Author Topic: What do you think is Avery Bradley's trade value?  (Read 6300 times)

Re: What do you think is Avery Bradley's trade value?
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2013, 08:18:45 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Unfortunately after last season and his playoff performance... not very high

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2013, 08:21:40 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
The only reason he isn't worth at least a late lottery pick is because lottery teams don't value Avery as much as established, playoff teams. There is no reason to believe he won't continue to be all-nba defense and, with the right pg [like Rondo], he can certainly find his niche on defense.

Teams overvalue their draft picks. He is certainly better than most players drafted 10-15 and any team would be lucky to have someone like him - either starting or off the bench.

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2013, 08:25:09 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If the Celtics were making a trade and offered the other team a choice of Bradley, the team's 2013 first-round pick, or the team's 2014 first-round pick (top-12 protected) as part of the deal, I think the majority of teams would take Bradley.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2013, 08:26:53 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
If the Celtics were making a trade and offered the other team a choice of Bradley, the team's 2013 first-round pick, or the team's 2014 first-round pick (top-12 protected) as part of the deal, I think the majority of teams would take Bradley.

I really doubt that. I think most teams (90%) would take the 2014 pick in a loaded draft, with the remainder evenly split between the 16th pick in this draft and Bradley.

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2013, 08:33:55 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
This comment is obviously not directed at everybody but It's amazing how fast some have soured on Bradley. I remember people saying not horribly long ago that a Bradley/Cousins swap was pretty fair.

Then if he comes out next year and gets off to a really hot start he will likely go back to being an elite prospect to some.

Gotta love New England sports.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 08:44:04 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
This comment is obviously not directed at everybody but It's amazing how fast some have soured on Bradley. I remember people saying not horribly long ago that a Bradley/Cousins swap was pretty fair.

Then if he comes out next year and gets off to a really hot start he will likely go back to being an elite prospect to some.

Gotta love New England sports.
It was predictable though.  It didn't take a rocket surgeon to see that his hype was generated by an insane month of hot shooting.  His shooting in high school, college, his rookie season, early 2012 and the playoffs all pointed to the very possible reality that his hot month during in a lockout shortened season was nothing more than a fluke... and people were ignoring the struggles he had on the defensive end against larger guards.

His popularity predictably fell to reality again when he struggled all season.  Still, there are some homers who refuse to let go of the dream... pointing to the absence of Rondo and the possibility of post-injury rust as the reason for Avery's lackluster season. 

He is what I always thought he was.  A poor man's Tony Allen with less offense and without the mental lapses.  Either that or Rich Man's Marcus Banks.  You could probably fetch a late 1st rounder for him.

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 08:46:52 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

Unfortunately? If he had kept up his performance, one wouldn't have wanted to trade him. (not directed at you at all)

Paradox... if he's bad, one wants to trade him but one won't get good value. If he's good, one doesn't wanna trade him even for good value.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2013, 08:48:22 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
The best trade value for Bradley is to package him with 1-3 other assets for a keystone piece.

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2013, 08:49:37 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Unfortunately? If he had kept up his performance, one wouldn't have wanted to trade him. (not directed at you at all)

Paradox... if he's bad, one wants to trade him but one won't get good value. If he's good, one doesn't wanna trade him even for good value.

I wanted to trade him before he came back from his injury at the trade deadline in a package for Cousins or Gortat. Either would have been a steal. Unfortunately both trades were unlikely anyway, and it's too late now.

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2013, 09:11:57 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
less than it was half a season ago

More than it was half a season ago because he's not injured.

If a team asks for a young player and a draft pick in return for an established veteran, I think some teams will prefer Bradley over Sullinger and some teams won't.

I think his value was over rated a half season ago. Once he came back and stunk on both ends of the floor, and let Felton abuse him, his value has really taken a hit. I find it hard to believe that any team would value him over Sullinger.

In all fairness, he returned from shoulder surgery on Jan 2nd, only to have Boston go on and win 6 of his first 7 games back. Rondo then tore his acl on Jan 25th. So they got to play a total of about 3 weeks together and Bradley was thrust into starting PG role, which is where he clearly does not belong. Thus, his play suffered.

He still managed to lead the league in fewest points per play allowed on defense, at 0.697.

He shot 40% from 3pt last season so he is capable and has a nice stroke.

He still needs to work on being more consistent with his outside shot and overall play (like most 22 year olds).

