Author Topic: A core of Rondo-Bradley-Green-Sully-Center will win a title  (Read 22169 times)

Re: A core of Rondo-Bradley-Green-Sully-Center will win a title
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2013, 03:02:00 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Before I give my thoughts on the topic, could the OP explain WHY he thinks that core will win a title in the next couple years?
Because I am of the belief that Rondo will play the rest of his prime as he does in the playoffs aka a top 5 player in basketball.

I am also of the belief that Avery Bradley will become a high 30's 3 point shooter and that he and Rondo will be one of the most disruptive back courts of all time.

I also believe that Jeff Green will become a 21-24 ppg scorer and be a go to guy at the end of games as he has already shown this year.

I believe Sullinger will become a legit 3rd option and continue to be the clutch rebounder that he has already begun to show.

As for the Center, whether it is Gorgui Dieng, Greg Oden, or whoever (I still believe it will be KG next year), I think they will be a legitimate option on offense as well as help lead one of the best defenses in the league.

I think this will be a team that will run like mad off of stops but also be able to perform in the half court.

Im glad everyone liked this thread enough that you all decided to take the time to find an appropriate gif to go along with your comment.

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2013, 03:16:39 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
For that to happen we need the following dominos to fall
1. Rondo continues his upward shooting trend, pulling a Jason Kidd and eventually shooting 40% from 3.
2. Bradley becomes a dead eye shooter, and goes from being second team all defense to unanimous first team.
3. Green develops a left hand and scores 20+ a game while giving great defense.
4. Sullinger becomes top 5 in the NBA in rebounding, loses some weight, and becomes a knock down shooter
5. The center is an elite shot blocker, can get out on screens similar to KG when he first got here, demands a consistent double team with a deadly low post game and defelcts a ton of passes.
6. We get a bench player that can come in and fill it up, but in a high percentage way
7. Add An energy bench player that increases the activity level of the whole team with his effort.

I think all these things are possible and I even believe some might happen, but I'm not optimistic enough to think they all will.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2013, 03:33:23 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Like others said, unless the "Center" is on the level of Tim Duncan or Shaq in their prime, I respectfully disagree with the title of the thread.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2013, 03:36:48 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Before I give my thoughts on the topic, could the OP explain WHY he thinks that core will win a title in the next couple years?
Because I am of the belief that Rondo will play the rest of his prime as he does in the playoffs aka a top 5 player in basketball.

I am also of the belief that Avery Bradley will become a high 30's 3 point shooter and that he and Rondo will be one of the most disruptive back courts of all time.

I also believe that Jeff Green will become a 21-24 ppg scorer and be a go to guy at the end of games as he has already shown this year.

I believe Sullinger will become a legit 3rd option and continue to be the clutch rebounder that he has already begun to show.

As for the Center, whether it is Gorgui Dieng, Greg Oden, or whoever (I still believe it will be KG next year), I think they will be a legitimate option on offense as well as help lead one of the best defenses in the league.

I think this will be a team that will run like mad off of stops but also be able to perform in the half court.

Im glad everyone liked this thread enough that you all decided to take the time to find an appropriate gif to go along with your comment.

Tommy point.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2013, 03:37:50 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
1. Rondo continues his upward shooting trend, pulling a Jason Kidd and eventually shooting 40% from 3.
2. Bradley becomes a dead eye shooter, and goes from being second team all defense to unanimous first team.
4. Sullinger becomes top 5 in the NBA in rebounding, loses some weight, and becomes a knock down shooter
5. The center is an elite shot blocker, can get out on screens similar to KG when he first got here, demands a consistent double team with a deadly low post game and defelcts a ton of passes.
6. We get a bench player that can come in and fill it up, but in a high percentage way
7. Add An energy bench player that increases the activity level of the whole team with his effort.

I think all these things are possible and I even believe some might happen, but I'm not optimistic enough to think they all will.
This is along the lines of what I believe except for Rondo becoming a 40% 3 pt shooter.

I think Avery was undoubtedly first team THIS year.

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2013, 03:43:20 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Thats all I have to say. I see a lot of folks saying that a team with that core will win no more that 35 games. That is completely self imposed misery quite typical of Boston sports fans.

Im not saying that means they will win the title next year but within the next several years, that team will win a title. You heard it here first.

I am just curious as to what you've seen that leads you to believe that is a championship core?

We've yet to see Rondo play on his own without two vets like Pierce/KG, Bradley is a decent defender and mediocre scorer, Jeff Green still hasn't shown me that he can consistently bring it every night and Sully only has played half a season.

Also, your claim that "only fans with self imposed misery" don't believe this is a championship team is a pretty bold claim, don't you think?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 03:52:42 PM by gpap »

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2013, 04:01:45 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

hard to argue with some of this.
i think your worst points are rondo shooting 40% and sully being a top 5 rebounder.
but to those points, there's scientific evidence that those with ACL tears come back with better shooting. And Sully has already lost weight and won't have back issues any more.
i'm already in the group that thinks jg will be 21-24ppg
I also see nothing wrong with what you said about AB

so...speaking in FUTURE terms...as in not next season but seasons AFTERWARDS, I don't see why it's not a possibility. people seem to think you're talking about next season. and even wyc thinks this core will be too good to get us into the lottery.

I think for next season, there will be too much to develop. not sure sully and jg as a #2 scorer will be mentally prepared for the playoffs.

and for those who are talking about spacing, let's just look at how the nuggets overachieved with no real spacing. and yes, they too had a first round exit, but we could be singing a different tune had they had gallinari or actually decided to put someone on curry.

at any rate...i appreciate ur optimisim OP

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2013, 04:08:45 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

i think your worst points are rondo shooting 40% and sully being a top 5 rebounder.
but to those points, there's scientific evidence that those with ACL tears come back with better shooting.

