Author Topic: Insider Trade Idea: Rondo to New Orleans  (Read 6418 times)

Re: Insider Trade Idea: Rondo to New Orleans
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 01:27:23 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
another idea that doesnt involve Rondo.

How about Bradley/#16 for #6? I could see NO doing this.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2013, 01:28:32 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I wonder what is a truer indication of Rondo's value around the league, this ESPN Insider Guy or the Celtics fans that are represented here.

I don't know enough about Vasquez to be able to judge this (I didn't see too many NO games last year) but I agree with the insider guy that this is about the level of talent that we would be likely to get for Rondo.  Vasquez is a starting PG and a #6 is still a lottery pick.

I actually don't see why NO would want to do this.  Rondo isn't going to make that much difference for that team.  They may as well continue to stock pile.

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2013, 01:28:44 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I think Rondo is being overvalued WAAAAAY too much on this board.

If I could get a decent PG and a no 6 overall pick for Rondo, I'd do it.

Guarantee you will not see a better trade offer for an oft-injured turnover prone PG.

And I think that statement drastically undervalues Rondo. The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle between those two viewpoints.

A lottery pick, and a starting caliber PG is not a bad return for him, especially coming off ACL surgery. Not saying I necessarily want to do it, but it's an interesting idea at least.

Yup, well you said it.  I think Rondo coming off ACL surgery greatly diminishes his trade value so if this offer came along, you'd have to take it.

I am looking at it from the standpoint of what if Rondo comes back and re-injures his knee in his first game and/or he's just lost alot of his mobility. The same fear goes for Derrick Rose.

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2013, 01:32:13 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
6th pick in a weak draft and a middle of the pack point guard for our all star isnt going to cut it for me. Sorry folks.

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2013, 01:51:17 PM »

Offline CapnDunks

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
Rondo's a playoff superstar. Why would we trade him while his stock is down? Even if he's not right after surgery, he will adapt his game, he's too smart not to.

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2013, 01:53:19 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Yuck

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2013, 01:55:28 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Also not enough for me.

Yeah, I agree.  If I felt like #6 in this draft could get us a foundational piece, I'd be more inclined to go with this idea, but I don't feel that way.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2013, 01:56:24 PM »

Online Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
It violates the "never trade a quarter for dimes" dictum, unless Ainge is really, really high on whomever drops to #6.

Or, unless we could then flip #6 and #16 to someone for a higher pick (who presumably wouldn't want Rondo).

If the trade ended up being #16 and Rondo for #2, I think that would be pretty intriguing.

(I'm assuming CLE will not trade the #1 pick for that package.)

Edit: also, Vasquez just had surgery for bone spurs in his ankle, apparently.

If we were able to get the #2 pick that would likely be for Mclemore because I really think Cle is taking Noel,

So would Vazquez and Mclemore be worth Rondo and #16?  Im not sure, but I think not.

It kinda falls under the Family guy Mystery box vs Boat Dilema

Agreed, that's why I said at that point it would be based on Danny's projection. If he thinks McLemore is a likely franchise guy (which he'd have to be because Rondo is close to that), then maybe he'd go for it.

If it happened, I wonder how Rondo would feel about being traded for the "next Ray Allen." Haha.

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2013, 01:58:34 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I actually don't see why NO would want to do this.  Rondo isn't going to make that much difference for that team.  They may as well continue to stock pile.
Oh man, just the idea of Rondo and Anthony Davis on the court together ... wow!

Rondo finding Davis cuttiing down the middle of the paint every time he draws the help defender. The pick and rolls. The lob passes. The fastbreaks. Dunk after dunk. The quickness defensively. The deflections. Interceptions. Scrambling for loose balls. All the rebounds.

Oh, wow, that would be fun!

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2013, 02:05:50 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1672
Agreed, not nearly enough for me. Lopez would have to be included for me to even have a conversation.

Lopez isn't a guy that would sway it for me. Neither is Eric Gordon..honestly giving up an actual All-Star who is 26 on a great contract injury or no is worth more to me than anything that roster has to offer outside of Anthony Davis.

Agree with this.  I don't like the top of this draft, so that pick means little to me, and I'm not a fan of Greivis Vasquez. 

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2013, 02:06:50 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Vasquez went for 14/9/4 this year and has made significant strides every year in the league (both in totals and efficiency).  Now granted he isn't young at 26, but he is just entering his 4th year.  Given his improvement every year, I think he will get better again next year especially on a better team than New Orleans (which if KG and PP return along with the rest of the roster and 6 and 16 Boston would be).  I think you have to make this trade.  You get better health, younger, two assets vs. one, and save a bunch of money.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2013, 02:10:18 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Guarantee you will not see a better trade offer for an oft-injured turnover prone PG.

Fyi, there are also some pretty decent players available at the no 6 selection including centers Cody Zeller, Alex Len, Kelly Olynyk and Steven Adams in addition to PG Trey Burke.

Well, yeah. Rondo has historically been way overvalued on this board.

But this offer still doesn't intrigue me.

Point guards I can find. I want a big for Rondo.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2013, 02:29:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Fyi, there are also some pretty decent players available at the no 6 selection including centers Cody Zeller, Alex Len, Kelly Olynyk and Steven Adams in addition to PG Trey Burke.

Yup. This league is littered with good PGs but if Rondo is going I want a LaMarcus Aldridge, Kevin Love, or Nikola Pekovic type player coming back. Not saying those exact guys but guys like that.

This year's draft could net someone like those guys but honestly, I think we are just as likely to get that guy at 16 as we are at 6. As for Vasquez, his lack of athleticism and speed will catch up to him once teams start game planning him. Not a fan of his though I must say, he got a lot better than I ever would have thought.

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2013, 03:28:56 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

Yup. This league is littered with good PGs but if Rondo is going I want a LaMarcus Aldridge, Kevin Love, or Nikola Pekovic type player coming back. Not saying those exact guys but guys like that.

This year's draft could net someone like those guys but honestly, I think we are just as likely to get that guy at 16 as we are at 6. As for Vasquez, his lack of athleticism and speed will catch up to him once teams start game planning him. Not a fan of his though I must say, he got a lot better than I ever would have thought.
yeah but you could get one at 6 and one at 16. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2013, 03:50:04 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Also... it would save Boston a bit of money... Vasquez only makes 2 million next season.  The #6 pick (who was Damian Lillard last year) only makes 3.2 mil in year 1.   So you'd be trading 12 mil for 5 mil and freeing up 7 million (which I'm guessing the Pelicans could swallow with their cap space)...

It would probably save on a luxury tax bill or something... not really give us cap space.  But if KG retires (12.4 mil presumably off the books) and we waive Pierce (10 mil off the books)... I think we'd be sitting at 43 mil or so on the books.  Which (i think) would mean we'd actually have 14 mil in cap space to go out and sign someone like Big Al or Josh Smith.... but we'd probably be best off just tanking for another year.