Author Topic: Mentoring Big Men (Karl Malone and Jazz)  (Read 1344 times)

Mentoring Big Men (Karl Malone and Jazz)
« on: May 30, 2013, 03:13:47 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I read on NBA.com today that the Jazz is bringing Karl Malone back to mentor Kanter and Favors.  The reason I am putting this in the Celtics Talk Forum is because I wish the Celtics would bring back Chief, Walton, or maybe Scal to mentor the big men.  I think any of them could impart the toughness and drive necessary to win a title to our young guys.  Scal might not have been the most talented big man, but he was tough and gave 100% to filling the role called for by the coach.  It has been said that Chief would like a head coaching job...this might be a good place to start.  Walton was the most talented...not sure about the coaching thing though.  What think you?
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

Re: Mentoring Big Men (Karl Malone and Jazz)
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 03:22:54 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Don't bring back Walton, oh God no LOL.

He can't stay healthy! ;D ;)

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 03:26:06 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think if KG is around next year he will be a great mentor for Melo, Sully and whatever big we draft this year.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 03:26:24 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I want Parish. I have wanted him here since Clifford Ray left.

His footwork and positioning on and off the ball were exemplary. So fundamentally sound especially on defense and in terms of rebounding. I think he'd be a great big man coach.

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 03:31:17 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I think just because somebody was good at playing a position, doesn't mean they're good at teaching it.  So I wouldn't automatically look at Parish or Walton, but with that being said I think Garnett would make an awesome big man coach!

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 03:34:19 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

His footwork and positioning on and off the ball were exemplary. So fundamentally sound especially on defense and in terms of rebounding. I think he'd be a great big man coach.

I tend to think if there's a guy like that who hasn't gotten into coaching by now, and from the accounts I've read seems to have had trouble maintaining connections with NBA folks from when he was playing, there might be a reason for that.

Just because a guy was a great player doesn't mean he'll be a great mentor or coach.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 03:35:27 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

What's the deal with Parish? He feels slighted by bird and McHale basically begging for a job. Just odd in so many ways

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 04:19:24 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I love Garnett and he is a wonderful mentor.  But I was thinking more natural center, close to the basket type...maybe you don't think that is necessary...

Do you think Kevin Garnett would want to return as a big man coach when his playing days are done?  Kevin McHale would be great, too...but he is a head coach already...

That is why I went with Chief, Walton and Scal (who I think has a great basketball mind).
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 04:30:47 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

What's the deal with Parish? He feels slighted by bird and McHale basically begging for a job. Just odd in so many ways

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=62095.0
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 04:35:27 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think just because somebody was good at playing a position, doesn't mean they're good at teaching it.  So I wouldn't automatically look at Parish or Walton, but with that being said I think Garnett would make an awesome big man coach!

I was going to say the same thing.  Teaching and doing are very different skillsets.  Also with Walton, I think if he had any interest in coaching, he would be doing it already.  I just don't think it's his thing. 

Scal is an interesting option.  I have no idea whether he would be a "big man" coach or not, but I do think he has a future in coaching if he wants to.  I believe he has also been working with a number of prospects to get them ready for the draft.  I think Steven Adams is one of them.

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 04:59:28 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We had two of the best in Cliff Lee and the Chief.