Author Topic: A core of Rondo-Bradley-Green-Sully-Center will win a title  (Read 22183 times)

Re: A core of Rondo-Bradley-Green-Sully-Center will win a title
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2013, 07:43:44 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Dear Chambers:

*Rondo
*klay Thompson
*green
*sully
*Cousins

That is a "sick' team. Please get it done.

Thank you.

The management

« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2013, 07:52:16 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think people are skippng over the OPs point that he's not talking about this upcoming season..

The OP based a lot of his 'you're all gonna be wrong' sentiment from the notion that people (including myself said they wouldn't win more than 35 games without KG/Pierce and without substantial additions.

And we were talking about only next season, not 3 or 4 years from now.

But to address this, it's also quite unlikely that in 3 years this core will still be intact. None of Jeff Green, Sully, or Rondo or Bradley are true #1 guys on a contender. Hopefully some of them will be shipped out to go find that guy. Or, we'll be so bad that holding on to Rondo or Jeff just won't make a ton of sense and we'll look to trade them.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2013, 08:28:06 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
But to address this, it's also quite unlikely that in 3 years this core will still be intact. None of Jeff Green, Sully, or Rondo or Bradley are true #1 guys on a contender. Hopefully some of them will be shipped out to go find that guy. Or, we'll be so bad that holding on to Rondo or Jeff just won't make a ton of sense and we'll look to trade them.

I think Rondo and Green can be the #2 and #3 guys on a contender and I am hoping Sullinger will develop into the Al Jefferson role of young pyrite who is used to pry away the real deal from a team with an All-Star caliber player going nowhere and willing to trade a mediocre present for a brighter future.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2013, 08:37:12 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Sorry Sully and AB can not give us a title

« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2013, 08:48:49 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Thats all I have to say. I see a lot of folks saying that a team with that core will win no more that 35 games. That is completely self imposed misery quite typical of Boston sports fans.

Im not saying that means they will win the title next year but within the next several years, that team will win a title. You heard it here first.
If our starting lineup is Rondo, Bradley, Green, Sully and "a center" (Melo?) that team wins 22-35 games. 

Massive warped-view homerism.  This team was awful without KG on the floor.

« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2013, 08:53:52 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Wait.. by "Core" do you mean "a bench"... post-injury Rondo as the 6th man, Bradley as defensive pest playing spot minutes, Sully as a solid backup tweener, Green as the bench scorer.  Yeah, I could see that being an excellent championship bench core for the 2019 Andrew Wiggins Boston Celtics.

« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2013, 09:25:01 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Rondo-[prime JET]-Green-[really good version of Sully]-[12-6 guy at worst] is better, but probably still not a contender...
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2013, 09:44:44 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Thats all I have to say. I see a lot of folks saying that a team with that core will win no more that 35 games. That is completely self imposed misery quite typical of Boston sports fans.

Im not saying that means they will win the title next year but within the next several years, that team will win a title. You heard it here first.
If our starting lineup is Rondo, Bradley, Green, Sully and "a center" (Melo?) that team wins 22-35 games. 

Its ammusing how nonexistent your ability to judge talent is. its ok. Youre not alone. I will laugh in all of your faces next year. Funny that I have to say that to Celtics "fans" but I guess that's what this forum mostly consists of.

And no, that doesnt mean that if you dont think that team is a championship team then you are bad fan, but it definitely seems like you and a number of other posters are actually rooting for them to suck. You will be so wrong.

« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2013, 10:34:37 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
OMG. That would be the worst shooting team in the history of basketball. Who's gonna score on that team besides Green? That team is TRAGIC!!!!

« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2013, 10:51:51 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
OMG. That would be the worst shooting team in the history of basketball. Who's gonna score on that team besides Green? That team is TRAGIC!!!!

Yup, suddenly the Bobcats and Magic don't seem so bad.

« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2013, 10:55:59 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Its ammusing how nonexistent your ability to judge talent is. its ok. Youre not alone. I will laugh in all of your faces next year. Funny that I have to say that to Celtics "fans" but I guess that's what this forum mostly consists of.

And no, that doesnt mean that if you dont think that team is a championship team then you are bad fan, but it definitely seems like you and a number of other posters are actually rooting for them to suck. You will be so wrong.
Actually, technically you're right.  If KG retires and Pierce gets cut for nothing, we essentially have zero hope of competing and I'm hoping that we tank.  So in essence, I'm rooting for them to suck.  I'd like us to have a top pick in 2014... because a core of Rondo, Bradley, Green, Sully and "center" is a 8th seed at the very most... and being mediocre in this league is a good way to continue being mediocre indefinitely.  Adding mid-round low-impact draft picks and puttering along as also-rans until the end of time.  No fun.  I'd rather have a top 5 lotto pick in the huge 2014 draft where we potentially could land a franchise player.  I don't see any other way for us to land a superstar.   

You apparently have a VERY high impression of Avery Bradley and Jared Sullinger.   They are average young prospects.  YOu couldn't get a lotto pick for either of those guys straight up... even in this horrible draft.

I love Rondo, but Rondo probably isn't even making the all-star team next year. 

Jeff Green is a quality starter-level talent.  You could probably win a title if he's your 4th or 5th best player.

I dig your enthusiasm, but it's way off-base.  This team was terrible without KG on the floor.  Even fully  healthy WITH KG and Pierce, this team was below .500.  I'm a fan of the Celtics through the good times and the bad... we're in the midst of the bad times, my friend.  No point in lying to myself about it.   
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 11:04:58 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2013, 11:03:57 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

The tone of the OP in this whole thread has been downright offensive.  I would suggest that perhaps your virulence is a symptom of your own misgivings about such a lineup. 

Freud aside, I'm all for this lineup next season.  I think it puts us in contention for a top pick.

« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2013, 11:06:53 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

The tone of the OP in this whole thread has been downright offensive.  I would suggest that perhaps your virulence is a symptom of your own misgivings about such a lineup. 

Freud aside, I'm all for this lineup next season.  I think it puts us in contention for a top pick.
As negative as I am about that lineup, I do fear that Rondo and company is just good enough to play us out of a top 5 pick.  Rondo's a talented guy when healthy.  Sadly, a core of Rondo, Bradley, Green, SUlly and "Center' is definitely too bad to win a title.. and probably just good enough to miss out on the Wiggins sweepstakes.  Maybe Rondo will pull a D-Rose and skip a season so we can improve our tank chances.

« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2013, 11:55:17 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Looks like the Celtics' version of the Timberwolves sans Pekovic.

If that center isn't KG (or an All Star caliber center) and Pierce isn't coming off of the bench (if it's KG), that team is a 30-40 win team. With KG and Pierce, it's a 40-50 win team.

Rondo is a 2nd option on a contender; Green at this point is a 4th, but has the potential to be a 3rd as early as next year; and Bradley is a 6th option that could become a legitimate 5th option. Sullinger needs at least 2 more years to become the 2nd option on a Championship contender and more to become a 1st option (and he can barring injuries) because he's still in the prospect stages.

Don't take my word for it, just look at the top teams from top to bottom.

« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2013, 12:05:56 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Green is the only reliable scorer on this team. But defensively, this could be the best in the league. Watching Hibbert torching the Heat tonight in the paint makes me believe that this team will make it far if we can get or develop a center as good as Hibbert.