Author Topic: Gonna start working out.  (Read 14689 times)

Re: Gonna start working out.
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2013, 12:30:03 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Another important concept is progressive overload. Start with weights where you can do at least 6 reps comfortably (preferably 8). When you can do 12, you're ready to up the weight by 5-10% or so.

Make sure you work opposing muscle groups equal reps. That is, if you do chest press, offset this with bent-over rows; squats with deadlifts, biceps curls with triceps extensions, etc.

Work biggest muscle groups first and foremost: legs, chest, shoulders, back. Have in mind that compound exercises will work out secondary muscles, too, so for example you probably don't need to worry about arms a lot from the get go, since they get enough work from chest and back exercises.

Several things that are my personal preference, and probably not everyone will agree:

Work more free weights, less machines -- you get more freedom of motion with these.

I don't do squats, deadlifts, or anything that includes bars over the head. Yes, I know squats are supposedly the most efficient lower body exercise, but I value the health of my back and knees too much for this :P These could easily be replaced with less taxing exercises (leg press, pull-ups, etc.)

Finally, understand that even with a bad workout regimen you'll get eventually get gains -- the only difference is how quick you'll get them.  And when you're starting from scratch, gains are usually easier.

Also, when I was getting back into weights a couple of years ago, I found this website very useful in terms of tips for setting up a routine:

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-ultimate-weight-training-workout-routine/
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 05:43:54 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Alright guys well looks like i have myself a little bit of a routine. Its gone like this so far this week.

Monday- Shoulders
Tuesday- Chest
Wednesday- Rest
Thursday-Arms
Friday- Legs

I am feeling the chest and shoulder workout today. Can't wait to start seeing the results. My goal is to be around 165-168lbs. by September. I am at 155 right now. This time next year i want to be at 175lbs. So hopefully i can get there.

Also quick question. I have bad ankles from playing ball. Sprained them a few times in high school and did it again about 3 weeks ago pretty good. Will working out the legs strengthen my ankles? Or is that a whole other work out in its own.

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2013, 05:58:05 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Alright guys well looks like i have myself a little bit of a routine. Its gone like this so far this week.

Monday- Shoulders
Tuesday- Chest
Wednesday- Rest
Thursday-Arms
Friday- Legs

I am feeling the chest and shoulder workout today. Can't wait to start seeing the results. My goal is to be around 165-168lbs. by September. I am at 155 right now. This time next year i want to be at 175lbs. So hopefully i can get there.

Also quick question. I have bad ankles from playing ball. Sprained them a few times in high school and did it again about 3 weeks ago pretty good. Will working out the legs strengthen my ankles? Or is that a whole other work out in its own.

I wouldn't do chest the day after shoulders. Your front delts are likely taxed after working out shoulders which would inhibit your pressing ability when hitting chest.

BTW...you forgot back.

If you're hellbent on only working out 4 days with 3 days off then I would suggest the following:

Mon-chest
Tue-back/tri's
Wed-off
Thu-legs
Fri-shoulders/bi's
Sat-off
Sun-off

Bi's and Tri's are smaller muscles that receive secondary work from working out larger muscles, so since you only are training 4 days a week, you simply have no available days to give them their own workout.

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 06:05:12 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Squats and dead lifts will give you most mass in the least time as long as you know the techniques.

Do you really think posting Dorrian Yates routine is good for a guy just getting his feet wet?  I do not.   

Dorrian Yates was a roid head.

http://www.allthingsgym.com/dorian-yates-on-his-steroid-use/

Wait, what? Forget about what Yates used or not, that isn't the point. The point of his training principles was HIT, which was popularized by Mike Mentzer. Now whether HIT or a more frequent volume of training is better is another debate entirely. However, let's not act as though working out 4 days a week with a maximum of 1 hr a day/with one true working set approach is something completely irrational.

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2013, 06:09:17 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

I don't do squats, deadlifts, or anything that includes bars over the head. Yes, I know squats are supposedly the most efficient lower body exercise, but I value the health of my back and knees too much for this :P These could easily be replaced with less taxing exercises (leg press, pull-ups, etc.)

Others can give their opinions too, but IMO properly performed squats and DLs will *strengthen* your back and legs, as well as your core, and prevent injury risk far more than they create it. And, nothing will increase strength faster than those lifts along with a couple others like press, augmented maybe with some pullups and dips.

But, form is everything and worth getting a qualified trainer to learn, for the first couple of months.

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2013, 06:11:52 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Alright guys i am looking for a little help. I am a 22 year old male and i am 5'10 153. I am gonna start working out at the gym with my brother and I wanna add on 10-12 lbs of muscle. I know one thing i have to do is up my calorie intake which i know, but i was wondering if anyone else had any tips to give me. Like examples of foods to eat, Shakes to drink, and so on. So looking forward to reading and thanks for any help!

More important than your caloric intake is your macros. You need to figure out what your maintenance level is and then slowly, as to not gain excess body fat, raise it as you see fit. Everyones metabolism is different (faster/slower), so you have to monitor your macros in order to see what your maintenance is.

For example, you take the following per day:

200g protein
250g carbs
60g fat

If it's too low (you're staying stagnant) then you adjust accordingly. Raising, again as an example, carbs to 275g.

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2013, 06:35:21 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
Yes my brother mentioned we need to do back as well.  Will be doing that as well.

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2013, 07:55:46 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Yes my brother mentioned we need to do back as well.  Will be doing that as well.

Keep at it man! How's it going?
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2013, 08:05:31 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
Its going well. Been trying to go at the least 3 times a week. Getting there though. Hopefully I'll post some before and after pics once I reach my goal.

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2013, 08:13:00 AM »

Offline Celtics Insider

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 28
Whatever split/routine you decide to use, I'd make sure it had all of the following:

1. Vertical Pushing (overhead press)
2. Vertical Pulling (pullups)
3. Horizontal Pushing (bench)
4. Horizontal Pulling (rows)
5. Knee Hinge (squat)
6. Hip hinge (DEADLIFT, DEADLIFT, DEADLIFT!)
7. Single-Leg Romanian Deadlifts

I am studying to be a S&C coach and have been lifting since my freshman year in HS (now a junior in college). Honestly, new lifters can usually make great gains on almost any routine, but, if you do all of the above exercises, you will most likely maximize your gains. Diet is obviously extremely important.

SLRDLs are not popular, but, trust me, they improve your balance and proprioception A LOT, which has a direct carryover to...everything in life.

Deadlifts are the single most essential exercise. REALLY work on your form. It is the best mass-gainer AND muscle-builder.

If fat-loss is a goal, I'd suggest you research intermittent fasting (it is a very easy concept). Watch your macros, and I'd take supplements to...supplement your diet. A good multi, fish oil, glucosamine, etc. If you're interested, I can give you everything I take, what brands of them I take, why I take them, and why you should too.

But really, just be consistent and don't neglect ANY lift. Only do deadlifts once a week and make sure, once you get your form down, to lift heavy.

If you ave any questions/concerns, you can ask me.
http://celticsinsider.freehostingcloud.com/
Celtics Insider - Your #1 Source For Anything And Everything Boston Celtics And NBA!

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2013, 08:18:42 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
some quick points not to over complicate it.

at your size eat roughly 150 grams of protein a day.
about 60 grams of fat
stretch often

there are some good apps on the smart phones you can down load that will help u keep track of your food intake

good luck

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2013, 08:21:41 AM »

Offline Celtics Insider

• Jrue Holiday
Also, as a heavy bencher, I'll give you a pro tip:

The best way to increase your bench is to overhead press.
Celtics Insider - Your #1 Source For Anything And Everything Boston Celtics And NBA!

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2013, 08:34:08 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
Whatever split/routine you decide to use, I'd make sure it had all of the following:

5. Knee Hinge (squat)

I am studying to be a S&C coach and have been lifting since my freshman year in HS (now a junior in college). Honestly, new lifters can usually make great gains on almost any routine, but, if you do all of the above exercises, you will most likely maximize your gains. Diet is obviously extremely important.

SLRDLs are not popular, but, trust me, they improve your balance and proprioception A LOT, which has a direct carryover to...everything in life.

Deadlifts are the single most essential exercise. REALLY work on your form. It is the best mass-gainer AND muscle-builder.

If fat-loss is a goal, I'd suggest you research intermittent fasting (it is a very easy concept). Watch your macros, and I'd take supplements to...supplement your diet. A good multi, fish oil, glucosamine, etc. If you're interested, I can give you everything I take, what brands of them I take, why I take them, and why you should too.

But really, just be consistent and don't neglect ANY lift. Only do deadlifts once a week and make sure, once you get your form down, to lift heavy.

I think you bring up some good points but I worry you may be getting too advanced/complicated for him.

I've heard great things about IMF but I would suggest he get a hold on simply eating consistently and eating whole clean foods before giving that a go.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2013, 08:41:50 AM »

Offline Celtics Insider

• Jrue Holiday

5. Knee Hinge (squat)

I think you bring up some good points but I worry you may be getting too advanced/complicated for him.

I've heard great things about IMF but I would suggest he get a hold on simply eating consistently and eating whole clean foods before giving that a go.
IF isn't some complex scheme. It's simply eating your calories only during certain hours of the day. Numerous studies have shown TREMENDOUS amounts of health benefits from IF, including a longer life and loss of bodyfat.

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2013, 08:54:25 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo

5. Knee Hinge (squat)

IF isn't some complex scheme. It's simply eating your calories only during certain hours of the day. Numerous studies have shown TREMENDOUS amounts of health benefits from IF, including a longer life and loss of bodyfat.

I'm not arguing against the health benefits of IM. I'm no stranger to this method of eating. Point I was trying to make, is before deciding if this is his fasting window or feeding window people should just learn to eat correctly. (Not implying he doesn't)

For instance, does IF do him any good if during his feeding window he's eating a big bowl of Coco Puffs?
*CB Miami Heat*