Author Topic: Danny needs to push hard into pursuing CP3  (Read 10806 times)

Re: Danny needs to push hard into pursuing CP3
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2013, 04:12:07 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
The title of this topic should be:

"Danny needs to push hard into pursuing a solid big man"

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2013, 04:25:13 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Let's trade a few of our role players (Sully, AB, Green) along with Rondo for Chris Paul.

After that, the only thing we'll need to do is find a few role players to put next to Chris Paul. Guys like Sully, AB and Green.

Except with less cap space.

But that's fine we can slide Chris Paul to the 5 and it'll solve all our problems. Just needa play small small small ball (like a 4'11 point guard?).
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 04:31:29 AM by bfrombleacher »

« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2013, 04:37:46 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
No.

He didn't do it in 2007. He didn't do it in 2010. We have never made the Finals with Rondo as our best player.
are you joking about 2010? that was rondo's legendary year. he's the reason we came back against the cavs, and he's the reason we destroyed the magic. this truly was one of not just the best pg playoff performances ever but an all around greatest playoff performances

Revisionist history?

In 24 games during the 2010 playoffs Rondo had the following averages:

FG% 46.3
FT% 59.6
PPG 15.8
RPG 5.9
APG 9.3
SPG 1.9
TO 3.0

Solid? Yes. Great and legendary? No.

Is this a joke?  16, 9, 6 and 2 is only solid for a point guard?  Maybe it's the times we live in with so many great point guards.  Those numbers for the FOURTH option on a team is unheard of.

I'd say we can all agree that Rondo was the fourth option on that team.

As such, it is very unlikely he was the best player on that team.

...So, because of utterly unimpeachable, irrefutable science, he's never lead his team to the Finals.  :P
You can say things that aren't true all you want, just like you can judge a players worth by his shot attempts.

Edit: And then I go look at shot attempts, Rondo was second by shot attempts anyways the year in question. So really "fourth option" is just your slotting him into that spot in the pecking order by some other criteria.

You stay away from my science.

By the numbers, Rondo was the best player in the playoffs on the 2010 Celtics squad.  He was certainly the best player in the Cavs series where he averaged 21 PPG, 12 APG, 6 RPG, 54% from the field, with a 3.2 A/TO ratio.
Shhh don't tell him that. It undercuts his argument!

You guys might be right, and he might have been the biggest individual contributor to the 2010 run.

I just can't put Rondo ahead of the Big Three in that playoff run, especially when he was such a non-entity when it counted the most.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2013, 10:05:23 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

As for the Cavs series, I give that nod to KG and the Truth for emotionally abusing Lebron to the point that he completely no-showed a must-win Game 5.

Giving the nod to PP and his 14/4/5 on 35% shooting over Rondo's 21/6/12 is roughly equivalent to giving the nod to Rondo over PP in the 2008 finals. It's just nonsensical.

Also, while that screengrab is not from 2010, that particular 'defensive scheme' is what I was trying to illustrate (and the Lakers used it very, very, often in that finals series). Namely let's leave Rondo alone and make him beat us.

Aside from Rondo battling through an injury in the 2010 finals the only reason that 'defensive scheme' was effective was Artest kneeing Ray in the thigh in game 3 or so. While it's true the Lakers gave Rondo plenty of space it's also true that the strategy involved putting their best defensive guard on Rondo and that scheme had Ray Allen setting 3 point records in game 2 with Fisher on him. The only time they tried their scheme with Kobe on Ray was the 2nd half of game 2 and Rondo led the team to a win with 10 points in the last 6 minutes.

Which is really another way of me saying that while I think swapping Rondo for CP3 is relatively useless, Rondo has had about as much success as Paul when he's been the team's best player--a mark I set as '10-'11 til the present.

So you refuse to give Rondo credit for 2010 when he was clearly our best player in the postseason and decide to only compare the last 3 playoffs when Rondo was injured in 2 of them, and guess what? Rondo *still* had considerably more success than CP3 over that time period.

« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2013, 04:43:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Rondo led all NBA players in total assists in the playoffs in 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2012. Rondo led all NBA players in total steals in the playoffs in 2008, 2010 and 2012.

That is not an easy thing to do. If we have a player that can do that type of stuff in the playoffs over and over again, why do we want to trade him and other assets for a guy that might be able to do the same thing and score a little more but that's it?

We have our proven playoff performing PG what we need is someone to add to him, not to replace him.

« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2013, 04:47:41 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Rondo led all NBA players in total assists in the playoffs in 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2012. Rondo led all NBA players in total steals in the playoffs in 2008, 2010 and 2012.

That is not an easy thing to do. If we have a player that can do that type of stuff in the playoffs over and over again, why do we want to trade him and other assets for a guy that might be able to do the same thing and score a little more but that's it?

We have our proven playoff performing PG what we need is someone to add to him, not to replace him.

Agreed. TP.

I'd much rather spend the time and assets addressing the front court issues.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2013, 06:24:50 PM »

Offline NocturnalRebel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
There's a center with those initials?
Loyalty Is Royalty

« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2013, 07:34:01 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
How about DA pushes for a consistent 15+ pg Shooting Guard and a On the Block, defensive rebounding PF, and a legit Back up center.

I've see people wanting to trade Rondo/Green/Sully for CP3. And thats a horrible trade. You get more out of those three then you would CP3. Hes a great player and all, but then you get really weak at the 3 and 4 spot when your left with PP, and Bass, and know cap space to bring in other talent at Green and Sully's caliber. You'd end up with Peach's and White as your back ups, and that in no way is better then Green and Sully, especially for the future. CP3 wouldn't come here unless theres an other player or two for him to run with for the next 4 years. KG and PP wont cut it with out other young players, and I don't think AB is good enough to sway him in coming. 

Plus I'd like to see one more year of Green and Sully. See if what they were doing before the season ended for Green and Sully were flukes or they were coming into their own. Give them an other year out of their surgeries and lets see. If its true that Sully was playing on one leg, I'd like to see what he does with two!