Author Topic: Would it make sense for Golden State to sell high on Steph Curry?  (Read 4820 times)

Re: Would it make sense for Golden State to sell high on Steph Curry?
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2013, 12:22:01 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
You'd totally kill your fan base unless you got back a player they perceive as better than Curry.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2013, 01:31:32 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

At this point, Rondo, who lead his team to a sub .500 record before getting injured, is coming off major ACL surgery (which ROse still hasn't returned from over a year later)... Curry has finally reached his potential and lead a team a couple rounds into the playoffs.  Curry has proven to be one of the best shooters in the league.

It's true that Rondo was the 4th best player on the Celts when they won the title

Agreed.  Love the guy.  My favorite player on the team.

That's like someone saying that KG's been their favorite player since he came into the league and then remarking that they've never been impressed by his defense and that he's never been all that great a rebounder either. I suppose it's great that you love him in a "I don't understand what's so great about his game or what he adds to the team" kind of way.

No real need to be condescending, is there? LarBird has pretty consistently shown he knows what he's talking about when it comes to NBAFandom.

Which is what we are across the board. Fans.

Plenty of people who understand basketball aren't nearly as high on Rondo as you are. In fact, I'd wager most people who understand basketball aren't as high on Rondo as you are. People who are, you know, actually employed by basketball teams to make decisions about which players play for the teams that pay them.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2013, 01:56:28 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

At this point, Rondo, who lead his team to a sub .500 record before getting injured, is coming off major ACL surgery (which ROse still hasn't returned from over a year later)... Curry has finally reached his potential and lead a team a couple rounds into the playoffs.  Curry has proven to be one of the best shooters in the league.

It's true that Rondo was the 4th best player on the Celts when they won the title

Agreed.  Love the guy.  My favorite player on the team.

That's like someone saying that KG's been their favorite player since he came into the league and then remarking that they've never been impressed by his defense and that he's never been all that great a rebounder either. I suppose it's great that you love him in a "I don't understand what's so great about his game or what he adds to the team" kind of way.

No real need to be condescending, is there? LarBird has pretty consistently shown he knows what he's talking about when it comes to NBAFandom.

Which is what we are across the board. Fans.

Plenty of people who understand basketball aren't nearly as high on Rondo as you are. In fact, I'd wager most people who understand basketball aren't as high on Rondo as you are. People who are, you know, actually employed by basketball teams to make decisions about which players play for the teams that pay them.

On one hand, it wouldn't bother me too much if people who were employed by (other) basketball teams had a lower opinion of Rondo than I did, I don't really want to see him traded. On the other hand, I've seen enough outright stupid moves by such people that I wouldn't be cowed by the fact that some of them might not agree with me. But beyond that, neither of us have any real idea about how much or how little Rondo's valued around the league. You might not realize that, but it's obviously true. As for Larbrd, I'm not sure what you mean by his knowledge of "Fandom". His predictions about the game itself are pretty much hit or miss, which doesn't really separate him from the crowd.

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2013, 02:05:35 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
He makes pretty sensible posts that are grounded in the relative "facts" that come up from the swirl of rumors, twitter speak, agent-leaks, and general communication shenanigans that make up the basis for all of our speculation on inter-team movement, player rankings, contracts, so on and so forth.

The same way mathematics don't work unless everyone can agree on mutual values for integers, discussing a player's worth around the league doesn't work unless you're all drawing from the same source with open ears.

If there's anything at all to discuss in a thread like this one (and judging by the response at least a few posters think that there is) then saying "no one's got any real idea anyway" is the antithesis of conversation.

Also, if you'd read a little closer, I said that I'd wager on your opinion being higher. I stand by that statement.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2013, 03:04:55 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Quote from: BBallTim
  That's like someone saying that KG's been their favorite player since he came into the league and then remarking that they've never been impressed by his defense and that he's never been all that great a rebounder either.

TPs to D.o.s and BBallTim.

Tim, we argue a lot back and forth... but seriously this isn't true.  I've said this before.  Paul Pierce has been my favorite player in the league since he entered it.  But there were times that I supported trading him for the health of the team.  And just because he was my favorite player in the league didn't mean that I was forced to pretend he was better than LeBron James... or that he was "vastly superior" to Dirk Nowitzki.  Paul was always a great player, but never a superstar.  If the right deal had come along, I would have taken it. 

