Author Topic: The Spurs show we should run it back  (Read 23782 times)

Re: The Spurs show we should run it back
« Reply #135 on: May 28, 2013, 11:35:39 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I agree with above. If the Celtics want to make any noise they HAVE to get a center. KG at the 4 would be deadly again. You give him a gortat to guard the big guys and board he'll conserve so much more energy. I feel thats his biggest argument to danny (aside that we weren't healthy this year) If he still wants to play. He could tell danny listen. If we get a true 5. The 5-5-5 plan works, and Sully can get plenty of minutes and experience for the future. If we get a big man and Rondo comes back strong we would be just fine. Just depends on what Danny and Doc think is best.

« Reply #136 on: May 28, 2013, 11:42:14 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
I don't follow the Spurs, but have they had any major changes to their roster in the last 2-3 yrs? Their core is still intact and they don't have a revolving door of players each season.

I wish the C's could have gone further, but chemistry wasn't on their side and when they had a chance to get chemistry a game changing injury would occur. If KG had a reliable player to come in and spell him some minutes (consistently) without a huge drop off, then that would change a lot for the C's.

Their core has stayed the same, but they've made some really smart personnel moves.  Drafting Tiego Splitter, trading for Kawhi Leonard, signing Danny Green, Gary Neal, and Boris Diaw for nothing.

Yes, it seems like they always find the right players to compliment their core.

« Reply #137 on: May 28, 2013, 12:18:12 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
agree with above. If the Celtics want to make any noise they HAVE to get a center. KG at the 4 would be deadly again. You give him a gortat to guard the big guys and board he'll conserve so much more energy. I feel thats his biggest argument to danny (aside that we weren't healthy this year) If he still wants to play. He could tell danny listen. If we get a true 5. The 5-5-5 plan works, and Sully can get plenty of minutes and experience for the future. If we get a big man and Rondo comes back strong we would be just fine. Just depends on what Danny and Doc think is best.

Still does not solve the late game scoring droughts though.   They happened even with Perk here.   We lost leads, I don't know what will fix it.   PP can't finish games anymore like he used to do so.  KG has never been a great finisher, ditto for RR.   Is JG ready to finish games?  I do not know, I hope so.

« Reply #138 on: May 28, 2013, 12:23:14 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

I just dont see how you can say KG is right there with Duncan at this point in both their careers.

I think trying to say which is 'better' than the other becomes almost a matter of taste.

Well, OK, but according to the 'taste' of most head coaches, sportswriters and other NBA analysts, Duncan is a far better player than KG as of right now.

Like PJ said, Duncan was 1st team All-NBA and 2nd team All-Defense. He also finished 7th in MVP voting. KG was not even really on the map for those awards.

So if according to your taste KG is equal, that's obviously OK, but you have to recognize that it is a minority opinion.

Don't really care.

To me, a lot of this whole thread keeps waiving over the obvious.  It is silly to compare the teams based on KG vs Duncan, PP vs Manu, Rondo vs Parker and so on using this last season as the comparison basis, considering that outside of KG & PP, none of the principles on the C's were even 'all there' for the whole season. 

Comparing how well KG or any individual played between two teams with such radically different fortunes seems dubious at an exacting level.   Team effects DO effect how the individuals perform, even elite superstars.  And it also most definitely affects how fans / writers / coaches perceive players.  So I'm not particularly worried about whether my opinion is 'minority' or not.  I detailed the basis for my opinion and I'll stand by it.

The OP's premise, flawed or not, should only be viewed from the hopeful lens of how well the proposed lineups (on either team) might fair if healthy and performing at at least their recent nominal performance ratings. 

But the criticisms that are based purely on how crappy THIS year went for the C's don't particularly impress me.

OK, so you don't like comparisons (a) based on last year, (b) based on qualitative factors because those are affected by team records, and you want to see performance at (c) "nominal performance ratings."

I'll address all three of those by using quantitative metrics rather than the qualitative evaluations, and by extending the comparison to the last six years rather than only last year.

Take a look at PER with each player's rank among all NBA players:

KG             TD         KG rank      TD rank
2007-08         25.42           24.05          4            9
2008-09         21.32           24.51         18            5
2009-10         19.51           24.79         30            5
2010-11         20.67           21.94         24           14
2011-12         20.47           22.60         34           14
2012-13         19.25           24.45         38            6

So, by this objectively calculated number you see a clear decline for KG, while TD's performance this year is competitive with those from five years ago.

