Author Topic: The Spurs show we should run it back  (Read 23749 times)

Re: The Spurs show we should run it back
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2013, 06:56:25 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
The Spurs have Pop, we don't.

Pop is not afraid to yell at his stars for making dumb plays or bench them in the final minutes of the game for that matter.

Doc on the other hand tries to always please his star players, he will never yell at KG or Paul ever. Never calls them out in front of the whole team.
Poppovic, does.

This is why their rookies and young guys play so well, because they know that Pop, won't take their "crap".

agreesies but idk too many ppl on here who will want to have this convo again

« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2013, 06:57:44 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
As much as we all (me included!) like to believe the Spurs are the sturdiest of all modern NBA franchises, and Popovich is the best of modern NBA coaches, it is interesting to note that the Spurs have been bounced in the first round of the playoffs twice in the past five seasons (and they lost in the second round once).  All this with what can be considered a better and overall healthier roster than the Celtics. 

Since 2009-10, the Spurs have finished each season with a better record and a higher seed than the Celtics, but they have fared worse - when taking seeding into account - in the playoffs (when the real season starts).

This is why I agree that unless Ainge is BLOWN AWAY by trade proposals, he should run it back the next two seasons (until KG's contract ends).  The Celtics simply need to stay healthy and Doc needs to fine-tune his lineups, which is exactly what has happened for the Spurs this season.

That's completely and utterly ignoring the fact that the Spurs play in the West, which has a significant head over the East when it comes to talent.

It took us 7 games to beat the Sixers last year, while they don't even make the playoffs (per record) in the West.

While we may have gone further "on paper," the paper doesn't take into account that type of talent disparity.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2013, 06:57:59 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
The Spurs have a healthy Tim Duncan, we don't.

The Spurs have rebounding and size, we don't.

The Spurs have three point shooting wings, we don't.

While we can run it back one more time, we will never be the Spurs.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2013, 07:08:03 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

KG's Celtics were contenders for 3.5 years.  Duncan's Spurs have been contenders since 1997.

The Celtics stopped being a contender on 1/25/13.  If Rondo is fully recovered by the start of next year, this team could very well be right back to contender status. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2013, 07:43:33 PM »

Offline green7

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
i never got how the c's couldn't be like the spurs this yeat, We  have our Great Veteran Big Man (KG) Like The spurs Have Duncan.we have our great young PG (rondo) like the spurs have parker,We have our great veteran Scorer who should be coming off the bench (pierce) like the spurs have manu.
the way there team is built always surprises me

« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2013, 07:57:06 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
The only thing that the C's and Spurs have in common is being percieved old. After the Rondo, Pierce, Garnett vs Parker, Ginobli, Duncan comparison the Spurs blow us out the water. They are simply the better managed organization.

I just disagree, ManUp. Our role players match up fairly well. I think Danny made some mistakes this past off season and those, along with the Rondo and Sullinger injuries, are the major differences between the two franchises. I mean Jeff Green, Avery Bradley, and Jared Sullinger are very talented role players to add to the core of Rondo, PP, and KG.

Courtney Lee was a disappointment and really a surprise. I thought he was going to be a nice addition. But Danny did not shore up the bigs they way I was hoping and he stacked the roster with too many undersized SGs. It just ended up being an unbalanced roster.

The good news IMO is if he sticks with the core, I think he can rework the role players to better suit the system. He's done it before and he does draft well....

The Spurs have defined lineups and players with defined roles on both sides of the floor. Although from a talent perspective they may not blow us out of the water, from a fit and positional need stand point they absolutely do. Popovic would have no need for an undersized 4 who only took midrange jumpers and didn't rebound, or and undersized SG with no other guard skills. Guys like Bradley, Bass and Lee probably would struggle for minutes on the Spurs but they start here.

To be the Spurs we'd need better players. The problem is we don't have assets or cap flexibility to "rework" our role players. Even if we did we don't have the coach to make it work. I don't anyone outside of Popovic wins 60+ games with that Spurs roster.

« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2013, 09:30:01 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Spurs are there because of westbrook going down. They will get smoked in the finals.
I'm already looking forward to another year of them being overrated again.