Likewise, I LOVED Big Al.  I really loved that guy as much as any young player who has ever played here.  There use to be a lot "Big Al vs Dwight" threads back in the day and I was quick to point out Al was nowhere near Dwight's equal defensively, but that Dwight was no match for Al's low post ability.  Just because I loved Big Al didn't mean I had to be irrational about his ability.  I hated to see the guy leave, but when we landed a superstar for him... I didn't shed a tear.  Big Al was nowhere near the talent level of KG.  Gotta do what you gotta do.

And now with Rondo.  I misspoke earlier.  I have more affection for KG and Paul out of respect for what they did here, but Rondo is unquestionably my favorite player to watch on Boston.  Love the guy.  He's a warrior.  He overachieved mightily in several big games and playoff series.  But if we're talking about whether I'd rather hang onto him for sentimental reasons or trade him for a superior (healthier) talent in Steph Curry... I'd have to say I'd trade him for Steph Curry.  Same with the Chris Paul vs Rondo debates.  Rondo isn't CP3's equal.  Good news for you is that Golden State would never trade Curry for Rondo...  And I have to imagine most GM's throughout the league would pause before trading for Rondo at this point in time... the dude is coming off ACL surgery and despite having his best statistical season to date, a lot of experts found his performance (pre-injury) to be a bit of a disappointment. 

For example, Chris Forsberg gave Rondo a C+ in his "report card" series and points out: 

Nothing spoke more to Rondo's value than the way the team struggled without him, particularly offensively in the playoffs. But the stats show a team that was still stagnant even with him. The Celtics owned an offensive rating -- points per 100 possessions -- of 99.2 with Rondo on the court and that number actually jumped up three points without him. Rondo was minus-57 in plus/minus for the season, while the Celtics were plus-39 without him. What gives? Rondo didn't have a particularly efficient offensive season in his 38 games. While his mid-range shooting blossomed and his field-goal percentage rebounded from a poor 2011-12 campaign, Rondo still struggled to generate consistent offense. According to Synergy Sports data, Rondo averaged 0.796 points per play, ranking in just the 23rd percentile among all league players (an uptick in turnovers played a large part in that diminished number as Rondo's turnover ratio was the highest since his rookie season). Maybe most concerning was Rondo's transition numbers, where he averaged just 0.864 points per play and ranked in the 11th percentile (as leader of the break, he has to be better at finishing in those situations). Defensively, Rondo's Synergy numbers were much glossier (0.777 points per play, 86th percentile), but in the same way his offense was better than the stats might suggest, his defense was worse than the numbers tell. Rondo allowed too much dribble penetration and clearly missed Avery Bradley for the first 30 games of the season (while Bradley rehabbed from double shoulder surgery). The bottom line is that the Celtics need more from Rondo if he's going to be their centerpiece player and it will be interesting to see what he gleaned from a half-season on the sidelines.

There were expectations (or hopes) that Rondo would pick up the slack offensively while the elder players took a back seat.  They hoped he'd continue scoring more like he did in the playoffs.  That never happened.  We were below .500 when Rondo went out... and a lot of people feel his "stat-padding" high assists were a detriment to the team's offense.  I do love the guy... but I gotta be realistic about it.

BTW Tim, I do acknowledge that I'm a pessimist.  I do think you look at things with a bit of green-tinted haze, but for what it's worth I have probably given you more tommy points than anyone on this forum.  I love the passion brotha. 

« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 03:11:17 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2013, 09:44:03 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
He makes pretty sensible posts that are grounded in the relative "facts" that come up from the swirl of rumors, twitter speak, agent-leaks, and general communication shenanigans that make up the basis for all of our speculation on inter-team movement, player rankings, contracts, so on and so forth.

He parses through rumor, innuendo and other information and gleans onto whatever supports his opinion. You consider it to be sensible because you agree with him. Are you claiming that he's looking at player rankings, all-star voting, all-nba voting and the like when he claims Rondo is a top 10 pg and a top 40 player?

Also, if you'd read a little closer, I said that I'd wager on your opinion being higher. I stand by that statement.

You could say you'll jump off a bridge if you're wrong and that wouldn't add a shred of credibility to your claim. You're bolstering your claims about Rondo by stating that most nba personnel people would agree with you, and bolstering that claim by stating that you're fairly certain it's true. There's nothing there.