You got a link for that? That sounds fishy.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2013, 04:18:04 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I would like to point out that I firmly believe that not all opinions hold equal weight.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2013, 04:19:05 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

but to those points, there's scientific evidence that those with ACL tears come back with better shooting.

there was a whole post about it here lol
how those with ACL tears come back with better jumpers because it's essentially all they can do as they recover

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323384604578326451812887938.html

i guess it's not 'scientific evidence' but there are stats that help prove the point.

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2013, 04:23:32 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474

Yeah, that is a whole lot of good fortune smiling down on us if all of those things come together.  I have to admire the optimism of the original post, but I honestly don't see this happening.  With Rondo and Green I think we know what we have.  They can be solid starters on a contender.  With AB and Sully I think the jury is still out.  They have played great in short stretches but...

If we were able to get a 2 guard that can flat out score, and a great post player (prefer a C) to add to those 4 then we might be a dangerous team again.  Even though I love AB, he would need to improve his scoring a lot for this to work.  If he can't improve his scoring, then I see him as the killer D weapon off the bench, either 6th or 7th man.

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2013, 04:26:11 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

there was a whole post about it here lol
how those with ACL tears come back with better jumpers because it's essentially all they can do as they recover

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323384604578326451812887938.html

i guess it's not 'scientific evidence' but there are stats that help prove the point.

Well, I guess that's something to be thankful for then. TP for the link!

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2013, 04:41:38 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Yeah that team could win a title.

If that center was some type of genetic hybrid of Bill Russell, Shaq, Kareem, Jordan, and Bird. It's like the movie twins with Arnold. They make a milkshake The body and strength of Shaq, The defense of Russel, Kareem's sky-hook and Bruce lee moves, Bird's shooting touch and BBIQ, Jordan's athleticism and clutch gene, and well throw in the dream shake from Hakeem. Then we could win it easy.
Not likely:

LOVE THAT DOC PICTURE AND QUOTE!!!   TP for you. 

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2013, 06:59:36 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
I think people are skippng over the OPs point that he's not talking about this upcoming season..
I think with that core we are 7/8th seed this upcoming season, WHICH I think may be overachieving for them. If that happens and we get the right pieces, I'm not sure how not.

Rondo continues hitting 45% of his jumpers and even 30-35% of his 3s this season, takes on more of a scoring load + AB increasing his percentages 5 or so % puts him at 36% from the 3 and 45% from the field = this is absolutely possible thanks to the stats and its evident RR been working on his jumper and I expect ABs %s to go back up with healed shoulders and more focus on being an SG not a PG.

This right here, I think, will make a WORLD of difference. At some point you have to start respecting RR and ABs shots. Let's not forget, that AB was shooting 49% from the field and 40% from the 3 before he got hurt 2011-2012 season. I'm not sure why so many of us have forgotten this. He can shoot.

I think Jeff Green is then forced into the #2 go to guy position...maybe even first. And I don't think he'll produce right away, but I think he and Rondo will do great things. I also am not sure why people think 20+ ppg/5.5rebs/1 block a game is too much for Jeff. That's essentially what he did this past season as a starter.

If he keeps that production AND develops a left (which can happen in 2 seasons), I don't see why he wouldn't be even better than what we imagined. Let me also note I'm not a person who thinks JG isn't AGGRESSIVE enough. I just think that's his style of play, so I don't count on that. In other words, JG played FINE to me.

Sully will be someone to look at but he's stood up to Tyson Chandler -- that's when I knew he was great. Top 5 rebonder? Eh but hard worker in the post, def. Work on his post game, we know he can hit the jumper -- coach will just have to do that for us. Maybe work into a pick n pop game for he and RR.

How are these things not solid for the 2014-2015 season? I think if we keep JET, even Lee on the bench, that'd be spectacular. If you switch out Eric Gordon for AB, I'm not sure...Gordon can still shoot. But he's expensive.

I think you have to keep Shav even if it's just for depth purposes. And bring back LB or keep J. Craw for bench scorer purposes.
Have to also keep in mind that this starting 5 is under 30 even in 2 years. So that, too.

It's really hard to argue against some of this esp thinking in 2 years and considering development.

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2013, 07:10:25 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
On the flip side, if I'm totally pessimistic

I can say Rondo will come back a doozy -- I find that hard to understand. He played on his partially torn ACL. It's also a partially torn ACL. But we'll have to see.

AB could continue to regress -- but we could attribute his poor numbers to his poor shooting and his poor PG skills. Even if he shoots what he did 2012 season (40 3FG and 49FG), AB is probably at 12-15ish ppg rather than 9ppg (on 31 3FG and 40FG)

Jeff Green regresses -- I'm a JG fanatic...I don't see him regressing. I'm even hoping this upcoming season is his 'Lebron Game 6' season...where he just realizes he's unstoppable and a beast. Not likely to happen, but him regressing? I'm not sure. I think the East and this team suit him a lil better.

Sully comes back and is a dooz -- I believe Sully was feeling fine a couple months ago. I could be making this up, but I remember hearing something about him feeling great. He's also lost weight.

This Center -- Who knows? Big AL wouldn't work? Paul Millsap? I'd take those guys and think they'd be suitable. Hey, what if Fab develops! lol -- this is the most pessimistic of them

and also, we need to be a traditional big team...these are the only people causing problems for the Heat. and we need to beat the Heat.