Note that your point about how the "team is doing" influencing such rankings is not really borne out here. Plenty of players have high PERs on teams with losing records - including KG, who had terrific PERs on those mediocre MIN teams. And while KG's PER has declined as the team's record has declined, it's more likely that the causality runs the other way - he's not as good, so the team is performing worse.

If you don't like PER you can pick any other relevant metric you want, old-school or advanced, and you'll see the same pattern. KG has declined by more than TD.

And, coming back to a point I've made again and again, you win rings in the NBA with top 10 players, often by having two such guys. It is very simple. By no metric do we have even one, while the Spurs have two. They are much better positioned to run it back.

You completely missed the point of my comment about 'nominal' expectations - that was meant to say how you should look at the OP's proposed _roster_.   That wasn't meant to be specific to the KG v TD comparison.

Yeah, PER is skewed too heavily by counting & utilization stats and yeah,  I've criticized it pretty heavily before so if i p--- on it right now, it has nothing to do with the KG v TD companions.  PER has always been one of my least favorite stats.  There are tons of articles already on the web pointing out its flaws so I won't bother here.  But in particular, PER comparisons break down quickly when comparing across different roles.   About the only thing I like to use PER for is to compare a player to himself over time or between two players in the same role on the same team.  Other than that, it's a pretty useless stat.

PER is only 'objectively calculated' in the sense that the math it uses is the same for all players.  But it is not an objectively derived calculation.  PER, like all such derived stats, is the result of an arbitrary weighting of inputs - and that weighting is completely subjective.

I don't think my point anywhere has been that KG has been 'better' than Duncan.   My point is that they do different things. 

Right off the bat, KG's lower shot utilization (Duncan has typically attempted about 2 or 3 extra shots per game) is going to kill KG's PER comparison with TD.   Duncan has only had a USG% under 26% once in his career.  He's been SAS' primary scoring option for most of his seasons.   KG has been secondary or third option behind Pierce and even sometimes Ray since coming to Boston.   His USG% has not been above 26% once.

You can argue that that makes Duncan better, if you want.  I would argue that their roles on their respective teams are simply different.   Duncan plays closer to the basket.  He's got a great guard to feed him and great outside shooters to stretch the defense and give him chances at put-backs.  He's clearly excelled in this role.    KG's role is different.  He plays farther from the basket and used his superior perimeter shooting and great passing to facilitate his teammates' ability to get to the basket.

It's pretty telling that, even though Duncan has taken a much larger share of his shots 'At Rim' (pretty much those 2-3 extra shots per game have been 'at rim') KG's eFG% has consistently been higher:

Year]KGTD
2007-08]54%50%
2008-09]53%50%%
2009-10]52%52%
2010-11]53%50%
2011-12]51%49%
2012-13]50%50%

Basically, even though he's taking a larger share of shots from outside, KG is a consistently more efficient shooter than Duncan.

Again, this doesn't mean that KG is 'better' than Duncan.  This points out that he has abilities that make it advantageous to USE him in different ways than you would use Duncan.

KG's at his most valuable when you have another big man who can play in the low-post.   Because offensively KG forces at least one big defender to come out of the paint to guard him - sometimes two.  And defensively it allows KG to focus on the high paint.

This is why KG & Shaq were such an unstoppable pair and why KG & Sully played so well together.  In 378 minutes together KG & Sully posted a +10.8 net rating (points per 100 possessions) - easily the highest two-some net rating on our team for pairs that got more than 300 minutes together.

For comparison, KG & Bass played 1015 minutes together and posted a Net Rtg of -0.6 points per 100 possessions.

You may legitimately suggest that it is a flaw in KG that his game is sensitive to the type of players around him.   Or you could just acknowledge the weakness in the quality of big men he's had next to him for much of the last few years.

And that who you play with has an effect.

Aside - a dream pairing would be Duncan and KG.   Wow.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #139 on: May 28, 2013, 12:38:36 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
And the Spurs made getting Kawhi Leonard possible by drafting George Hill 26th overall in 2008. Know who the Celtics drafted with insight and forethought 4 picks later?

That's right...JR Giddens.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #140 on: May 28, 2013, 12:47:10 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
And the Spurs made getting Kawhi Leonard possible by drafting George Hill 26th overall in 2008. Know who the Celtics drafted with insight and forethought 4 picks later?

That's right...JR Giddens.
Hill was supposedly one of Ainge's guys too right?

« Reply #141 on: May 28, 2013, 12:53:50 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
I want to help you all out from the statistics side...We are not better than the Spurs as a team. You all will find small differences of +/- 3% in these stats but they are still BETTER

Tony Parker vs. Rajon Rondo (and to be fair, I used last years statistics) - TP is a much better scorer, better free throw percentage. Can Rondo get there -- yes? I think he's learning it...but right now, no.

http://stats.nba.com/playerVsPlayer.html?PlayerID=2225&VsPlayerID=200765&Season=2011-12

http://stats.nba.com/playerVsPlayer.html?PlayerID=200765&VsPlayerID=2225 (this year, if you want to try to predict the future and stuff)

Manu v. Paul Pierce - our only 'clear' advantage, but in all honestly the only category paul wins convincingly is rebounds. Please be aware that Manu plays 10 minutes less than Paul on avg, so him putting up similar numbers is actually very bad for "Paul is better" argument.

http://stats.nba.com/playerVsPlayer.html?PlayerID=1938&VsPlayerID=1718
per36 -- http://stats.nba.com/playerVsPlayer.html?PlayerID=1938&VsPlayerID=1718&PerMode=Per36

Timmy vs Kevin - This one is almost a draw as well, but TD picks up more rebounds, blocks more shots, and has more points (fga) than Kevin. TD has a slight advantage. Also, I saw someone say TD has more of an advantage because he's a bit bigger and isn't afraid to knock around in the paint, while KG likes to hit that pick and pop -- He's openly said he hates being a center.

http://stats.nba.com/playerVsPlayer.html?PlayerID=708&VsPlayerID=1495

So you take a dude that's MUCH better than Rondo, a dude that's JUST as good as Paul (and get him to be a threat OFF the bench) and a guy that's a HAIR better than Kevin and you easily have a core that's better than the Celtics', and we havent even discussed the Spurs other 3 starters.

IF we run it back and you all want to use the Spurs as an example, you all need to be finding ways to convince Paul to come off the bench and convince Rondo of a reason to be consistent and become a scorer. I don't think the issue with Rondo is happening until his security blankets in PP and KG are gone. I don't think Paul is going to play #2 to Jeff. I don't think KGs stats are going to get any better.

Stop dreaming, folks.

« Reply #142 on: May 28, 2013, 01:05:05 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
I can see Paul agreeing to come off the bench and let Green take the offensive focus, but yea, I agree with all of your other points

« Reply #143 on: May 28, 2013, 01:13:45 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
I can see Paul agreeing to come off the bench and let Green take the offensive focus, but yea, I agree with all of your other points

You know, I hope he would, but we don't tend to talk about how cocky Paul is/can be. If he does, I think that would instantly make our team better, and I also think if we kept a guy like JET, he plays better his second year.

So having PP contribute 15-18ppg off the bench (but still closing games a la Manu)
Jet off the bench contributing 12-15 ppg
A guy like Lee defending. A guy like Sully rebounding...that automatically makes us better

« Reply #144 on: May 28, 2013, 01:22:17 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

I just dont see how you can say KG is right there with Duncan at this point in both their careers.

I think trying to say which is 'better' than the other becomes almost a matter of taste.

Well, OK, but according to the 'taste' of most head coaches, sportswriters and other NBA analysts, Duncan is a far better player than KG as of right now.

Like PJ said, Duncan was 1st team All-NBA and 2nd team All-Defense. He also finished 7th in MVP voting. KG was not even really on the map for those awards.

So if according to your taste KG is equal, that's obviously OK, but you have to recognize that it is a minority opinion.

Don't really care.

To me, a lot of this whole thread keeps waiving over the obvious.  It is silly to compare the teams based on KG vs Duncan, PP vs Manu, Rondo vs Parker and so on using this last season as the comparison basis, considering that outside of KG & PP, none of the principles on the C's were even 'all there' for the whole season. 

Comparing how well KG or any individual played between two teams with such radically different fortunes seems dubious at an exacting level.   Team effects DO effect how the individuals perform, even elite superstars.  And it also most definitely affects how fans / writers / coaches perceive players.  So I'm not particularly worried about whether my opinion is 'minority' or not.  I detailed the basis for my opinion and I'll stand by it.

The OP's premise, flawed or not, should only be viewed from the hopeful lens of how well the proposed lineups (on either team) might fair if healthy and performing at at least their recent nominal performance ratings. 

But the criticisms that are based purely on how crappy THIS year went for the C's don't particularly impress me.

OK, so you don't like comparisons (a) based on last year, (b) based on qualitative factors because those are affected by team records, and you want to see performance at (c) "nominal performance ratings."

I'll address all three of those by using quantitative metrics rather than the qualitative evaluations, and by extending the comparison to the last six years rather than only last year.

Take a look at PER with each player's rank among all NBA players:

KG             TD         KG rank      TD rank
2007-08         25.42           24.05          4            9
2008-09         21.32           24.51         18            5
2009-10         19.51           24.79         30            5
2010-11         20.67           21.94         24           14
2011-12         20.47           22.60         34           14
2012-13         19.25           24.45         38            6

So, by this objectively calculated number you see a clear decline for KG, while TD's performance this year is competitive with those from five years ago.

Note that your point about how the "team is doing" influencing such rankings is not really borne out here. Plenty of players have high PERs on teams with losing records - including KG, who had terrific PERs on those mediocre MIN teams. And while KG's PER has declined as the team's record has declined, it's more likely that the causality runs the other way - he's not as good, so the team is performing worse.

If you don't like PER you can pick any other relevant metric you want, old-school or advanced, and you'll see the same pattern. KG has declined by more than TD.

And, coming back to a point I've made again and again, you win rings in the NBA with top 10 players, often by having two such guys. It is very simple. By no metric do we have even one, while the Spurs have two. They are much better positioned to run it back.

You completely missed the point of my comment about 'nominal' expectations - that was meant to say how you should look at the OP's proposed _roster_.   That wasn't meant to be specific to the KG v TD comparison.

Yeah, PER is skewed too heavily by counting & utilization stats and yeah,  I've criticized it pretty heavily before so if i p--- on it right now, it has nothing to do with the KG v TD companions.  PER has always been one of my least favorite stats.  There are tons of articles already on the web pointing out its flaws so I won't bother here.  But in particular, PER comparisons break down quickly when comparing across different roles.   About the only thing I like to use PER for is to compare a player to himself over time or between two players in the same role on the same team.  Other than that, it's a pretty useless stat.

PER is only 'objectively calculated' in the sense that the math it uses is the same for all players.  But it is not an objectively derived calculation.  PER, like all such derived stats, is the result of an arbitrary weighting of inputs - and that weighting is completely subjective.

I don't think my point anywhere has been that KG has been 'better' than Duncan.   My point is that they do different things. 

Right off the bat, KG's lower shot utilization (Duncan has typically attempted about 2 or 3 extra shots per game) is going to kill KG's PER comparison with TD.   Duncan has only had a USG% under 26% once in his career.  He's been SAS' primary scoring option for most of his seasons.   KG has been secondary or third option behind Pierce and even sometimes Ray since coming to Boston.   His USG% has not been above 26% once.

You can argue that that makes Duncan better, if you want.  I would argue that their roles on their respective teams are simply different.   Duncan plays closer to the basket.  He's got a great guard to feed him and great outside shooters to stretch the defense and give him chances at put-backs.  He's clearly excelled in this role.    KG's role is different.  He plays farther from the basket and used his superior perimeter shooting and great passing to facilitate his teammates' ability to get to the basket.

It's pretty telling that, even though Duncan has taken a much larger share of his shots 'At Rim' (pretty much those 2-3 extra shots per game have been 'at rim') KG's eFG% has consistently been higher:

Year]KGTD
2007-08]54%50%
2008-09]53%50%%
2009-10]52%52%
2010-11]53%50%
2011-12]51%49%
2012-13]50%50%

Basically, even though he's taking a larger share of shots from outside, KG is a consistently more efficient shooter than Duncan.

Again, this doesn't mean that KG is 'better' than Duncan.  This points out that he has abilities that make it advantageous to USE him in different ways than you would use Duncan.

KG's at his most valuable when you have another big man who can play in the low-post.   Because offensively KG forces at least one big defender to come out of the paint to guard him - sometimes two.  And defensively it allows KG to focus on the high paint.

This is why KG & Shaq were such an unstoppable pair and why KG & Sully played so well together.  In 378 minutes together KG & Sully posted a +10.8 net rating (points per 100 possessions) - easily the highest two-some net rating on our team for pairs that got more than 300 minutes together.

For comparison, KG & Bass played 1015 minutes together and posted a Net Rtg of -0.6 points per 100 possessions.

