Author Topic: Move down the draft with Phoenix for Gortat and draft Tony Snell  (Read 1952 times)

Offline drogbagarnett

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
Here is my latest idea:

Move down the draft with Phoenix for Gortat and draft Tony Snell.

If I'm Danny, I call my former Assistant GM and make sure he assist me back!!
Phoenix is going nowhere and need to accumulate assets and rebuilt! Gortat is soon turning 30 and need to make is mark in the playoffs and show what he can do before he gets too old...

Here is the deal:

Suns    sends      Gortat and No 30 pick (2013)
Suns    receives   Lee, Crawford, No 16 pick (2013) and our 2014 1st rounder (2014 supposed to be a great draft!)...

So Phoenix is getting two young good players to keep around, plus 4 first round picks this year and next year to rebuilt!

If Danny can somehow pull this out, then we are contending next year!!

RONDO           BRADLEY            BARBOSA
SNELL (or LEDO) TERRY              TWILL
GREEN           PIERCE             ?? (a FA or open for BO)
SULLY           BASS               SHAV
KG              GORTAT             MELO

Question: Can we actually resign Barbosa next year..??

The Spurs example gives me confidence we will back in the Finals again! Just get Gortat and Snell and keep the band together!! :-)

Re: Move down the draft with Phoenix for Gortat and draft Tony Snell
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 05:43:08 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Or, buy the #26 pick from the Timberwolves.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 06:37:33 PM »

Offline drogbagarnett

• Jrue Holiday
Or, buy the #26 pick from the Timberwolves.

Yeah... If that's possible then why not?

Suns are definitely in rebuilding mode and Gortat wants to be in the playoffs contending, so I really do think our former Assistant GM can do something for us here... ;-)

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 07:21:40 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
No way anyone would trade a first rounder in next years draft for Gortat.  I doubt we would trade a first rounder in THIS years draft for Gortat.  The new CBA makes first round contracts much more valuable than over paid role players. 
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 09:03:50 PM »

Offline mcshane41

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 14
I gotta say this move sounds like a poor return on investment for two #1 picks AND a couple young players. Two #1 picks for one year of Gortat? He's no All-star, this Celtics team is not one Gortat away from a championship. If I'm trading two #1's I want to be getting back a young player with multiple years on his deal. Change Gortat to Cousins or something and we can start talk two #1's.

I say keep the picks and add more youth/assets and pull the trigger when a real All-star talent hits the trade block.

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 09:12:16 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
No way on Earth I send out that 2014 pick. Also 30 isn't Snell territory right now. More like Archie Goodwin or something

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 09:16:57 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Yea no way I trade 2 firsts for Gortat
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 10:58:17 PM »

Offline pcroscia

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 0
Release Paul Peirce pay down $5M, the C's can negotiate to pay him $3M the next 3 yrs.

The C's will cut $8M for next year $12 MM the each of the next 2 yrs.

This'll allow the C's to get Demarcus Cousins for next 4 yrs -- yr one pay him $5M, yr 2 $8M yr 3 $11M yr 4 $15M.

For Cousins give this years 1st round pick, Brandon Bass, and next two years 1st round pick.

This'll free up another $8M for B.Bass. C's can grab a another player to fill any holes.

Starting Lineup

Cousins (Center)
Garnett (PF)
Pierce/Green F
Rondo (G)
Bradley (G)

What does everyone think??

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 11:16:47 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
Yeah picks are too valuable. Even picks in the last third of the first round contain valuable players on cheap multi-year deals.

2010:
26th Quincy Pondexter
28th Greivis Vásquez
39th Landry Fields
40th Lance Stevenson

2011:
22nd Kenneth Faried
24th Reggie Jackson
25th MarShon Brooks
28th Norris Cole
30th Jimmy Butler
38th Chandler Parsons
50th Lavoy Allen
60th Isaiah Thomas

2012 draft is too soon to see the late draftees shine but Sully (21st overall) is a fairly well known quantity to Celticsblog. We'll see that crop of young guys get their chances the coming season I expect. Trading away our first rounders should be off the table unless we're getting a young piece to build on. If we can move our 1sts for high skill players who are in bad situations then we should. Otherwise I want to keep them for CBA reasons.

Something I might do is trade the Bass+16 for Gortat+30. We get a shot at a real backup Center and we keep our young core. If they want Crawford they are more than welcome to him as far as I'm concerned :)

Restructure PP's contract
Trade all of our picks for Cousins

My understanding is that only teams under the cap can restructure contracts. I'd have to check with Larry Coon for sure but I read something that made me think that.

Most likely trading away all of our picks for a malcontent center is a bad idea. Furthermore you can't trade consecutive 1sts so you'd have to rethink that a little.

Other than that I love the idea of getting Cousins for phantom picks and magically paying Pierce way less. Go C's!

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 11:36:59 PM »

Offline drogbagarnett

• Jrue Holiday
No way on Earth I send out that 2014 pick. Also 30 isn't Snell territory right now. More like Archie Goodwin or something

Got to agree with u guys! If the Suns can be fine with lee+crawford+No 16 for Gortat+No 30 then we should already be on the phone with them !!

This year's draft is flat from 11 to 30 is basically the same talent level you would get..

I personally like Tony Snell a lot because he is a 3 and D type of long wing that we need!

I see him a little like kawi Leonard with the spurs!
I would take him over Goodwin everytime and again!
When u have a Rondo around u need some 3 and D type of players around

Oh and please lets keep the band together but bring the captain off the bench!! Yeah i do like how the spurs are doing it...

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 11:58:18 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Restructure PP's contract
Trade all of our picks for Cousins

My understanding is that only teams under the cap can restructure contracts. I'd have to check with Larry Coon for sure but I read something that made me think that.

You can only renegotiate if you have cap space because you can only renegotiate a contract upwards and not downwards.  You can't restructure a contract to create more cap space to improve your team.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference