Author Topic: KG or PP who is more valuable to Celtics  (Read 3037 times)

Re: KG or PP who is more valuable to Celtics
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2013, 10:41:07 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Both. :'( One without the other is useless.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2013, 11:17:09 PM »

Offline celtic -_- pride

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 60
  • Stuff & Things
PP and KG are like Siamese twins. you separate one from the other and they will die. ( this may not be biologically accurate) but you get the point
[img width= height=]http://s7.postimg.org/jsyw5qrez/banner.jpg[/img]

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2013, 11:23:41 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
it seems the consensus here is that if we have to move either one it will be PP. I don't understand why we pick KG over PP. Is it because we lack size? It definitely cannot be because of age or health.

KG for defensive purposes -- but we still need a legitimate center
and he's got a contagious mentality, tho i'm not attached to either at this point.

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2013, 11:02:58 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Rondo's impact on the offense is severely overrated:

yes, because we were SOOOOOO efficient without a real PG in the playoffs   ::)

I just scratch my head at the mentality that this team didn't miss Rondo.  unreal
Meh.  Did you read the quote after it?

Our offense was bad either way.

Gotta love it. You spent months telling everyone the team wouldn't miss a beat in the playoffs without Rondo, watched them struggle mightily to score without him against a bad defensive Knicks team (like so many people said they would), and you're right back to beating that dead horse. Classic.

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2013, 12:21:00 PM »

Offline Accension13

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 5
Pierce is and has been a great player fur the c's, but he is very inefficient offensively. It's basically feast or famine with him the past couple of years (especially playoffs).

Kg on the other hand is an all time great. Even with all the accolades he has received throughout the years,  I think his impact on a team is vastly underrated. To me,  kg is very comparable to Duncan.  If Duncan is the all time best pf, kg had got to be number 2. He is nowhere near the player he used to be,  but if u put him on any reasonably complete team they become a legit title contender. 

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2013, 11:49:19 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
The last time I checked both guys (Pierce and KG) Statistically had a similar level of impact, only on opposite ends of the floor.   

Basically our defense got about 13 points worse (allowed 13 PPP more) when KG sat down, and our offense got about 13 points wirse (scored 13 PPP less) when Pierce sat down.  At the time those two guys had the highest individual impacts on the team with KG's net impact being the stronger of the two.

But IMHO KG is more imporant to the Celtics right now because Jeff Green has emerged as a guy we can lean on to provide offense (20.5 PPG and 52% FG in 17 regualr season starts, 20.3 PPG in 6 playoff starts) - that makes Pierce far more expendable because now we have another guy who can score in bunches when Pierce is not on the court.

On the other hand the KG issues still remains.  When KG goes to the bench we have Wilcox, Randolf, White, Sullinger, Bass who can come in at center.  Sullinger and Bass are the only guys in that group who have any ability in terms of low post defense, but they are both way too short for the center spot.  No matter who we put in, we still get slaughtered any time KG sits.

To add to all of this, Pierce is easier to trade right now.  His $16M contact can be bought out for $5M if another team acquires him be a certain date, and that means he's a viable trade target not only for good teams who want to make a title run, but also for any team who wants to buy $16M of cap space for $5M. 

Then add to this the fact that Pierce and Green don't really work that well together.  Playing both guys means you either need to play Pierce at SG or play Green at PF - both options are a compromise and means we aren't making optimal use of one of those guys. We could bring one off the bench but Green clearly plays FAR better as a starter, and Pierce would not likely accept a bench role.  That means one of the guys will probably go.  Pierce is 35 years old, only has prboably 2 years left in the league, and is due $16M next season.  Jeff is only 27 and has another 6-8 years left in him, and he's only due $9M next season.  From a GM's point of view the decision is somewhat if a no brainer. 

KG is replacable if (and only if) we can find some way to pick up a starting calibre center who can give us at least 30 productive minutes per night.  I'm thinking Marcin Gortat, Emeka Okafor, Demarcus Cousins, Al Jefferson...even DeAndre Jordan.  Jordan wouldn't come close to replacing what KG gives us, but he would at least fill part of the hole that would be created if KG left.  If that's not possible then we really have no other true center on the roster, so KG remains a critical part of the team.