Author Topic: Insider Trade Idea: Rondo to New Orleans  (Read 6419 times)

Insider Trade Idea: Rondo to New Orleans
« on: May 29, 2013, 12:27:40 PM »

Offline Sizzlack

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
Note: This is not based on any legitimate rumors, just an ESPN writer's ideas for trades he thinks make sense.

Here's the part about Rondo for those who don't subscribe to Insider:

"The New Orleans Pelicans trade the No. 6 pick and Greivis Vasquez to the Boston Celtics for Rajon Rondo.

If Danny Ainge is ready to hit the reset button in Boston, it's going to have to start with gathering young pieces while he gets his long-term payroll in order. Vasquez was one of the league's most improved players and offers a pretty fair amount of the same kind of production the Celtics have gotten from Rondo over the years. Plus, he's cheap and the lottery pick could be cashed in on a much-needed big man or shooting guard.

Boston also owns the No. 16 pick. Given that the Celtics were competitive without Rondo, this deal works even if Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett end up back in Boston for another run, and it gets the Celtics under the tax line.

For the Pelicans, the idea is to accelerate the development of a very nice young roster. Rondo, Anthony Davis, a hopefully healthy Eric Gordon, Ryan Anderson and Robin Lopez is an excellent foundation. Meanwhile, Austin Rivers could be developed as a sixth man. Like Cleveland, the time for New Orleans to add veteran pieces is coming sooner than you think. Gordon is already locked up with an eight-figure per year deal, and Davis will be getting one before you know it."

Thoughts?

Re: Insider Trade Idea: Rondo to New Orleans
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 12:31:07 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Not enough for me.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 12:32:15 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Also not enough for me.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 12:34:17 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
If it were the #1 or #2 pick I would go for it.  Not #6 though
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 12:38:50 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Agreed, not nearly enough for me. Lopez would have to be included for me to even have a conversation.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 12:41:36 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Add Jason Smith and we're good.  ;D

No really though, love the improvement of Mashed Potatoes and Greivis, but #6 and him for Rondo is not going to cut it. Even with Jason Smith on the deal.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 12:41:46 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Agreed, not nearly enough for me. Lopez would have to be included for me to even have a conversation.

Lopez isn't a guy that would sway it for me. Neither is Eric Gordon..honestly giving up an actual All-Star who is 26 on a great contract injury or no is worth more to me than anything that roster has to offer outside of Anthony Davis.

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 12:53:23 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I absolutely hate Vasquez, going back to his Maryland days. I would be extremely upset if this went down.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 12:55:12 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

Lopez isn't a guy that would sway it for me. Neither is Eric Gordon..honestly giving up an actual All-Star who is 26 on a great contract injury or no is worth more to me than anything that roster has to offer outside of Anthony Davis.

Yea not saying he would sway it for me but it would show NO's willingness to expand their offer.

If you're a believer in Gordan (not sure I am), then a package of Vasquez/Gordan/#6 would have to spark your interest.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 12:58:18 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
It violates the "never trade a quarter for dimes" dictum, unless Ainge is really, really high on whomever drops to #6.

Or, unless we could then flip #6 and #16 to someone for a higher pick (who presumably wouldn't want Rondo).

If the trade ended up being #16 and Rondo for #2, I think that would be pretty intriguing.

(I'm assuming CLE will not trade the #1 pick for that package.)

Edit: also, Vasquez just had surgery for bone spurs in his ankle, apparently.

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 01:05:56 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Yea not saying he would sway it for me but it would show NO's willingness to expand their offer.

If you're a believer in Gordan (not sure I am), then a package of Vasquez/Gordan/#6 would have to spark your interest.

TBH, not really. If we're giving up Rondo, I'm not taking on Gordon's uncertainty.

But I could see Danny potentially doing that trade. Hope he doesn't, but I could see it.

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 01:12:27 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
If it were the #1 or #2 pick I would go for it.  Not #6 though
I agree!!
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 01:18:50 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
It violates the "never trade a quarter for dimes" dictum, unless Ainge is really, really high on whomever drops to #6.

Or, unless we could then flip #6 and #16 to someone for a higher pick (who presumably wouldn't want Rondo).

If the trade ended up being #16 and Rondo for #2, I think that would be pretty intriguing.

(I'm assuming CLE will not trade the #1 pick for that package.)

Edit: also, Vasquez just had surgery for bone spurs in his ankle, apparently.

If we were able to get the #2 pick that would likely be for Mclemore because I really think Cle is taking Noel,

So would Vazquez and Mclemore be worth Rondo and #16?  Im not sure, but I think not.

It kinda falls under the Family guy Mystery box vs Boat Dilema
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 01:21:16 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I think Rondo is being overvalued WAAAAAY too much on this board.

If I could get a decent PG and a no 6 overall pick for Rondo, I'd do it.

Guarantee you will not see a better trade offer for an oft-injured turnover prone PG.

Fyi, there are also some pretty decent players available at the no 6 selection including centers Cody Zeller, Alex Len, Kelly Olynyk and Steven Adams in addition to PG Trey Burke.

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 01:25:00 PM »

Offline Sizzlack

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
I think Rondo is being overvalued WAAAAAY too much on this board.

If I could get a decent PG and a no 6 overall pick for Rondo, I'd do it.

Guarantee you will not see a better trade offer for an oft-injured turnover prone PG.

And I think that statement drastically undervalues Rondo. The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle between those two viewpoints.

A lottery pick, and a starting caliber PG is not a bad return for him, especially coming off ACL surgery. Not saying I necessarily want to do it, but it's an interesting idea at least.