Code: [Select]
2012-13 Playing Western Conference Finals
2011-12 Lost Western Conference Finals
2010-11 Lost Western Conference First Round
2009-10 Lost Western Conference Semifinals
2008-09 Lost Western Conference First Round
2007-08 Lost Western Conference Finals
2006-07 Won Finals
2005-06 Lost Western Conference Semifinals
2004-05 Won Finals
2003-04 Lost Western Conference Semifinals
2002-03 Won Finals
2001-02 Lost Western Conference Semifinals
2000-01 Lost Western Conference Finals
1999-00 Lost Western Conference First Round
1998-99 Won Finals
1997-98 Lost Western Conference Semifinals

That is all.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2013, 09:47:22 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Pop is not afraid to yell at his stars for making dumb plays or bench them in the final minutes of the game for that matter.

Doc on the other hand tries to always please his star players, he will never yell at KG or Paul ever. Never calls them out in front of the whole team.
Poppovic, does.

This is why their rookies and young guys play so well, because they know that Pop, won't take their "crap".

The Spurs have had Pop during the entire KG era and it hasn't really made them more successful than the Celts, or even as successful for that matter.

« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2013, 12:38:49 AM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green

Poppovic, does.

The Spurs have had Pop during the entire KG era and it hasn't really made them more successful than the Celts, or even as successful for that matter.

Last time I checked the Spurs with Pop has 4 Championships.
1999, 2003, 2005, 2007. They are 4 out of 4 in all their final appearances.

« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2013, 12:40:36 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Pop vs Spoelstra automatically gives the Spurs a legit shot at the title.

« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2013, 05:14:19 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Poppovic, does.

Last time I checked the Spurs with Pop has 4 Championships.
1999, 2003, 2005, 2007. They are 4 out of 4 in all their final appearances.

all this proves is that it's possible to cherry pick numbers.

We've had more success more recently with KG, but the Spurs have built a consistently competitive team for the entirety of Duncan's career.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2013, 05:33:34 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
My feeling is that age is a red herring for the Celtics. The real killer is our roster`s  yet to be balanced to compensate for injuries to key guys even once in the KG era. Yes the likes of Rondo, and KG are [dang] near irreplacable but when the ability of a roster to work pick and roll defences is so heavily tied to a 3rd year shootimng guard being healthy, see how things changed when Bradley came. 
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2013, 06:37:18 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
As much as we all (me included!) like to believe the Spurs are the sturdiest of all modern NBA franchises, and Popovich is the best of modern NBA coaches, it is interesting to note that the Spurs have been bounced in the first round of the playoffs twice in the past five seasons (and they lost in the second round once).  All this with what can be considered a better and overall healthier roster than the Celtics. 

Since 2009-10, the Spurs have finished each season with a better record and a higher seed than the Celtics, but they have fared worse - when taking seeding into account - in the playoffs (when the real season starts).

This is why I agree that unless Ainge is BLOWN AWAY by trade proposals, he should run it back the next two seasons (until KG's contract ends).  The Celtics simply need to stay healthy and Doc needs to fine-tune his lineups, which is exactly what has happened for the Spurs this season.

That's completely and utterly ignoring the fact that the Spurs play in the West, which has a significant head over the East when it comes to talent.

It took us 7 games to beat the Sixers last year, while they don't even make the playoffs (per record) in the West.

While we may have gone further "on paper," the paper doesn't take into account that type of talent disparity.
It took us 7 games against the 8th seed Atlanta Hawks back in 2008 and we destroyed the Lakers in the finals in 6. And the lakers were better and favorites on winning the title back then.

One thing you forget is match ups. We can beat elite teams and lost to lottery ones just like the regular season.

« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2013, 08:10:05 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The Spurs are significantly better than the Celtics are in virtually every phase of the game and every position.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2013, 09:35:36 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
The Spurs are significantly better than the Celtics are in virtually every phase of the game and every position.

yeah, I don't see it that way. KG is right there with TD. Pierce is better than Ginobili, and Rondo is capable of playing with TP. The role players are a mixed bag, but none of SAs role players has the upside of Jeff Green.

Danny needs to figure out how to reshape the role players, but I think he is capable of doing that. The #16 pick and the MLE are two key pieces. Add to those trades and I think he can get us a better big man rotation and some size on the perimeter....