He will likely never be much of a playmaker but as long as he is playing with a decent PG he does not need to be.

He's a terrible passer. His passing is poor for a big man, never mind a guard. He is a mediocre shooter, and a very poor ball handler. He also cannot finish at the basket. He does only one thing well, and that is pressure the opposing teams point guard, which he couldn't even do against Felton. Combine all this with the fact that NBA refs more often than not won't allow him to use his defensive pressure without fouling, and the probability that he will break down at an early age from his style of play and body type, his value is very low.

He's one of the best cutters in the NBA. Elite level, knows when to move off ball, especially on the weak side. Guys like Bradley thrive playing along with guys like Rondo.

I think Bradley's worth more to this team than most others.

My hypothesis is that when Rondo comes back, Bradley starts scoring off him more and doesn't have to worry about handling the ball all the time/being the distributor. His confidence would sky rocket and then he would start to make his jump shots.

Wow, this "he's a good cutter" idea has gotten totally blown out of proportion. He was an ok cutter for a rookie. Elite NBA level cutter !?!?!? Really??? He got left open often because he is a poor offensive player among 4 all stars. Let's see how useful his cuts are when KG and Pierce are gone. Also, you have to finish for your cuts to be of any use.

Yes, I really do believe so. He's so good at cutting. He's made my jaw drop sometimes with how effortlessly he can create easy opportunities for himself. There are only a handful of other players in the NBA who can make cutting look so amazing for him, and that's why I consider him elite (Rip, Ray, Wade, among others). His timing is so great. I've went out of my way to even study some of his cuts some times because he's so natural at it.

This is the NBA. No matter how bad a player is, you can't let him get easy layups on you. There is no excuse for that. You won't see somebody say "This guy sucks on offense so I'm going to completely play off of him and not even bother to pay attention to him at all."

You don't have to be a sure fire HOF to hit an open cutter. Heck, throw me in there and I'm sure I could do good too. The fact of the matter is that the Celtics don't have me - they have Rondo. Rondo is an elite passer - I think Bradley would enjoy playing off him more than off Pierce/KG. And they did for half of a season 2 years ago.

He does finish them. He can make layups. Sure, he misses around 5-10% of them. That shouldn't mean you can magnify that percentage without looking at the other 90-95% of the time he finishes well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYvHBjcV8S8

You know you are at least a "good" cutter when someone makes a youtube video about your cuts.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2013, 09:17:30 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

If a team asks for a young player and a draft pick in return for an established veteran, I think some teams will prefer Bradley over Sullinger and some teams won't.

I think his value was over rated a half season ago. Once he came back and stunk on both ends of the floor, and let Felton abuse him, his value has really taken a hit. I find it hard to believe that any team would value him over Sullinger.

In all fairness, he returned from shoulder surgery on Jan 2nd, only to have Boston go on and win 6 of his first 7 games back. Rondo then tore his acl on Jan 25th. So they got to play a total of about 3 weeks together and Bradley was thrust into starting PG role, which is where he clearly does not belong. Thus, his play suffered.

He still managed to lead the league in fewest points per play allowed on defense, at 0.697.

He still needs to work on being more consistent with his outside shot and overall play (like most 22 year olds).

He will likely never be much of a playmaker but as long as he is playing with a decent PG he does not need to be.

He's a terrible passer. His passing is poor for a big man, never mind a guard. He is a mediocre shooter, and a very poor ball handler. He also cannot finish at the basket. He does only one thing well, and that is pressure the opposing teams point guard, which he couldn't even do against Felton. Combine all this with the fact that NBA refs more often than not won't allow him to use his defensive pressure without fouling, and the probability that he will break down at an early age from his style of play and body type, his value is very low.

He's one of the best cutters in the NBA. Elite level, knows when to move off ball, especially on the weak side. Guys like Bradley thrive playing along with guys like Rondo.

My hypothesis is that when Rondo comes back, Bradley starts scoring off him more and doesn't have to worry about handling the ball all the time/being the distributor. His confidence would sky rocket and then he would start to make his jump shots.

Wow, this "he's a good cutter" idea has gotten totally blown out of proportion. He was an ok cutter for a rookie. Elite NBA level cutter !?!?!? Really??? He got left open often because he is a poor offensive player among 4 all stars. Let's see how useful his cuts are when KG and Pierce are gone. Also, you have to finish for your cuts to be of any use.

