Author Topic: Gonna start working out.  (Read 14626 times)

Gonna start working out.
« on: May 26, 2013, 12:53:38 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Alright guys i am looking for a little help. I am a 22 year old male and i am 5'10 153. I am gonna start working out at the gym with my brother and I wanna add on 10-12 lbs of muscle. I know one thing i have to do is up my calorie intake which i know, but i was wondering if anyone else had any tips to give me. Like examples of foods to eat, Shakes to drink, and so on. So looking forward to reading and thanks for any help!

Re: Gonna start working out.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 03:59:09 AM »

Offline PaulPierce34G

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 110
  • Soul Glo
In terms of supplements, I would suggest taking a multi-vitamin daily (example: Centrum).  Outside of that, fish oil, creatine and a branched chain amino acid supplement (this particular supplement is even optional) can help...EAS protein powder is really good...I take the chocolate flavored one, but they do offer a vanilla flavor as well.  Also, look into "casein protein"...this is typically found in dairy, but studies have shown taking this as your last meal/snack before bed can really help with building mass...  You don't need much more than that.  There's lots of other supplements out there, but those items are basically all you kind of really need if you are just starting out.  It really just comes down to eating.  At first, it will suck.  If you are not used to eating a lot, just do the best you can.  Your digestive system will eventually adapt.  Just eat every 3-4 hours and make sure you get a good night's rest as often as you can.  This is when the body regenerates the most.  If you drink alcohol, try to cut that out at best you can.  Empty calories can really hurt progress if consumed enough.  Obviously a beer or mixed drink here and there won't hurt, just like having McDonalds or fast food once in a blue moon won't hurt, but if you are into getting drunk on a regular basis, you will need to curb that. 

Food-wise, just eat 'clean' and often..at least 5 times per day, but shoot for 6.

The link below will provide you with a sample meal plan for 'clean bulking'...There are more meal plans out there, just use Google to find them.  Bodybuilding.com is a great source for information, too!  Utilize it! 

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/nutrition/gain-mass/build-muscle-stay-lean-meal-plan?page=3

This link provides 20 foods that are beneficial for building muscle.

http://stronglifts.com/20-super-foods-you-need-to-build-muscle-lose-fat/

Basically, eating healthy doesn't have to be a chore.  Oats, turkey sandwiches on wheat bread, eggs, red meat, poultry...there's lots of healthy choices that taste good.  Prepare meals in advance, too.  Eating often means you will be spending more time in the kitchen.  Prepping meals in advance can save lots of time. 

Lastly, with increasing protein/food intake, just be prepared to go to the bathroom a bit more than usual.  This is normal obviously, but just giving you the heads up. 

Best of luck with this. 

PS:  Protein intake is going to be the biggest thing, but  make sure you get your carbs, too!  In regards to protein, the general rule of thumb is that you want to consume 1.5 grams of protein for every pound you weigh...so, for example, you currently weigh 153 lbs...153 x 1.5 = 229.5 grams of protein you will need to consume daily if you want to bulk up.  Your goal of 10-12 lbs is very doable.  Just stick with the plan, work hard consistently...challenge yourself working out...Do a weight that is tough, but not impossible..., and eat healthy as often and best you can.  You  may hit a 'wall' at some point, but just keep going and you will eventually break through it. 

« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 04:33:29 AM by PaulPierce34G »

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 08:24:31 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Here's my experience-

If you're a skinny guy, using creatine is no big deal. If you do heavy weights every day, which you definitely can at your age, you'll get bigger noticeably faster. If you do use creatine, you will use it for a few weeks, then go off for a few, and then back on, and so forth. Make sure you don't overeat when you are off, because that's an easy way to get fat.

Be sure to eat protein- a shake, tuna fish, a protein bar, within 30 minutes after workouts.

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 08:25:51 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Read this:

http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-3rd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0982522738

Nothing will help you to gain strength and muscle mass faster than applying the knowledge in that book.

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 08:29:11 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
you can get those 10-15 lbs in 2 months basically doing pushups alone...
no need for supplements
my recommendation is callisthenisc, look for bar brothers on youtube
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 08:48:58 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Read this:

http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-3rd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0982522738

Nothing will help you to gain strength and muscle mass faster than applying the knowledge in that book.

