was to go to Boston. This is important. In the workout with the Jazz, Olynyk hits, I think it was, 63 of 100 three’s, which was like the second-most amount of three’s that anyone hit.”

http://celticshub.com/2013/06/30/weekend-notebook-what-about-kelly-olynyk-gigi-datome-could-sign-with-celtics/

Very interesting.
DKC Suns

Re: Why We Traded Up For Olynyk
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 06:20:06 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
It's amazing that in such a short amount of time, the Jazz were able to rebound and even benefit by drawing up a plan to get Burke.

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 06:24:14 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
It's amazing that in such a short amount of time, the Jazz were able to rebound and even benefit by drawing up a plan to get Burke.
What I heard is that they heard about Danny moving up to get Olynyk about an hour before the draft and were scrambling to either move up or work out a backup plan. Utah did need a point guard and they wanted a "stretch four" to play beside Kantor/Favors.

IAC, I hope Kelly pans out for the C's..got my green glasses on!

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 06:25:04 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Thanks for the post and link. I had thought about posting it but you were faster and more industrious.  :)

I am not sure what the celtics have in olynyk. He is not your usual center or pf. I think ainge may be right to label him as a facilitator, someone who can play a number of roles that allow teammates to succeed.

If he can learn to rebound and play passable defense he will be an interesting player.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 06:27:03 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

“The Jazz really wanted, and I think expected, to get Kelly Olynyk at the 14th pick…The Jazz put Kelly Olynyk through a workout. They put all the guys that come in for workouts – the guards do something called the ‘Jazz 100.’ It is 100 3-point shots in a short period of time, taking 10 [shots] from 10 different spots in 10 different manners on the floor, so some can be coming off a pick-and-roll; some can be spot-ups where it is kicked out to you; some can be fading into the corner; [and] some are trailing in transition.”

“Talking to Olynyk after the draft, no other team had him take more than five three’s by the time he had come to Salt Lake City. His next spot, by the way, leaving Salt Lake was to go to Boston. This is important. In the workout with the Jazz, Olynyk hits, I think it was, 63 of 100 three’s, which was like the second-most amount of three’s that anyone hit.”

http://celticshub.com/2013/06/30/weekend-notebook-what-about-kelly-olynyk-gigi-datome-could-sign-with-celtics/

Very interesting.

Yea, the video of the quotes are somewhere on here.

TBH I wanted Adams but looking at a few videos on Olynyk I'm not as taken aback as I was draft night. I think if we keep him as a 4 primarily, he will be very good. Given his work ethic, I don't see how he doesn't, at the least, become a good role player and a leader for the other guys to follow. I mean, he sat out a season and didn't just chill, he worked his butt off. I also read that his coaches had to tell him to back off on helping the second team with the plays, said he knew all the plays and what to do that when he helped them, he made them so good that the coach said he had to stop so the confidence of the starters wouldn't be hurt. THIS is the type of player/person I love to cheer for!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 06:31:40 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I don't want to make a new thread video of Olynyk's 1on1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0yf4xaNLik
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 06:31:56 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

Very interesting.

Yea, the video of the quotes are somewhere on here.

TBH I wanted Adams but looking at a few videos on Olynyk I'm not as taken aback as I was draft night. I think if we keep him as a 4 primarily, he will be very good. Given his work ethic, I don't see how he doesn't, at the least, become a good role player and a leader for the other guys to follow. I mean, he sat out a season and didn't just chill, he worked his butt off. I also read that his coaches had to tell him to back off on helping the second team with the plays, said he knew all the plays and what to do that when he helped them, he made them so good that the coach said he had to stop so the confidence of the starters wouldn't be hurt. THIS is the type of player/person I love to cheer for!

+1 count me in

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 06:35:38 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
anyone can hit 3's if u just standing there all alone...see what he does when someone is up his face...and i want defense and rebounding from him
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 06:43:45 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
anyone can hit 3's if u just standing there all alone...see what he does when someone is up his face...and i want defense and rebounding from him

Re-read the article.  He isn't just standing there chucking 3's.

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 07:05:10 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I mentioned this article a few times over the last couple of days but was not able to link on my iphone.  So the fact that another team wanted Olynyk is a good thing I think.

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 07:20:04 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I don't want to make a new thread video of Olynyk's 1on1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0yf4xaNLik

Thanks.  TP.

I like him.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson