Author Topic: Paul Pierce being released by June 30 (rumor from Cleveland reporter)  (Read 9068 times)

Offline aferris77

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 1
From Bob Finnan, a News-Herald guy who covers the Cavs (I think):

Sources indicate Celtics director of basketball operations Danny Ainge will likely buy out forward Paul Pierce's $15 million contract for next year ($5 million is guaranteed). If that happens, Grant should be first in line to try to acquire Pierce's services. However, before anyone gets too giddy, Pierce will likely want to go to a serious contender.

I'd like to know what the sources are before giving merit to this, but it wouldn't surprise me with the Doc leaving rumors going on.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 05:34:15 PM by wdleehi »

Re: Paul Pierce being released by June 30
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 02:59:29 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Gross. We're not going to be legit contenders for a while anyway, so why not have pierce retire as a celtic, a 1 team star HoFer?

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 03:06:46 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Gross. We're not going to be legit contenders for a while anyway, so why not have pierce retire as a celtic, a 1 team star HoFer?
Because he prevents us from full-blown tanking.  Nothing worse than mediocrity in this league.  Bottoming out is the best way to kick-start a rebuild.

Wiggins or bust!

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 03:08:09 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Sources indicate Celtics director of basketball operations Danny Ainge will likely buy out forward Paul Pierce's $15 million contract for next year ($5 million is guaranteed). If that happens, Grant should be first in line to try to acquire Pierce's services. However, before anyone gets too giddy, Pierce will likely want to go to a serious contender.

I'd like to know what the sources are before giving merit to this, but it wouldn't surprise me with the Doc leaving rumors going on.

What a bummer this will be if it's true.

The rational part of me understands the logic - and might even be in favor of the move.

But the emotional side of me hates it.

Regardless I'll be first in line to throw PP a parade whenever he hangs them up. He's become one of the all-time Boston greats in any sport.

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 03:15:03 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

Buying out Pierce without any intention of resigning him for less money makes little sense. It doesn't free up any money to sign FAs.

The only way it makes any sense is if Danny is trying to force KGs hand to waive his no trade clause, but again that's an even worse development because none of the rumored KG trades were even remotely satisfying.

I'm starting to feel that Danny has really lost his way as a GM and is starting to panic. That is, if this report is true.

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 03:16:39 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Bob Finnan isn't all that reliable. Or accurate.

I wouldn't take this as anything other than a regurgitation of recent rumours.

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 03:18:17 PM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
I would hope we would trade Pierce even if it is for future picks and fringe players if we are getting rid of him. Simply waiving hime does not get us under the cap anyway so what is the point of not getting something back for him?

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 03:23:40 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Yep.

Nothing of substance here. Should probably change the thread title, too.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 03:54:21 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

I go with this. I feel like this is the second Cav writer linking Pierce to the Cavs. I think it's just their little pipe dream trying to make a wish happen that wont come true.

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 03:56:38 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

Buying out Pierce without any intention of resigning him for less money makes little sense. It doesn't free up any money to sign FAs.

The only way it makes any sense is if Danny is trying to force KGs hand to waive his no trade clause, but again that's an even worse development because none of the rumored KG trades were even remotely satisfying.

I'm starting to feel that Danny has really lost his way as a GM and is starting to panic. That is, if this report is true.

You can't buy Pierce out and then resign him.  It's against the rules.  Danny hasn't done anything yet so why are you saying he's panicking?

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 04:02:20 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Either persuade Pierce to use the ETO on his contract to resign for less money or trade him for the best offer if continuing to contend isn't the plan.

Unless all you can get for Pierce is what the Nets offered at the deadline, buying him out (when the cap space still wouldn't be enough to sign a FA) this year is not the smart route to take.

With the players that would remain on the roster and Doc's system in place, the team would still be capable of winning 30-35 games (a borderline lottery pick).

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 04:15:16 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Dosen't make any sense unless its going to be full blown tank mode.

Let Rondo take his time to heal and see if KG retires of waves his no trade clause.

Then maybe they get into the lotto,and  unless DA has a deal to get into the top 3 its a sketchy move.

If DA wants to get into the draft I'd rather trade PP and KG for good pieces and then move them at trade time or at draft night. But even then thats a long rebuild and new young players that are use to winning wont want to stay around for more than their rookie contract to deal with that.

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 04:17:27 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
No way this is true.

Pierce's contract is far too valuable to teams like Dallas, Atlanta for Ainge to dump him for nothing.

Pierce the player (irrespective of the contract) is too valuable to teams like the Clippers/Fakers for the Cs to get nothing for him.

Only reason would be to save $$ and give up on contending. That is pretty shortsighted of these owners and not totally in character with them.

The may save $$$$ in salary, penalties, etc, but will lose far more $$$ in revenue generated (or not generated) on a lottery bound, non-playoff income generating team.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 05:02:55 PM by csfansince60s »

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 04:21:26 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

The title to this thread should contain "possibly" or "rumor".

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2013, 05:23:29 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Because he prevents us from full-blown tanking.  Nothing worse than mediocrity in this league.  Bottoming out is the best way to kick-start a rebuild.

Wiggins or bust!

You have to bottom out for multiple years and you still may not get a shot at someone like a Lebron or Durrant.