Excellent suggestion. TP.

So many people go to Planet Fitness or whatever gym and spin their wheels using numerous cable machines or focus too much on arm curls. Nothing will get you bigger than compound barbell lifts. A compound lift is simply an excercise that requires more than one muscle. For example, Tricep extension simply uses the tricep. Bench press being a compound excercise, uses the tricep, chest, front shoulders, get the idea? So hop on a proven plan (there's tons out there with a quick Google search). Reason I say this is because you will see results much faster by going to the gym and knowing exactly what you're doing as opposed to wandering around and doing whatever machine you feel like (I use to do this all the time when I started out lol).

And yes you are 100% correct, you need to eat more. You're maintenance calories are right around 2000 calories for somebody of your size so simply eat more than this every day and you will grow. Maintenance calories simply means the amount of calories you need to stay at exactly the same size. Just make sure you're not eating pizza and nachos to get those calories or the size you gain, will not be the kind of size you want lol. Doesn't mean you can't eat these foods however.

So eat big and use compound exercises and you will grow. It may take you awhile to find a groove but once you do, I bet you'll fall in love. Nothing will feel better than going to the gym after a stressful day and smashing on some weights.

P.S. I personally wouldn't spend a second thinking about any supplements now until you know how to eat properly (not implying you don't but doing it consistently and seeing results is another ball game). Protein powder being the only exception.

Promised myself I'd keep it short but I knew that wasn't going to happen! Fitness is a true passion of mine right up there with the Celtics so if you have any questions please shoot me a PM! I love helping people
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 02:04:54 PM »

Offline PaulPierce34G

• Al Horford
  • Soul Glo
Lots of good posts.  I think the general consensus is just to eat healthy, don't go overboard with the supplements, but taking a good protein powder at the bare minimum can certainly help, lift heavy and use a lot of free weights.

Can't say I disagree with any of those statements.  One thing you've got to remember is that fitness regimens/plans/courses of action are very subjective/opinionated.  What works for one person,  may not work as well for another.  The first year of working out is really kind of your trial and error period.  Try different things and when you find something that works for you, roll with it and fine tune it whenever need be.

Once you get into a rhythm working out, you'll absolutely love going and won't view it as being a labor!

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 12:01:48 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
Thanks so much everyone! Yeah i have worked out in the past mostly lazy though. Played basketball and got away with, and got away with playing at a competitive level because of my knowledge of the game. Now i want to be able to really put on a little bit of mass and look better. I appreciate everything looking to join a gym and be expecting some PM's from me! Again thanks so much.

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 12:16:21 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Thanks so much everyone! Yeah i have worked out in the past mostly lazy though. Played basketball and got away with, and got away with playing at a competitive level because of my knowledge of the game. Now i want to be able to really put on a little bit of mass and look better. I appreciate everything looking to join a gym and be expecting some PM's from me! Again thanks so much.
My favorite protein shake brand is gold standard, imo the best tasting protein.

Also NO explode is probably the best product for bulking up and their are similar products that don't have too much caffeine if you are sensitive to that. The creatine makes you look bigger, the No2 helps you heal quicker and the caffeine gets you really amped when you lift.

For lifting your routine should include, squats, bench press, dead lift and hang cleans.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 02:08:12 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Alright guys i am looking for a little help. I am a 22 year old male and i am 5'10 153. I am gonna start working out at the gym with my brother and I wanna add on 10-12 lbs of muscle. I know one thing i have to do is up my calorie intake which i know, but i was wondering if anyone else had any tips to give me. Like examples of foods to eat, Shakes to drink, and so on. So looking forward to reading and thanks for any help!

I stopped using supplements for over a year now. My calorie intake is exactly what you said, it shot up significantly. Don't worry about the weights you use, because if you are consistent, you will increase the weights you lift. I say, always shoot for 1 rep maxes going in a pyramid system (going up in weights but your reps goes down). Something I like to do is a 20 (very light weight), to 12 (warm up), 8 (warm up x2), then up to my workout sets of 8 reps, 6 or 4 reps (depending on the weight), then 1 rep maxes.

