Author Topic: If Danny buys out the captain I won't follow C's next season  (Read 4722 times)

Re: If Danny buys out the captain I won't follow C's next season
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2013, 08:06:53 AM »

Offline Mr Green

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
And another thing that's kind of bugged me as of late. When Ray Allen took his talents to south beach this place exploded with people call him a trader and saying he had no loyalty. But now it seems that many people want Paul to get dumped.

Exactly, peeps can't have their cake and eat it too.

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2013, 08:13:17 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I'm also hoping for KG and PP to retire as Celtics.

If they do, then Danny might be able to point to that when trying to recruit stars in future; that Boston has a history of treating its franchise cornerstones respectfully at the end of their careers. Bird and McHae are other examples. Regardless of that, they've earned the right to go out on their terms plus they're both in Wyc's good books.

KG should also be given some sort of assistant coaching position when his playing days are done, even if it's a token one. Having him just ride off into the sunset would badly affect the ongoing blue collar work ethic of the club.

False on both counts. First Kg and Paul retiring as celtics has zero effect on what free agents decide to come here. You think Lebron would say oh look Kg and Pierce retired as a celtics, that organization is so great in treating their players right by letting the players finish they careers with the team. with so let me go join them. I'm sorry but it doesn't work that way. Even the Great Larry Bird didn't retire with the Celtics. I was surprised when I found that out years ago.

Second the Celtics doesn't owe Kg any coaching position and it doesn't affect negatively on them. Maybe Kg doesn't want anything to do with coaching at all when he retires and just wants to spend time with those close to him.

First of all Larry only ever played for the Celtics. He may have coached elsewhere but he retired as a player in Boston. That's what I'm talking about. Not sure what you mean.

Second of all, how do you know what effect their retirement in Boston may or may not have on other free agents? I said it was a possibility. I also said 'franchise cornerstones' not 'players'. There's a big difference.

I guess I'm just not the type of person who would just put old sick grandma in a retirement home to rot away after she has dedicated her best years to supporting the family, while others appear happy to do so because the 'grass is greener' elsewhere. Loyalty is Royalty.

Fine post. Very much in agreement with your sentiment. TP.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2013, 08:20:15 AM »

Offline Mr Green

• Jrue Holiday

If they do, then Danny might be able to point to that when trying to recruit stars in future; that Boston has a history of treating its franchise cornerstones respectfully at the end of their careers. Bird and McHae are other examples. Regardless of that, they've earned the right to go out on their terms plus they're both in Wyc's good books.

KG should also be given some sort of assistant coaching position when his playing days are done, even if it's a token one. Having him just ride off into the sunset would badly affect the ongoing blue collar work ethic of the club.

False on both counts. First Kg and Paul retiring as celtics has zero effect on what free agents decide to come here. You think Lebron would say oh look Kg and Pierce retired as a celtics, that organization is so great in treating their players right by letting the players finish they careers with the team. with so let me go join them. I'm sorry but it doesn't work that way. Even the Great Larry Bird didn't retire with the Celtics. I was surprised when I found that out years ago.

Second the Celtics doesn't owe Kg any coaching position and it doesn't affect negatively on them. Maybe Kg doesn't want anything to do with coaching at all when he retires and just wants to spend time with those close to him.

KG has earned over $328,500,000 in salary playing in the NBA (exclusive of endorsements). He's not playing at the age of 37 years on bad wheels because he needs the money. He's still playing because he bleeds green. So I would suggest that he would be interested in coaching after he retires so he can spend time with those close to him ... the Celtics.

Source: http://nesn.com/2012/08/kevin-garnett-leads-list-of-nba-players-with-highest-career-salary-earnings-celtics-had-four-of-top/

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2013, 09:12:00 AM »

Offline Afam

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
Deleted.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 11:53:13 AM by Afam »

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2013, 09:15:16 AM »

Offline Afam

• Joe Mazzulla
Deleted.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 11:53:38 AM by Afam »

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 09:18:56 AM »

Offline Afam

• Joe Mazzulla
Deleted.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 11:54:19 AM by Afam »

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 09:23:51 AM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 279
So, you're not a C's fan then?

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2013, 09:51:51 AM »

Offline Afam

• Joe Mazzulla
Deleted.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 11:54:54 AM by Afam »

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2013, 10:01:30 AM »

Offline Mr Green

• Jrue Holiday

KG has earned over $328,500,000 in salary playing in the NBA (exclusive of endorsements). He's not playing at the age of 37 years on bad wheels because he needs the money. He's still playing because he bleeds green. So I would suggest that he would be interested in coaching after he retires so he can spend time with those close to him ... the Celtics.

