Author Topic: Hypothetical: Pierce for Amar'e?  (Read 2750 times)

Re: Hypothetical: Pierce for Amar'e?
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2013, 03:56:04 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
Sending PIerce to the team that knocked us out in the first round WITHOUT Amare?

No thanks
DKC Suns

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2013, 03:56:59 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I don't think the Knicks would deal Shumpert as he's turned out to be a pretty good player for them. BUT, if they agreed to what you've proposed, sign me up!

Shumpert is basically Paul Pierce, only years younger and better at this stage.

Shumpert is a good player but there is no grounds for comparing him to Pierce. Aside from playing different positions and having remarkably different games...

Pierce is first-ballot and Shumpert is...the 4th or 5th option on a 2nd round out.

That said I think if out veterans are leaving we should use our cap space to bring in young guys and get picks. I really wouldn't mind a full blown tank this coming season. I know there is a stigma to that but with Parker and Wiggins almost certain to be stars I'd let PP/KG retire, have Rondo sit out like DRose did, and get a top 5 pick. Amare can be as injured as he wants as long as we're getting Shumpert and 2 picks for him while moving Bass's contract.

If they are super high on Shumpert I'd be fine with swapping him out for an unprotected 1st rounder =)

Honestly, if there is any team in the league poised to take on Amar'e, it's the Knicks. They are already a somewhat aging team in 'win-now' mode. Amar'e does have the potential to have some success in the next couple of years and NY could very well use that edge. It would be really stupid of them to trade assets just to get rid of a player that could be really big for them.

I get that maybe they would rather have a player like Pierce, but not at the expense of their other younger players / draft picks.

It's more that they get cap flexibility and can add stars to Carmello sooner rather than later. Pierce is actually a valuable asset right now which is why I don't see him being waived by the C's. He's a huge cap relief this summer and I'd be surprised if the C's let that go without seeing a return.

Additionally Amare's contract is one of the few uninsurable  contracts in the league. That is pretty toxic from the standpoint of an owner. That is the reason I doubt the C's would do something like this. Amare is the worst contract in the NBA right now. Kobe is probably second =)

There is no way the Knicks do not do this. Paul for Amare is an incredibly lopsided deal. It would be better for the Celtics to not pick up Pierce's option than to be stuck with Amare's contract. Amare brings negative value to a team.

Not if we're tanking. He is valuable for tanking! HA

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2013, 03:57:26 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Terrible move for a team so close to rebuilding. 

Do not take on longer contracts of shell of former players.

It's exactly the sort of move that a rebuilding team should make...if you get good draft picks out of it and the Knicks won't.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2013, 06:36:55 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Honestly, if there is any team in the league poised to take on Amar'e, it's the Knicks. They are already a somewhat aging team in 'win-now' mode. Amar'e does have the potential to have some success in the next couple of years and NY could very well use that edge. It would be really stupid of them to trade assets just to get rid of a player that could be really big for them.

I get that maybe they would rather have a player like Pierce, but not at the expense of their other younger players / draft picks.

It's more that they get cap flexibility and can add stars to Carmello sooner rather than later. Pierce is actually a valuable asset right now which is why I don't see him being waived by the C's. He's a huge cap relief this summer and I'd be surprised if the C's let that go without seeing a return.

Additionally Amare's contract is one of the few uninsurable  contracts in the league. That is pretty toxic from the standpoint of an owner. That is the reason I doubt the C's would do something like this. Amare is the worst contract in the NBA right now. Kobe is probably second =)

So I am pretty sure we basically agree that Amare's contract is horrible. To get rid of him, the Knicks would have to give up much more. I guess what I am saying is the Knicks would be better off seeing if Amar'e can actually have a rejuvenated season, while you think getting rid of his contract would allow the Knicks to add stars...but how?

I believe their best bet is taking a chance at seeing if Amar'e is the 'star' to go next to Carmelo.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 06:42:12 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2013, 06:44:09 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
no thanks

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 08:21:45 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I might do something like this

Pierce, Bass, Terry

for

Amare, Novak, Shumpert
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 09:08:40 PM »

Offline mcshane41

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 14
If going this route I'd much rather take on a contract like Boozer who will actually suit up for most games.

I'd agree here. Amar'e has sizzle, his offense next to KG's D would be something but I'd want some more assets from NY, after all they are getting the better contract in this.

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2013, 11:23:41 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I might do something like this

Pierce, Bass, Terry

for

Amare, Novak, Shumpert

If the Knicks agreed to it, I think this would be a great move for the Celts!

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2013, 02:37:00 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Amare is a broken player in last 2 seasons. Is not worthy

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2013, 02:47:12 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Wow trading swapping one worn out dude for another makes no sense.   Just keep Pierce , if this is all it nets.

Pierce can still have his moments , if he'll just decide that keeping his body ready off the bench is OK.

Pierce will break down, get about 10 minor injuries and stink, if he tries to play big minutes and start all season.

If he'd keep his time way down and come off the bench at key times he'd be a good value.