Author Topic: Paul Pierce being released by June 30 (rumor from Cleveland reporter)  (Read 9038 times)

Re: Paul Pierce being released by June 30
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2013, 05:28:06 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Here lately, unless it's from CBS Sports' Ken Berger or Yahoo's Adrian Wajnoski, I don't read too much into it.

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
You going to hear all kind of rumors from now till training camp with trades and FA signings..so i wont believe anything until it's official!!
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
if so, June 30th 2013 will be the worst day in my life
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

Nice life you lead.

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

Nice life you lead.

awful and funny at the same time. smh

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I seriously don't get the buyout Pierce angle.

Unless we get someone who as productive as Paul's production last year via FA, why release him when he only has one more year in his contract? Why not just let him play, he can still be helping this team. Are we just releasing Paul to save salary? Who are we signing with that cap room we just saved? Is he going to average 18/5/6 a game?

Same as trading him, unless we're getting someone who can produce like he does, why the heck do we have to trade Paul?

He has one year left, let him play that contract out.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline albas89

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
This doesn't make sense at all... I don't think Ainge is THAT dumb! However, I do believe he's about to start panicking, so... you never know!
"Life has so many hurdles. Some of them I've hopped over, some of them I've tripped over. The key is to get back up and finish the race."- Paul Pierce

And he did finish...

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He'll either be moved via trade or be here but not released as I see it.

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Only thing that is certain is that PP will not be making 15 mil. next year. Would not be surprised to see his sign with the C's at a discount.

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Unless we get someone who as productive as Paul's production last year via FA, why release him when he only has one more year in his contract? Why not just let him play, he can still be helping this team. Are we just releasing Paul to save salary? Who are we signing with that cap room we just saved? Is he going to average 18/5/6 a game?

Same as trading him, unless we're getting someone who can produce like he does, why the heck do we have to trade Paul?

If you waive Pierce, then acquire a big contract player in the summer of 2014, it means you might avoid paying the repeater luxury tax.  If you think the window is closed and envision a quick rebuild, that makes building the next contender more financially viable.  Depending on how ownership feels about shelling out money, it may be more important than how getting rid of Pierce affects the team's drafting position.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

Even worst than June 17, 2010?!  :o

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

If you waive Pierce, then acquire a big contract player in the summer of 2014, it means you might avoid paying the repeater luxury tax.  If you think the window is closed and envision a quick rebuild, that makes building the next contender more financially viable.  Depending on how ownership feels about shelling out money, it may be more important than how getting rid of Pierce affects the team's drafting position.

But Pierce's going to expire next year, we would still have that 15 clear in 2014 regardless. We'll be way under the cap by then. Why release a still productive expiring contract? Again, unless we can use that cleared room to get someone as productive.

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

But Pierce's going to expire next year, we would still have that 15 clear in 2014 regardless. We'll be way under the cap by then. Why release a still productive expiring contract? Again, unless we can use that cleared room to get someone as productive.

Maybe I wasn't clear.  It would be to avoid paying the luxury tax for 2013-2014.  That affects team spending for the seasons after that.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Re: Paul Pierce being released by June 30
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2013, 08:29:39 PM »

Offline bobbyv

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
Gross. We're not going to be legit contenders for a while anyway, so why not have pierce retire as a celtic, a 1 team star HoFer?
Because he prevents us from full-blown tanking.  Nothing worse than mediocrity in this league.  Bottoming out is the best way to kick-start a rebuild.

Wiggins or bust!
I guess it's bust then, because the chances of us getting Wiggins is slim

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Maybe I wasn't clear.  It would be to avoid paying the luxury tax for 2013-2014.  That affects team spending for the seasons after that.

Okay, I understand now. I get it now.

With that being said, that's sad if they do release Paul.