Author Topic: Gonna start working out.  (Read 14688 times)

Re: Gonna start working out.
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2013, 10:02:47 AM »

Offline Celtics Insider

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 28

For instance, does IF do him any good if during his feeding window he's eating a big bowl of Coco Puffs?
While it's not ideal, he'd still get the positive effects of IF.
http://celticsinsider.freehostingcloud.com/
Celtics Insider - Your #1 Source For Anything And Everything Boston Celtics And NBA!

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2013, 11:51:59 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I've been lifting a few years and never deadlifted, guess I've been screwing up.

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2013, 12:34:00 PM »

Offline Celtics Insider

• Jrue Holiday
I've been lifting a few years and never deadlifted, guess I've been screwing up.
Yup.
Celtics Insider - Your #1 Source For Anything And Everything Boston Celtics And NBA!

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2013, 12:49:27 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Yup.

What should I group it with my leg work outs or back?

I wouldn't mind you explaining the benefits either.

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2013, 01:02:17 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
Yup.

Deadlift instead of other lower back excerises and do on Back day.

The primary benefits of deadlifting are increased strength and muscle mass. Because deadlift is a compound movement it utilizes nearly every major muscle of your body as well as the small stabilizer muscles in your body. Muscles trained by the deadlift:

Core (abs and obliques)
Hamstrings
Glutes
Forearms
Spinal Erectors
Lower Back
Middle and Upper Traps
Calves
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2013, 01:05:37 PM »

Offline Celtics Insider

• Jrue Holiday
Yup.

Some say legs, most say back. I say back. Doing heavy squats and deadlifts on the same day will make your CNS explode.

The benefits are that you'll have strong back muscles, you'll have stronger posterior chain muscles, you'll develop amazing grip strength, your posture will improve, you'll gain a bunch of mass (if you program right and that is your goal), and you'll gain some manhood.

One does not simply question the deadlift. Just do it right and do it heavy  8)

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2013, 01:16:55 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
Alright guys i am looking for a little help. I am a 22 year old male and i am 5'10 153. I am gonna start working out at the gym with my brother and I wanna add on 10-12 lbs of muscle. I know one thing i have to do is up my calorie intake which i know, but i was wondering if anyone else had any tips to give me. Like examples of foods to eat, Shakes to drink, and so on. So looking forward to reading and thanks for any help!

OP, you need to eat at least 2040 calories a day to maintain your weight and that's if you do absolutely no exercise*. So if you are looking to put on muscle, you need to up that intake to around 2800-3000 clean calories and rep between the 4 to 6 range. In other words, go HEAVY. Take advantage of your spotter and push yourself.

Get Syntha6 protein because it is well balanced from a protein, carb, fat ratio standpoint (more calories) and it tastes delicious. Grilled Chicken, Tuna, Steak (once a week), ground Turkey for protein. Multi grain, wheat bread for carbs, olive oil, Smart Balance products for fats.

Eat a 50% Protein, 30% Carb, 20% fat diet with AT LEAST 170 grams of protein A DAY.

* http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

Good luck
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2013, 04:06:48 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Alright guys giving a little update. I just weighed myself and i'm at 157. Very happy. I am seeing the difference in my traps and shoulders the most. That has been a main focus of mine. I own p90x but gonna start doing some ab ripper x after my workouts to start shredding the stomach. So thanks so much for everyone's input but i am getting there guys!

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2013, 04:14:19 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Yup.

Some say legs, most say back. I say back. Doing heavy squats and deadlifts on the same day will make your CNS explode.

The benefits are that you'll have strong back muscles, you'll have stronger posterior chain muscles, you'll develop amazing grip strength, your posture will improve, you'll gain a bunch of mass (if you program right and that is your goal), and you'll gain some manhood.

One does not simply question the deadlift. Just do it right and do it heavy  8)

^ this

I do Squats and Deadlifts on separate days...Squats for legs (obviously) and sometimes I add in RDLs (Romanian Deadlifts). I go very light for this type of deadlift because I'm trying to work on my hamstrings.

Deadlifts on back days

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2013, 04:24:20 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Alright guys giving a little update. I just weighed myself and i'm at 157. Very happy. I am seeing the difference in my traps and shoulders the most. That has been a main focus of mine. I own p90x but gonna start doing some ab ripper x after my workouts to start shredding the stomach. So thanks so much for everyone's input but i am getting there guys!

Awesome man keep it up!

A little note on abs, old saying "abs are made in the kitchen" is for the most part, very true.

Basically, the visibility of your core muscles including, abdominal muscles (front region), obliques (lower sides), and serratus (upper side and often confused with the ribcage on very lean people) is largely dependent on your bodyfat levels.

You can have the biggest core muscles but if you have a high bodyfat level than the visibility of these muscles can be greatly compromised. For example, take a look at the powerlifters you often see on "Strongest Man" competitions. I guarantee they have insanely strong core muscles but they are not very visible due to high bodyfat levels.

My advice, if you are simply trying to get bigger and stronger, I wouldn't worry much about a "6 pack". Just eat big plates of food and pick up heavy weights. Worry about abs later down the road.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2013, 04:25:01 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Squat, DL and Bench as heavy as you can.

Bill Starr 5x5 is a great starter workout plan.
http://stronglifts.com/madcow/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

Also worth reading Ripptoes Starting Strength http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Rippetoe

I made my greatest gains ever while doing the 5x5. As for supplements I just took whey protein at night and after workouts, fish oil at night, creatine mono hydrate and a multi vitamin. Just make sure you drink a ton of water on the creatine.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2013, 04:28:16 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421

NO real point in trying to "shred" your stomach. If you are trying to bulk up you better not worry about visible abs. Unless you are one of the few with freak genetics you are not going to gain muscle and keep a low enough body fat to have visible abs.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2013, 04:39:37 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435

NO real point in trying to "shred" your stomach. If you are trying to bulk up you better not worry about visible abs. Unless you are one of the few with freak genetics you are not going to gain muscle and keep a low enough body fat to have visible abs.

Alright sounds good. I'll just keep lifting then. I am happy with the progress but need more. Sucks cause i was going with my big brother who really was pushing me but recently broke his ankle. But i am getting in there and working hard. Thanks for the advice guys!

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2013, 04:42:56 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

Alright sounds good. I'll just keep lifting then. I am happy with the progress but need more. Sucks cause i was going with my big brother who really was pushing me but recently broke his ankle. But i am getting in there and working hard. Thanks for the advice guys!

Depending how sensititive you are to caffeine, you could try a pre-workout drink. I know on days I'm really dragging they help give me a good kick in the pants.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2013, 04:59:11 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Depending how sensititive you are to caffeine, you could try a pre-workout drink. I know on days I'm really dragging they help give me a good kick in the pants.
Extra caffeine before weightlifting? Are you looking to get yourself a heart attack at 35?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."