Author Topic: Free agent Pietrus wants to return to Celtics, expects visit from Doc  (Read 5086 times)

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
If Lee is used in some kind of trade this off season, Peaches would be perfect wing depth behind Terry and Bradley.

Offline CapnDunks

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
Piertrus was much more successful in playoffs with celtics than Lee was. While playing HARD on that bad knee. Good lockerroom/energy guy. Good D. Def worth the min if we end up with space on the wing.

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
If DA can move one or two of Lee/Bradley/Terry, Peaches would be a nice (re-)addition.

If only we could find a way to get DMC here for some combo of Green, Bass, Bradley, Lee, Melo, picks, cash, etc.

I'd also go for Gortat if we could make it happen without giving up Sully or Green, but that seems unlikely. Bass, Bradley, Melo, fillers (future 2nd rounder/cash) enough?

Green and Lee for Josh Smith?

Draft a SG.

Resign Barbosa.

Add Pietrus.

Rondo/Barbosa/TWill
Pierce/Terry/#16pick
Smith/Pietrus/Vet Min
KG/Sullinger/Vet Min
Gortat/Mini-MLE/Randolph

That would allow us to finally play Pierce and KG 26 mpg like we should, then we can play them more once playoffs begin.
CELTICS 2024

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
what is this boards fascination with this guy? 

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

He's a SG who is not undersized and wants to be a Celtic and may be available for the minimum.  Unlike most ideas to bring back an ex-Celtic, I don't think this is horrible.

I'd be concerned enough that he is old and declining and injury-prone that I'd be willing to explore options from the D-League.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

He's a SG who is not undersized and wants to be a Celtic and may be available for the minimum.  Unlike most ideas to bring back an ex-Celtic, I don't think this is horrible.

I'd be concerned enough that he is old and declining and injury-prone that I'd be willing to explore options from the D-League.

I don't think it is horrible either.  Peaches gave great effort, bought into the team concept, and actually gave us some size as a defender at the 2.  He never really got his 3 point shooting going, but I would take him back at min, especially if either terry or lee get traded.  excellent deep bench depth if we think we are making the playoffs next year. 

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
With our cap situation, this is the best value you can get. The guy knows Doc systems and has proven to be reliable.
With that in mind you can indeed trade Lee Bass or Bass Terry for a big.
I hope Toronto won't find a team to trade him and Danny will take him at vet min.

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
If DA can move one or two of Lee/Bradley/Terry, Peaches would be a nice (re-)addition.

If only we could find a way to get DMC here for some combo of Green, Bass, Bradley, Lee, Melo, picks, cash, etc.

I'd also go for Gortat if we could make it happen without giving up Sully or Green, but that seems unlikely. Bass, Bradley, Melo, fillers (future 2nd rounder/cash) enough?

Green and Lee for Josh Smith?

Draft a SG.

Resign Barbosa.

Add Pietrus.

Rondo/Barbosa/TWill
Pierce/Terry/#16pick
Smith/Pietrus/Vet Min
KG/Sullinger/Vet Min
Gortat/Mini-MLE/Randolph

That would allow us to finally play Pierce and KG 26 mpg like we should, then we can play them more once playoffs begin.

Boy that LOOKS like a championship team there. I mean, Rondo, Pierce, Josh Smith, Garnett, and Gortat as your starting lineup. And then the bench...assuming the Celtics are 100% healthy.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
He'd be very good value and someone we will need if Pierce leaves. Another wing defender to guard Lebron when Green is resting. He can also guard guys like JR Smith and Wade.
If we can get him for 1 million or less then I'm all for it.
He shot terribly for us on his last stint but his defense in the playoffs was excellent.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
As Wyc suggested, the C's are likely on a multi-year journey back to real competitiveness.  I'd rather they have a young player whose value could be building for them at the backup 3 slot than another beyond-peak player in his 30's there.

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Pietrus will not be in the NBA next year.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

Offline TheBigTicket2014

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
Yeah definitely bring him back next year. Pietrus and Barbosa are two vets that will sign for the minimum. Those guys are both competitors and make the hustle plays. A huge lift off the bench two seasons ago against Miami. You guys are crazy to not want those two.

Pietrus won't be in the league? They said the same thing about Kenyon Martin and Birdman.

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I'd bring him back in a heatbeat.

I think he would be so happy to be here that he wouldn't care what his role is, how many minutes he plays, etc.

I'll tell you what though - last season we had EXPONENTIALLY more on paper talent than we did the year before, yet the prior year we were a better team. 

Why?

Because in the prior season we had guys who performed above their talent level simply because every guy on that roster played with 150% effort every night.  Marquis, Dooling, Pietrus, Stiemsma, etc.  None of those guys are super talented, they just played HARD. 

This season we underperformed because he had the talent to make the ECF but never played like it.  And don't bring up the loss of Rondo either, because even when we WERE healthy we were a fringe playoff team.

The loss of Pietrus killed us last season I think.  Regardless of what anybody says he was a VERY good (at times exceptional) defensive player who had the quickness to defend guards and the size/strength to defend forwards, plus he was a tough-as-nails guy who would play hurt and who would never shy away from contact.  He got to the line well and he defended with physicality every single time. Plus as streaky as he was offensivley, he did have the ability to get on fire from three and when he did he was lights out.

There are no words to describe how DESPERATELY we needed somebody like that last season.  Jeff Green had the talent but lacked the aggression, Pierce lacked the footspeed to defend a SG, Lee never looked like he cared about anything, Bradley lacked size to switch onto a SF, Terry struggles against big or quick guards defensively.  Pietrus played the 2 and 3 spot equally well for us and he even handled the 4 spot reasonably well when we went super small.

I'm 95% sure he would sign for the vet min...and as far as Vet Min players go he's honestly about as good as it gets.  At that price there is nothing to lose.  If he performs poorly at the vet min you bench him or buy him out, there is seriously no risk at all. 

DO IT DANNY!! We need guys on the team who's desire to win is equal to or greater than their talent, and we had only a handful of those last season.

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Guy was horrible last season. All the references here are in the past tense. No proof this guy has anything to offer the C's at this stage in his career.