Yes, I really do believe so. He's so good at cutting. He's made my jaw drop sometimes with how effortlessly he can create easy opportunities for himself. There are only a handful of other players in the NBA who can make cutting look so amazing for him, and that's why I consider him elite (Rip, Ray, Wade, among others). His timing is so great. I've went out of my way to even study some of his cuts some times because he's so natural at it.

This is the NBA. No matter how bad a player is, you can't let him get easy layups on you. There is no excuse for that. You won't see somebody say "This guy sucks on offense so I'm going to completely play off of him and not even bother to pay attention to him at all."

You don't have to be a sure fire HOF to hit an open cutter. Heck, throw me in there and I'm sure I could do good too. The fact of the matter is that the Celtics don't have me - they have Rondo. Rondo is an elite passer - I think Bradley would enjoy playing off him more than off Pierce/KG. And they did for half of a season 2 years ago.

He does finish them. He can make layups. Sure, he misses around 5-10% of them. That shouldn't mean you can magnify that percentage without looking at the other 90-95% of the time he finishes well.

You know you are at least a "good" cutter when someone makes a youtube video about your cuts.
Wow, this is a great post. TP.

Agree with everything except "throw me in there and I'm sure I could do good too." ;)
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2013, 09:22:40 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

To each his own. I'd rather have a legit basketball player who can do things like dribbling and passing and shooting than an undersized, unskilled guy who gets open because the defense focuses on 4 all-stars. And no, he doesn't finish 90-95% of the time, not even close.

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2013, 09:31:47 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.

To each his own. I'd rather have a legit basketball player who can do things like dribbling and passing and shooting than an undersized, unskilled guy who gets open because the defense focuses on 4 all-stars. And no, he doesn't finish 90-95% of the time, not even close.

I'd like to point out some of the more breathtaking cuts -

:38

:53 (made the opposing crowd oooh - Rondo + Bradley = Entertainment)

2:16 (take notice of his super quick change in direction)

2:36 (Rondo is just amazing and Bradley played off-ball offense so well)

3:22 (this one shows his utter basketball instincts - most other SGs would give up on the play and let KG take a contested fadeaway)

The 90-95% is an exaggeration, but he finishes better than average. He's capable of making easy shot opportunities, and that's something, right?

We haven't had 4 all-stars since the 2010-2011 season. Bradley's break out season was in the 2011-2012 season.

The dribbling and passing becomes null playing alongside Rondo. That's why I feel like Rondo is one of, if not, the best back court partner for Bradley. His shooting is the X factor, though, but as I stated before, I feel like it will improve when he gains confidence (which he should get more of playing alongside Rondo). Also take account the defensive potential - Rondo can play taller than his actual size because of his long arms (makes him 6'6-ish). Him playing SG on defense and having Bradley guard the point is a potent, and is what was the driving force in the '12 season.

I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2013, 11:57:49 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
It was predictable though.  It didn't take a rocket surgeon to see that his hype was generated by an insane month of hot shooting.  His shooting in high school, college, his rookie season, early 2012 and the playoffs all pointed to the very possible reality that his hot month during in a lockout shortened season was nothing more than a fluke... and people were ignoring the struggles he had on the defensive end against larger guards.

His 3p% as a HS senior was 38.6%.  His college 3P% was 37.5%.  It's quite reasonable to believe that 2011-2012 is closer to his true 3P shooting ability than 2012-2013.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2013, 12:11:10 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
My judgement on AB is still out. I think he is just to small to be a starting SG in this league. I love his defense, but my traditional lineups go more of what we have seen in the past with the Celtics. Rondo a pass first PG. Ray when he was here and run around/distract the defense deadly shooter. Pierce our go to guy can beat you any way. KG pick and roll/pick n pop player and a beast on the boards and defense. Perk perfect Center for a team like this, no need to score just D and rebound.

AB would be a great 6th man on this team. Can come in and play with Rondo and hit opposing teams bench with his defense and backdoor cuts.

Me with AB is he got away from what made him really good last season. He didn't cut as much. Relied on his jumper to much and picked up his dribble way to much. Thats what hurts him. If he could handle the ball like a PG then i would say yes he could play with Rondo cause then he could create for himself but he cant. So we'll see. I love AB but wouldn't be the first to cry if he got sent in a deal to get us something great.