Also, focus on working on complementary muscle groups or workouts that work out different muscles at the same time. Take benching for example, besides your chest, your triceps, biceps and even shoulders are going to work. Squatting works out your quads, hamstrings, gluts and back. Always shoot for workouts that target multiple muscle. I would also say, don't worry about food because if your workouts are intense enough, you will start eating a lot.

Another thing is, don't be afraid to try different things or other people's workouts. There is not "right" way to working out. I primarily doing heavy lifting, but recently been doing crossfits with some buddies of mine and it kicked my butt.

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 03:25:31 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Get the workout down before worrying about gaining weight.  A lot of guys wind up being a lot better at "bulking" than lifting.  Develop a good routine and stick to it, with a couple of slow-rep, low-weight form days in there to make sure your technique is good.  Try to boost your intake of low-fat protein, but don't worry about gaining for at least a month while you get your routine down.

If and when you do bulk, make sure not to skip leg days, since they'll boost growth everywhere else too.  And have a good ab/core routine or you'll risk developing the dreaded abgut.

Most supplements are not worth the money - look around at what others are using before setting up a regimen.  You should be drinking lots of protein shakes and eating lots of light protein, though.  Aside from protein almost everything is optional, though 1-2 quality supplements can help move things along.

Once you get into a good workout setup, make sure to keep changing things up - you should be switching some exercises and/or sets every 6 weeks or so.   Good luck!

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 04:19:16 AM »

Offline PaulPierce34G

• Al Horford
  • Soul Glo
Look into various workout programs.

I recently did a program by Dorian Yates, a well known body builder.  Most sets are 8-10 reps, but on heavy weights.  The program covers all the body parts  I thought it worked pretty well...Again, working out is opinionated. 

Nutrition is what's most important.

There's a saying that getting fit is 70% nutrition and 30% working out.  Just eat healthy, #1.  Eating healthy basically 'molds' you.  Google search for various programs.  There's lots out there. 

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dorian-yates-blood-guts-6-week-trainer.htm

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 06:52:13 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Squats and dead lifts will give you most mass in the least time as long as you know the techniques.

Do you really think posting Dorrian Yates routine is good for a guy just getting his feet wet?  I do not.   

Dorrian Yates was a roid head.

http://www.allthingsgym.com/dorian-yates-on-his-steroid-use/

« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 07:28:09 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 11:22:57 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
Well started today at Golds with my brother. My brother is in a whole other boat. He is 6'5 285 now after his knee surgery set him back about 50lbs he is trying to lose weight. I work out with him because he has been in the gym much more than me and knows good routines and can point out what i am doing wrong. I was wondering if anyone could give me some specific details on eating. I know protein and such but maybe something that has helped you. Thanks again guys!

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 12:08:59 AM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
I got you on this, fitness is a big part of my life and im 22 as well. 5'8, 177lbs (muscle not fat) and just benched 290 today, new pr.

Here are the two main things you need to do to build muscle...

High protein intake. You should be taking in as many grams of protein as you weigh. So at 150lbs, intake at least 150g of protein a day.

After working out, I like to take a scoop of whey with milk as a supplement. Probably get around 32-35g protein with that alone. It's important to eat/drink something with a high protein content directly after lifting for protein synthesis.

Try to eat well overall as well. Lots of lean meats, fruits, veggies, dairy, etc. Try to cut down on sugar or snack foods, etc (empty calories, will fill you up without providing you with nutrients to build up muscle and will make you feel worse in general anyway).

Muscle confusion.

Switch up your workouts every few weeks to confuse your muscles into continual growth. Muscles get used to the same workouts after awhile (for example, if you bench 2+ months straight you'll probably plateau, i.e wont make gains). So instead of just bench, maybe do db press every few weeks. Switch it up. That's just one example, just do some research.

Finally, use the correct weights. There's nothing worse than an over-inflated ego (you see it all the time in the gym) and doing too much weight on workouts which leads to bad form/injury and minimal gain. Do a comfortable to challenging weight for sets that will allow you to do 6-10 slow steady reps per set. You will see gains this way.

Hope this helps!