Author Topic: Eric Gordon & David Lee trade idea  (Read 2119 times)

Eric Gordon & David Lee trade idea
« on: May 24, 2013, 03:38:44 PM »

Offline mcshane41

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 14
The idea of moving Pierce for Gordon sounded odd since the Pelicans don't need salary cap relief or an aging vet for a title run.. I also found it interesting that the C's have so many 2nd round talents coming in for draft workouts. So I dreamed up this whopper of a trade, which actually works under CBA rules.

In a three team deal:
BOS sends Pierce to GS w/ DJ White
BOS sends Bradley, pick #16, Crawford, TWill, Shavlik to NO
NO sends Eric Gordon to BOS
GS sends David Lee to BOS

Would anyone go for it? *shrug*

GS makes out pretty well, they don't need Lee (see playoffs, 2013) and shedding his salary creates HUGE cap room for this young team in 2014. Pierce likely makes them better in 2013/14

NO cuts its loses on Gordon. The kid could be a dynamite scorer but can he stay on the court and does he even want to be in NO? Clearly they sell low here. Imagine his value in a year if he posts a 20ppg avg next year? I doubt they move him but getting a pick and Bradley isn't half bad return. Building a young team is tough and a hard nosed guy like AB would be great for their chemistry. (which is why it would not be fun to lose him).

BOS *could* get a go-to scorer in Gordon and a solid rebounding/inside scoring PF in Lee. If KG returned (big if after trading PP) with Rondo & Sully this would become a very interesting team. Plenty of scoring punch inside & out and a heckuva rebounding front line. If the D held up and these guys stayed healthy they'd be a top team in the east. OR they could be rebuilding without KG, AB, their #1 pick and two overpaid guys who never get healthy.. So there's that.

I had fun researching the CBA economics and dreaming it up anyways.

Re: Eric Gordon & David Lee trade idea
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 11:56:13 AM »

Offline paul peirce

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 1
cap doesnt work in the gordon trade

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 01:16:44 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
The idea of moving Pierce for Gordon sounded odd since the Pelicans don't need salary cap relief or an aging vet for a title run.. I also found it interesting that the C's have so many 2nd round talents coming in for draft workouts. So I dreamed up this whopper of a trade, which actually works under CBA rules.

In a three team deal:
BOS sends Pierce to GS w/ DJ White
BOS sends Bradley, pick #16, Crawford, TWill, Shavlik to NO
NO sends Eric Gordon to BOS
GS sends David Lee to BOS

Would anyone go for it? *shrug*

GS makes out pretty well, they don't need Lee (see playoffs, 2013) and shedding his salary creates HUGE cap room for this young team in 2014. Pierce likely makes them better in 2013/14

NO cuts its loses on Gordon. The kid could be a dynamite scorer but can he stay on the court and does he even want to be in NO? Clearly they sell low here. Imagine his value in a year if he posts a 20ppg avg next year? I doubt they move him but getting a pick and Bradley isn't half bad return. Building a young team is tough and a hard nosed guy like AB would be great for their chemistry. (which is why it would not be fun to lose him).

BOS *could* get a go-to scorer in Gordon and a solid rebounding/inside scoring PF in Lee. If KG returned (big if after trading PP) with Rondo & Sully this would become a very interesting team. Plenty of scoring punch inside & out and a heckuva rebounding front line. If the D held up and these guys stayed healthy they'd be a top team in the east. OR they could be rebuilding without KG, AB, their #1 pick and two overpaid guys who never get healthy.. So there's that.

I had fun researching the CBA economics and dreaming it up anyways.

You really think you could get Lee (a double double guy) AND Gordon for Pierce, Bradley, a mid #1 and filler?

GS would laugh big time at what you're giving them.  Bogut can't be counted on and therefore Lee is their best big by far.  You don't trade that for Pierce when you have Barnes and Thompson... 

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 12:37:50 AM »

Offline mcshane41

• Joe Mazzulla
cap doesnt work in the gordon trade

It does, this is a 3-team trade so the combined out going salaries work to bring in that haul.

You really think you could get Lee (a double double guy) AND Gordon for Pierce, Bradley, a mid #1 and filler?

No, of course not. I think its a pipe dream, just like pretty much every trade idea on this forum. It's just for fun. Also, Lee is nice player but his contract and league worst D brings his value down, it's Gordon that is the gem in this group.

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 01:03:36 AM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
Also, Lee is nice player but his contract and league worst D brings his value down, it's Gordon that is the gem in this group.

That was a really, really, really low blow against Lee. His defense is the worst in the league?

It may not be the elite defense we see from the likes of Duncan, KG, and Noah, but he's not a liability. Just because someone isn't known for their defense doesn't mean that they are bad defenders.

Lee's defense is, imo, average defense. Not stellar or lock down, but solid. It really seems like some of his defensive troubles are amplified, which isn't fair, because he's had a lot more defensive accomplishments.

Lee is more worth his contract than Pierce is worth his, too. Did you forget that he was an all-star this season?

I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 04:54:17 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Also, Lee is nice player but his contract and league worst D brings his value down, it's Gordon that is the gem in this group.

That was a really, really, really low blow against Lee. His defense is the worst in the league?

It may not be the elite defense we see from the likes of Duncan, KG, and Noah, but he's not a liability. Just because someone isn't known for their defense doesn't mean that they are bad defenders.

Lee's defense is, imo, average defense. Not stellar or lock down, but solid. It really seems like some of his defensive troubles are amplified, which isn't fair, because he's had a lot more defensive accomplishments.

Lee is more worth his contract than Pierce is worth his, too. Did you forget that he was an all-star this season?

"As I prepared my research paper [PDF] on interior defense for this week’s Sloan Sports Analytics Conference, I had a couple of these moments. The paper’s main point is that new kinds of analytics can reveal the abilities of the NBA’s interior defenders with newfound clarity. But as I did the analyses I couldn’t believe how bad David Lee’s numbers were. My analysis was saying that opponents hit 61 percent of their shots when David Lee was defending near the basket. This is a really high number."

If it's a low blow, it's one that shows up at the Sloan Conference (for what that's worth).

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/52811/courtvision-david-lees-interior-defense-a-k-a-the-golden-gate
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 09:00:34 PM »

Offline mcshane41

• Joe Mazzulla
I'm glad someone posted that link, that was where I got my impression on Lee's D being so terrible, it wasn't my observation but what I read about him.

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 09:10:00 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I'm not so sure NOLA would take Bradley, pick #16, Crawford, TWill, Shavlik...
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 09:14:08 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

"As I prepared my research paper [PDF] on interior defense for this week’s Sloan Sports Analytics Conference, I had a couple of these moments. The paper’s main point is that new kinds of analytics can reveal the abilities of the NBA’s interior defenders with newfound clarity. But as I did the analyses I couldn’t believe how bad David Lee’s numbers were. My analysis was saying that opponents hit 61 percent of their shots when David Lee was defending near the basket. This is a really high number."

If it's a low blow, it's one that shows up at the Sloan Conference (for what that's worth).

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/52811/courtvision-david-lees-interior-defense-a-k-a-the-golden-gate

61%!!  ::)

Games against Golden State are the ones that Brandon Bass and Steve Novak circle on the calendar...
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"