Author Topic: What do you think is Avery Bradley's trade value?  (Read 6297 times)

What do you think is Avery Bradley's trade value?
« on: May 27, 2013, 07:10:15 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
With all the talk focusing on Pierce and Garnett deals, let's shift the focus.

Not really asking if you would trade Bradley, but what you think his value is.

By now we all know what Bradley is good at, and what he needs to work on.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: What do you think is Avery Bradley's trade value?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 07:11:27 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
less than it was half a season ago

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 07:15:23 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

More than it was half a season ago because he's not injured.

If a team asks for a young player and a draft pick in return for an established veteran, I think some teams will prefer Bradley over Sullinger and some teams won't.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 07:17:00 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

If a team asks for a young player and a draft pick in return for an established veteran, I think some teams will prefer Bradley over Sullinger and some teams won't.

I think his value was over rated a half season ago. Once he came back and stunk on both ends of the floor, and let Felton abuse him, his value has really taken a hit. I find it hard to believe that any team would value him over Sullinger. His lack of basketball skills has been exposed.

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 07:19:24 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
With Raymond Felton looking like an All Star being defended by Avery, I'd say no so much.

There would still be teams who will love his defensive tenacity and potential. But I don't think his value would land us a top 15 pick anymore.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 07:21:16 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

I think his value was over rated a half season ago. Once he came back and stunk on both ends of the floor, and let Felton abuse him, his value has really taken a hit. I find it hard to believe that any team would value him over Sullinger.

In all fairness, he returned from shoulder surgery on Jan 2nd, only to have Boston go on and win 6 of his first 7 games back. Rondo then tore his acl on Jan 25th. So they got to play a total of about 3 weeks together and Bradley was thrust into starting PG role, which is where he clearly does not belong. Thus, his play suffered.

He still managed to lead the league in fewest points per play allowed on defense, at 0.697.

He shot 40% from 3pt last season so he is capable and has a nice stroke.

He still needs to work on being more consistent with his outside shot and overall play (like most 22 year olds).

He will likely never be much of a playmaker but as long as he is playing with a decent PG he does not need to be.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 07:24:26 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

I think his value was over rated a half season ago. Once he came back and stunk on both ends of the floor, and let Felton abuse him, his value has really taken a hit. I find it hard to believe that any team would value him over Sullinger.

In all fairness, he returned from shoulder surgery on Jan 2nd, only to have Boston go on and win 6 of his first 7 games back. Rondo then tore his acl on Jan 25th. So they got to play a total of about 3 weeks together and Bradley was thrust into starting PG role, which is where he clearly does not belong. Thus, his play suffered.

He still managed to lead the league in fewest points per play allowed on defense, at 0.697.

He still needs to work on being more consistent with his outside shot and overall play (like most 22 year olds).

He will likely never be much of a playmaker but as long as he is playing with a decent PG he does not need to be.

He's a terrible passer. His passing is poor for a big man, never mind a guard. He is a mediocre shooter, and a very poor ball handler. He also cannot finish at the basket. He does only one thing well, and that is pressure the opposing teams point guard, which he couldn't even do against Felton. Combine all this with the fact that NBA refs more often than not won't allow him to use his defensive pressure without fouling, and the probability that he will break down at an early age from his style of play and body type, his value is very low.

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 07:41:54 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

I think his value was over rated a half season ago. Once he came back and stunk on both ends of the floor, and let Felton abuse him, his value has really taken a hit. I find it hard to believe that any team would value him over Sullinger. His lack of basketball skills has been exposed.

He's still going to be a guy who is a likely first or second team All-Defense next season and who will deserve the accolade.  It is reasonable to believe he can still develop into a 12-15ppg guy on offense.  I wouldn't trade him for your typical athletic, low BB IQ project big who often gets drafted in the second half of the first round.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 07:44:44 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

He's still going to be a guy who is a likely first or second team All-Defense next season and who will deserve the accolade.  It is reasonable to believe he can still develop into a 12-15ppg guy on offense.  I wouldn't trade him for your typical athletic, low BB IQ project big who often gets drafted in the second half of the first round.

I wouldn't either. We are already going to get one of those with our own pick at 16 anyway. Lots of teams are trying to trade out of this draft. I don't think Bradley plus our pick gets you into the lottery though.

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 07:47:49 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
He's not what he could be worth, fwiw
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 07:50:12 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
He's a great additional piece in a trade. He couldn't be the main part and expect to get some thing other than maybe a late first round or trade exception at best.

Team him up with a PP or KG makes him a bonus to the trade for a team, they get a defensive bench guy who can start some games if needed.

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 08:00:25 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
late 1st rounder.  I don't believe you can get a lotto pick for Avery Bradley.  Deeply flawed player. 

He defends really well, but most of that comes down to effort... and that effort comes at the expense of his offensive game.  It's hard to go balls to the wall on one end and still have energy to play at the other.  And although he's a solid man-on-man defender, he's too small to deal with larger guards and Boston's defense was essentially even with or without him on the court.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 08:05:32 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 08:08:13 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.

He's a terrible passer. His passing is poor for a big man, never mind a guard. He is a mediocre shooter, and a very poor ball handler. He also cannot finish at the basket. He does only one thing well, and that is pressure the opposing teams point guard, which he couldn't even do against Felton. Combine all this with the fact that NBA refs more often than not won't allow him to use his defensive pressure without fouling, and the probability that he will break down at an early age from his style of play and body type, his value is very low.

He's one of the best cutters in the NBA. Elite level, knows when to move off ball, especially on the weak side. Guys like Bradley thrive playing along with guys like Rondo.

I think Bradley's worth more to this team than most others.

My hypothesis is that when Rondo comes back, Bradley starts scoring off him more and doesn't have to worry about handling the ball all the time/being the distributor. His confidence would sky rocket and then he would start to make his jump shots.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 08:16:25 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

He's one of the best cutters in the NBA. Elite level, knows when to move off ball, especially on the weak side. Guys like Bradley thrive playing along with guys like Rondo.

I think Bradley's worth more to this team than most others.

My hypothesis is that when Rondo comes back, Bradley starts scoring off him more and doesn't have to worry about handling the ball all the time/being the distributor. His confidence would sky rocket and then he would start to make his jump shots.

Wow, this "he's a good cutter" idea has gotten totally blown out of proportion. He was an ok cutter for a rookie. Elite NBA level cutter !?!?!? Really??? He got left open often because he is a poor offensive player among 4 all stars. Let's see how useful his cuts are when KG and Pierce are gone. Also, you have to finish for your cuts to be of any use.

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2013, 08:16:29 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I'd say a first round pick in the late teens or twenties.

For a young player exchange, I would think a borderline starter. Someone with a low ceiling. Maybe a Courtney Lee type (in his younger days obviously).

For a veteran player -- someone who is overpaid and is on a long contract -- I would think someone who is a top 15 player at their respective position. Or a bit less depending on how bad the contract is.