You may legitimately suggest that it is a flaw in KG that his game is sensitive to the type of players around him.   Or you could just acknowledge the weakness in the quality of big men he's had next to him for much of the last few years.

And that who you play with has an effect.

Aside - a dream pairing would be Duncan and KG.   Wow.

OK,

1. I suggested you can use other metrics than PER. They all show consistent play for TD and a decline for KG. Your eFG% numbers show this too. Like I said, pick whatever you want.

2. You do acknowledge that PER can be used to compare "a player to himself over time." That's what I was doing. KG has declined, TD has not.

3. If you're suggesting that KG's performance is dependent on having a solid low-post big man on the court with him, I don't understand. For one, your argument about KG being paired with Bass vs. Sully is incomplete. KG with Bass in 2012 was phenomenal (nearly the same at +9.1). KG paired with Bass in 2013 was much less so as you say. Wouldn't we conclude from that that KG and/or Bass declined, or something else changed, rather than something specific about how KG is better with a low post guy?

4. And, your point about KG being better at PF is also incomplete. KG's individual numbers in the second half of 2012 - after he got moved to C and paired with Bass - were much better, as was the team's overall performance and in opposition to your theory. Isn't the most plausible explanation that KG played really well in the second half of 2012, but was not as good in 2013? Rather than something about who he was paired with?

The simplest explanation for all of these facts is that KG has consistently declined over the last several years. Nearly any qualitative evaluation, any quantitative evaluation you want to pick will tell you the same thing. He can still be great in spurts, but those are getting briefer and briefer. The facts are pretty robust to who he's played with, at least given that you will have noise once you start taking smaller and smaller slices of the data.

« Reply #145 on: May 28, 2013, 01:25:53 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Duncan's play absolutely has declined, largely in his ability to play long minutes and his defense. KG has also declined though his decline has come more on the offensive/rebounding side of things.

Given how up and down both big men are year to year in those areas I think its largely health related.

This year Duncan had a remarkable defensive year, extremely impressive how he's held up defensively. The prior 3 years he was slow footed liability much of the year on D. He needed more help, Leonard/Splitter now provide that along with his better health from what I can see.

« Reply #146 on: May 28, 2013, 01:28:12 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
Duncan's play absolutely has declined, largely in his ability to play long minutes and his defense. KG has also declined though his decline has come more on the offensive/rebounding side of things.

Given how up and down both big men are year to year in those areas I think its largely health related.

This year Duncan had a remarkable defensive year, extremely impressive how he's held up defensively. The prior 3 years he was slow footed liability much of the year on D. He needed more help, Leonard/Splitter now provide that along with his better health from what I can see.

I won't disagree that Duncan has declined slightly, just to be clear. But, even with his decline he is still a top-10 player in the NBA this year, and that's what you need to be a title contender.

« Reply #147 on: May 28, 2013, 01:32:31 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I won't disagree that Duncan has declined, just to be clear. But, even with his decline he is still a top-10 player in the NBA this year, and that's what you need to be a title contender.
I don't see him as being a top 10 player. Top 10 big man certainly, but not as an overall player.

No longer a total gamechanger defensively or offensively, instead he brings a well rounded and disciplined game.

« Reply #148 on: May 28, 2013, 01:34:05 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1672
It's easy to forget just how good Duncan is when you don't get an opportunity to watch him play very often.  This Memphis/SA series was a treat in that regard.

In Game 4 especially, Tony Parker got the press but Duncan was creating scoring opportunities for him all night.  Parker will run off of a screen to knock Tony Allen or Mike Conley off the ball.  Marc Gasol is supposed to rotate to help on Parker while they recover, but Duncan sets these subtle little picks that block Gasol from contesting the shot. 

Brilliant offensive execution and really fun to watch once I started looking for it.  Duncan does so much for that team that never shows in the stat sheet.

« Reply #149 on: May 28, 2013, 01:47:41 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo

I won't disagree that Duncan has declined, just to be clear. But, even with his decline he is still a top-10 player in the NBA this year, and that's what you need to be a title contender.
I don't see him as being a top 10 player. Top 10 big man certainly, but not as an overall player.

No longer a total gamechanger defensively or offensively, instead he brings a well rounded and disciplined game.

First-team All-NBA. Second-team All-Defense. 7th in MVP voting. 6th in PER.

Those are a lot of top-10-ish numbers. What's your full list of players who've been better this year, on offense and defense overall?