Author Topic: Paul Pierce being released by June 30 (rumor from Cleveland reporter)  (Read 9036 times)

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I think this is mumbo jumbo. I am betting a dozen tommy points that Pierce and Garnett are back next season in green.

I have no doubt Ainge is highly tempted to move one of them or both. But at the end of the day, I just don't think he's going to get equal value.

Bank on it ;)

Offline aferris77

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 1
The whole idea of Pierce leaving would sadden me greatly, as he's always bled Green. I remember being at the game in 2002 vs the Nets when they came back from 21 down in the 4th (and 25 in the late 3rd), with Pierce atop the scorer's table pounding his chest afterwards in victory.

BTW. I've seen other reports of this on the web, but it's all based on Bob Finnan, so while "sources" are unfounded, so is Bob Finnan. If not, then Danny better not only have a good plan in mind, but execute it successfully too.

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Cutting him only makes sense if the ownership mandated that they get under the tax apron, but I bet they can do that by giving away someone else to get under.

If they cut him they will not be able replace his talent with a similarly talented player. I think we either deal him before June 30th or keep him until the trade deadline.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Cutting him only makes sense if the ownership mandated that they get under the tax apron, but I bet they can do that by giving away someone else to get under.

Can they do that without giving up a draft pick?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
if so, June 30th 2013 will be the worst day in my life

Nice life you lead.

awful and funny at the same time. smh
yeah, i know, but true fact...i'm 23 and so far i can't complain, so losing our captain for some money he WILL earn is stupid, i bet teams will be lining up to sign him
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
losing our captain for some money he WILL earn is stupid, i bet teams will be lining up to sign him

DA knows that, too, and that's why he'll have to see something *really good* before he does any kind of trade, in my humble opnion.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

I do think ownerships say they want to keep them for the public and probably say another to DA behind closed doors.   They do not want to be the bad guys.

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Pierce will not be bought out before the NBA Draft on June 27th. His contract has significant trade value, I expect Ainge will try to use it up until draft night.

Re: Paul Pierce being released by June 30
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2013, 12:08:50 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
From Bob Finnan, a News-Herald guy who covers the Cavs (I think):

Sources indicate Celtics director of basketball operations Danny Ainge will likely buy out forward Paul Pierce's $15 million contract for next year ($5 million is guaranteed). If that happens, Grant should be first in line to try to acquire Pierce's services. However, before anyone gets too giddy, Pierce will likely want to go to a serious contender.

I'd like to know what the sources are before giving merit to this, but it wouldn't surprise me with the Doc leaving rumors going on.

Buying out Pierce without any intention of resigning him for less money makes little sense. It doesn't free up any money to sign FAs.

The only way it makes any sense is if Danny is trying to force KGs hand to waive his no trade clause, but again that's an even worse development because none of the rumored KG trades were even remotely satisfying.

I'm starting to feel that Danny has really lost his way as a GM and is starting to panic. That is, if this report is true.

You wouldn't have taken the bledsoe and Jordan trade? I don't even think that would put the Clippers over the top but it would at least set us up with a big and a future pg or tradable asset.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Rich Levine ‏@rich_levine 4h
Spoke to someone with the Celtics last night, and they laughed off the recent report that the Celtics are "likely" to buy out Pierce.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The "buy out" just doesn't make sense to me. 

It does not create cap room to sign a replacement.

Better to either let Pierce play out his contract or wait for a better trade offer.

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
How would a Cavs reporter know? I won't trust it
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Well, at least THIS rumor isn't from Incarcerated Bob.......

« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2013, 04:35:22 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

Sources indicate Celtics director of basketball operations Danny Ainge will likely buy out forward Paul Pierce's $15 million contract for next year ($5 million is guaranteed). If that happens, Grant should be first in line to try to acquire Pierce's services. However, before anyone gets too giddy, Pierce will likely want to go to a serious contender.

I'd like to know what the sources are before giving merit to this, but it wouldn't surprise me with the Doc leaving rumors going on.

Buying out Pierce without any intention of resigning him for less money makes little sense. It doesn't free up any money to sign FAs.

The only way it makes any sense is if Danny is trying to force KGs hand to waive his no trade clause, but again that's an even worse development because none of the rumored KG trades were even remotely satisfying.

I'm starting to feel that Danny has really lost his way as a GM and is starting to panic. That is, if this report is true.

You wouldn't have taken the bledsoe and Jordan trade? I don't even think that would put the Clippers over the top but it would at least set us up with a big and a future pg or tradable asset.
I would prob do that but how about Dj a complete no show in the playoffs and with his FT shooting cant even keep him in during crunch time
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2013, 06:35:38 PM »

Offline badshar

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72

You should know one thing by now. If we did trade for Jordan and Bledsoe, they would not have been our future. They would be the assets (like Al Jefferson and others) that would bring a superstar to the team.