Author Topic: The Lebron flopping thread  (Read 16507 times)

Re: The Lebron flopping thread
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 04:58:42 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
He trips, his heel gets clipped by the other player. He probably is selling the fall a bit but nothing crazy there.

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2013, 05:17:21 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Who sells it better? LeFlop or Batista?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rdSa2lSajs
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2013, 05:18:50 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I'm waiting to see Lebron try this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68lCirTAurw

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2013, 05:24:30 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I'd like to make this a general flopping thread and copy my post from the playoffs thread over:

I like how West sees LeBron flop and immediately breaks out the counterflop.  Ladies and gentlemen, the 2013 NBA!

Yep.  The (semi-)rare "double flop".

I believe that is actually known as the "flopino effect", where one flop directly leads to another.  We had a great classic double-flop earlier in the playoffs:

Now I want to start a flopping dictionary.  Of course if the Spurs play the Heat it'd probably have to be totally rewritten afterward to accommodate all the emergent flopping.  Every contested rebound's gonna end up looking like the last half of a Harlem Shake video at a vertigo clinic.

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2013, 05:30:40 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.

Re: Are you anti-Lebron? Do you need a laugh?
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2013, 05:46:03 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2013, 05:49:02 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
So happy LeBron fouled out. the "treatment" needs to stop once and for all.

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2013, 06:16:37 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Don't know when flopping got so easy to see at the NBA level but it sure does seems to coincide with the internationalization of the players. Most of those players were probably brought up playing and watching soccer.

As an aside, NBA flopping has become almost as comically entertaining as soccer flops. Of course, that's probably because soccer players can fly through the air and only have to worry about landing on soft turf and not a hard wood floor.

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2013, 06:19:19 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
Don't know when flopping got so easy to see at the NBA level but it sure does seems to coincide with the internationalization of the players. Most of those players were probably brought up playing and watching soccer.

As an aside, NBA flopping has become almost as comically entertaining as soccer flops. Of course, that's probably because soccer players can fly through the air and only have to worry about landing on soft turf and not a hard wood floor.

LeBron playing and watching soccer?  ??? ???
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2013, 06:53:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Internationalization of the players. Meaning when players born outside of America started playing regularly here in the NBA.

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2013, 07:15:29 PM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2013, 07:16:37 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

Internationalization of the players. Meaning when players born outside of America started playing regularly here in the NBA.
Yeah I got that.

I guess LeBron just learned from their ways...?
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2013, 07:24:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Yeah I got that.

Well once one player does it, everyone has to do it. Sort of like Michael Jordan's long shorts. ;)

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2013, 07:31:58 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Yeah I got that.

Well once one player does it, everyone has to do it. Sort of like Michael Jordan's long shorts. ;)

This got me thinking, so I did some serious investigative work on my own.

Casually, you will see discussions of flopping attribute it to the Euros and soccer:

"The ugly trend of faking physical contact began in soccer...now the NBA will have an opportunity to deter players from trying to simulate violent contact in ways made famous by Vlade Divac, Manu Ginobili and Anderson Varejao."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/ian_thomsen/09/28/nba-flopping-david-stern/

But, a lot of the great floppers predate the Euro invasion. This earlier article points out that Reggie Miller, Laimbeer, Rodman, et al. were flopping at a high level even in the late 1980s.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=neumann/070607

You can quite clearly see Laimbeer, named in the previous article as the best of all time, executing a very convincing flop at 0:45 of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMiVs2SInCY

And even later in that video someone is holding a sign referring to Laimbeer as "flip-flop," indicating early use of the term.

[Aside: there is an absolutely classic clip of Johnny Most going wild - with no audio, which somehow makes it even better - starting at around 1:40.]

Vlade, who will spring to everyone's mind as the first great Euro flopper, really did not become known for flopping until the 1990s, and was in fact drafted in 1989 so he really could not have predated people like Laimbeer. But he certainly contributed to the refinement of flopping as an art form.

I'd say ultimately that flopping developed like a lot of other things in America - probably from many influences all coming together from different places.

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2013, 07:33:21 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
The core of the flopping issue is that it works. 

The bad part is a flop can work by tricking a ref into calling something that's not a violation. 

The REALLY bad part is a flop can work by getting the ref to call something that IS a violation but wouldn't get whistled if the flop didn't get their attention or force their hand.

A fair number of flops really are fouls by the book, but the players are selling them to maximize their chances of getting a call.  It's kind of like framing a guy who's actually guilty to ensure a conviction.