Source: http://nesn.com/2012/08/kevin-garnett-leads-list-of-nba-players-with-highest-career-salary-earnings-celtics-had-four-of-top/

That's not how the nba works. If it was based on who has made the most money, Lebron would be a coach after he retires. Heck even Kobe or ray Allen too. Kg seems like the type of player who would just fade into the sunset or do something in the tv media. He might even be part of the celtics organization is some small capacity but not coaching.

You haven't read any of my posts properly.

It has nothing to do with the money, of which KG has bucketloads. He is still playing at 37 years of age on bad legs because he loves the Celtics and still has something to prove to himself.

My suggestion as to him coaching is a separate issue altogether. KG has established a legacy with the club which I don't think he will just simply walk away from upon hanging up his high tops.

If you haven't yet been able to comprehend the impact that KG has had on the Celtics' culture since he arrived then I can't really help you with that. So like Janet Jackson sang you probably won't know what you've got till it's gone. Just like Larry when he apparently ended his playing days elsewhere...

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2013, 10:07:59 AM »

Offline Afam

• Joe Mazzulla
Deleted.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 11:56:52 AM by Afam »

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2013, 10:21:25 AM »

Offline Afam

• Joe Mazzulla
Deleted.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 11:55:48 AM by Afam »

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2013, 11:53:59 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I don't agree with this position that only the name on the front of the jersey matters. If you're a player I hate and you come to the Celtics I'm still going to hate you. And if the Celtics built a team of players I couldn't stand then I'd have to walk away from the team until those players got replaced.I'd still say I was a Celtics fan but Id point out "not right now."

And another thing that's kind of bugged me as of late. When Ray Allen took his talents to south beach this place exploded with people call him a trader and saying he had no loyalty. But now it seems that many people want Paul to get dumped.

Not everyone thinks the way you do. I'm a celtics fan and I will always root for them even when they do some stupid stuff. I might Stopping watching a few games to show my digust with them, but I wouldn't totally give up on them. Also I wasn't a celtics fan because of Paul pierce and co, but instead i became a fan of the team in general.

You can quote multiple posts... You don't need to make 8 posts in this thread just to quote one lol.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2013, 12:01:40 PM »

Offline badshar

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
There's something more important than getting a championship. Pierce has stood for the culture of this team for more than a decade. His value is much more than the contribution on the court, and his current contract was actually a bargain for the Celtics at the time Pierce agreed the deal.

If Danny dumps Pierce just to lower the payroll for one single season, I simply won't follow the Celtics next season, and we know they're not going to contend anyway. Moreover, I bet somewhere a bald dude will laugh at us if it really happens.

Actually pierce voiced that he wanted out of Boston and was also a terd for quite a bit of his celtics tenure. He wouldn't be here and he's only here because Danny got him some help in KG and Ray. So Pierce actually owes a lot to Ainge.
You're missing the point as to why pierce would be waived. He'd never be dumped just for payroll purposes for the Celtics. He's worth more to the organization just selling jerseys and tickets than to just dump him...we'd still be over the cap. He'd be dumped so another team can use his contract as a way to lower their payroll thus giving us assets, or he'd be dumped to a contender so they can use his veteran leadership to actually win a championship, again to give us assets.
Pierce will always be a Celtic. If we can get something that gets us closer to the next championship for his whale of a deal then that's great, the name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back, and Pierce knows this and understands that whatever happens, happens.
The day the Lakers overtake us is a sad day. If he were to get rid of Pierce, no matter what route he takes, Pierce will be picked up by a contender one way or the other.

Ps. There's nothing that's more important than winning a championship
Pierce never said that he wanted out. He asked to either be traded or to be surrounded with better help.

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2013, 12:08:46 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
Nice knowing you
DKC Suns

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2013, 12:11:38 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1551
There's something more important than getting a championship. Pierce has stood for the culture of this team for more than a decade. His value is much more than the contribution on the court, and his current contract was actually a bargain for the Celtics at the time Pierce agreed the deal.

If Danny dumps Pierce just to lower the payroll for one single season, I simply won't follow the Celtics next season, and we know they're not going to contend anyway. Moreover, I bet somewhere a bald dude will laugh at us if it really happens.

so long then pal. I will still support the CELTICS through thick and thin like i have since 1983 and I am sure others will as well who have have supported them longer than me like C's fan since 60's.
LET'S GO CELTICS!