Author Topic: Trade Idea: Rondo to Utah  (Read 3337 times)

Trade Idea: Rondo to Utah
« on: May 30, 2013, 12:02:39 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
This is a complete rebuild-type trade. It's also a 'jeez this could really come back to completely bite us in the butt' type trade. It's one that Id never have the guts to pull the trigger on myself, but that's why Danny gets the big bucks, to take the heat on trades that could pay off down the line.

Celtics trade: Rajon Rondo, Brandon Bass
Utah Trades: Derrick Favors, #14 in 2013 draft

Why for us: Derrick Favors is on the verge of breaking out, much in the same position Al Jefferson was before the Kevin Garnett trade. There is also this unknown lightening quick guard in the the draft who is drawing a lot of comparisons to Rondo. This trade assumes but isn't confined by the notion that PP and KG are gone this year, one way or the other. This gives us the lineup of:

Ze German
Avery Bradley
Jeff Green
Jared Sullinger
Derrick Favors
+the usual suspects and the #16

That is one very, very athletic lineup, with a very probable poor showing in 2014, and the potential to get a very high draft pick in a loaded draft. It's a lineup that makes 2008 me cringe, but 2013 me kind of excited.

Why for Utah: they're at a bit of a crossroads. Likely good enough for a playoff spot if a few players (mostly Hayward) take a good step forward, but still with an enormous gaping hole at the PG position. Utah also has 2 very good players up for renewal, and a track record as a franchise that just doesn't attract top tier free agents. Rondo is better than anyone they'd get with their considerable cap room, and he fills their biggest need as a distributer and leader. Their lineup:

Rondo
Hayward
?
Millsap
Jefferson
+Kanter, Bass to shore up their backbone in the front line

Utah, if they were amenable to this trade might not like taking back Bassy's contract, and would 100% rather send out Kanter than Favors, but they're about to lose Jefferson and Millsap for nothing if they don't resign them (S&Ts are now mostly a thing of the past under the current CBA). It nets them an affordable all-star and missing piece that will hopefully take them from a ceiling of first round after-thought to something closer to what the Pacers are now.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Re: Trade Idea: Rondo to Utah
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 02:13:32 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
So this is a trade that only goes through if our guy is on the board at 14, right?

That being the case, I think it's too rich to move up two spots and end up with Derrick Favors. And I like Derrick Favors, but this also assumes that KG and Pierce just retire?

I could maybe warm to this lineup (with a gun to my head, no Rondo no Pierce no KG is going to be rough stuff in real life) if I knew that there were other, TBD pieces coming in from trading the Ticket and the Truth.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 02:43:55 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
So this is a trade that only goes through if our guy is on the board at 14, right?

That being the case, I think it's too rich to move up two spots and end up with Derrick Favors. And I like Derrick Favors, but this also assumes that KG and Pierce just retire?

Favors would help KG's minutes a lot. Our frontcourt sucks and getting Favors helps us hugely.

Of course there's the issue with us plugging one hole only to create another.

As for the trade, I think our pick might be going to the Jazz instead of Utah sending us one.

Yes, Rondo likely takes them out of mediocrity but he's also out for probably at least half the season. Plus their FAs might not resign, Al Jeff hasn't won anything for them...Facing OKC first round with a depleted roster with no chemistry?

Utah might as well semi-tank next season for a better pick in 2014.

Rondo/Bass/pick for Favors/Millsap?

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 04:40:15 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
When I saw the title I thought it was another Enes Kanter idea. Which is not worth giving up Rondo for IMO.

However, if the deal is centered around Favors I would strongly consider it. Like you said, he is really on the verge of breaking out and looks like the next Al Horford.

Plus, I love me some Dennis Schrouder  ;D
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 08:11:51 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Celtics trade: Rajon Rondo and Brandon Bass
Utah Trades: Paul Millsap and Al Jefferson

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 08:53:38 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
So basically... you want Jazz to take our Allstar point guard who'll be out for who knows how long in the beginning of the season... For a player who is already making strides, and has the potential to be an Allstar Center?

Jazz passes, and laughs on the phone especially at them giving us a pick.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 09:20:37 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
This is the type of scenario I could see Danny strongly consider for Rondo...although I am not sure whether or not the Jazz go for it.

While, I don't think Danny is going to trade Rondo for mediocre pieces, if he can get someone with legit star potential...particularly a big man...then, I think he would do it.

Of course, it all comes down to how you evaluate Favors, and whether Danny values him more than Utah. 

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 09:30:47 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
So basically... you want Jazz to take our Allstar point guard who'll be out for who knows how long in the beginning of the season... For a player who is already making strides, and has the potential to be an Allstar Center?

Jazz passes, and laughs on the phone especially at them giving us a pick.

Might be exagerrating a bit there

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 09:37:47 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
This is pretty much the ideal kind of package for Rondo . . . gets rid of long term money (Bass), you get a great young big man prospect, and a lottery pick (albeit #14).

Honestly, though, I'm kind of skeptical that Rondo's value is that high, especially right now.

This is the sort of trade that would have to happen around the trade deadline or the draft next year, once Rondo has shown he's still capable of playing at an All-Star level.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 09:39:39 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

No thanks.  I doubt Millsap and Big Al would re-sign for small enough deals to make the money work there, anyways.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 09:41:40 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

No thanks.  I doubt Millsap and Big Al would re-sign for small enough deals to make the money work there, anyways.
You think they're both getting deals north of 10 million per year?

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 09:44:04 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I'm pretty sure the only way Utah can even do that trade is if they give up the rights to Jefferson and Millsap, which they aren't going to do, thus the trade as composed isn't even worth discussing since it financially won't happen.  That said, even if it was financially viable, why on earth would Utah want Bass when they have Kanter and can just re-sign Jefferson and Millsap.  Makes no sense.  Take Bass out of it and it makes more sense though I think Utah would push for Marvin Williams to be included (if he picks up his option) and that makes the money actually work. 

This trade seems more likely from both teams: Favors, Williams, and 14 for Rondo and Melo.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 09:45:41 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

I personally think they will, Jefferson will probably get in the 12-13 range and Millsap probably gets in the 10 range.  Now granted that puts their starts a bit lower, but not enough to where the dollars would work.  I also have no idea why Utah would want Bass.  It really doesn't make a lot of sense for them as the whole point of trading for Rondo would be to go into win now mode and they won't do that if they give up Jefferson and Millsap.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 09:56:27 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I'm pretty sure the only way Utah can even do that trade is if they give up the rights to Jefferson and Millsap, which they aren't going to do, thus the trade as composed isn't even worth discussing since it financially won't happen.  That said, even if it was financially viable, why on earth would Utah want Bass when they have Kanter and can just re-sign Jefferson and Millsap.  Makes no sense.  Take Bass out of it and it makes more sense though I think Utah would push for Marvin Williams to be included (if he picks up his option) and that makes the money actually work. 

This trade seems more likely from both teams: Favors, Williams, and 14 for Rondo and Melo.

I'd actually blanked out Marvin Williams as a team option, not a player option. Yes you're right.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 10:04:25 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Oh, absolutely.  Millsap will have a harder time but considering Kris Humphries managed 12 per I can't imagine Millsap getting less than 10.

Big Al is a 20-10-2 big man, for all of his flaws.  He'll get at least 10 million, probably closer to 12-14.  He should be able to get David Lee money from somebody, at least.

In any case, unless we're getting an above average point guard (e.g. Jarret Jack or better) somewhere else, I don't know why we'd want to pay that much for Millsap and Big Al. 

Those guys don't make you any better than Utah is now (mediocre) unless they have a good point guard feeding them and playing off of them.
- Mark Twain