Author Topic: A core of Rondo-Bradley-Green-Sully-Center will win a title  (Read 22193 times)

Re: A core of Rondo-Bradley-Green-Sully-Center will win a title
« Reply #135 on: May 27, 2013, 09:18:24 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
*sigh*
are you kidding me?

Roy Hibbert wanted a max contract and everyone was extremely confused. Everyone laughed at him. Everyone said he wasn't worth it. Everyone said he wasn't good. In 2012 HE WAS AN AVERAGE TO SLIGHT LY ABOVE AVG CENTER!!
Jesus Christ, you do realize Roy Hibbert made the All-Star team in 2012, right? My god.

So did Jamal Magliore.

I don't know who that is, but if you're an All-Star, you're not "an average to slight ly [sic] above avg center". Hibbert is a surefire top 5 center in the league... top 3.

Jamal Magliore was an all star and decidedly average.

Aye, I can't counter that, but Hibbert is decidedly above average by quite a bit.

Here's what they said when I called him overpaid.

how do u counterattack my point by posting a thread that essentially exemplifies what i'm talking about
no one thought roy hibbert would be good or worth the money. yes he's big and tall, but he averaged 12 and 8. no way you saw him having a 29/10+ performance in the playoffs. impossible

« Reply #136 on: May 27, 2013, 09:22:14 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
i'm yet perplexed by people saying we don't have a closer

did anyone SEE JGs clutch 3s, jumpers, drives and layups in the fourth quarter of games?
Just wondering

« Reply #137 on: May 27, 2013, 09:48:08 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
JG is the only clutch scorer in that lot though.  Rondo is productive but not always clutch.

« Reply #138 on: May 27, 2013, 10:01:16 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Both Doc and Paul have basically passed the defacto torch to JG.

Green is our closer now.

« Reply #139 on: May 27, 2013, 10:08:39 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

I will never forget Jeff Green's missed three pointer from the top of the key. He better develop that shot a ton this summer.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #140 on: May 27, 2013, 10:19:19 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81

did anyone SEE JGs clutch 3s, jumpers, drives and layups in the fourth quarter of games?
Just wondering
I mean yeah that dude definitley has an unstoppable ability to drive. He had two game winners this year which was two more than everyone else on the team.

« Reply #141 on: May 27, 2013, 10:21:56 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

Just wondering
I mean yeah that dude definitley has an unstoppable ability to drive. He had two game winners this year which was two more than everyone else on the team.

To be honest, one of them was a collective effort
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #142 on: May 27, 2013, 10:22:43 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

Just wondering

yes...game winners
but there were times when games seemed to look like they were slipping away and Jeff made HUGE shots down the stretch

also...I've seen Rondo pull out some clutchiness down the stretch, granted, I believe that was the playoffs. But the thing is, in years to come, if Jeff and Rondo are still playing for the Celtics, they're going to have to become those guys.

And they can. And I believe they will.

« Reply #143 on: May 27, 2013, 10:53:44 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum

Just wondering

yes...game winners
but there were times when games seemed to look like they were slipping away and Jeff made HUGE shots down the stretch

also...I've seen Rondo pull out some clutchiness down the stretch, granted, I believe that was the playoffs. But the thing is, in years to come, if Jeff and Rondo are still playing for the Celtics, they're going to have to become those guys.

And they can. And I believe they will.
100% believe that as well.

« Reply #144 on: May 27, 2013, 10:54:06 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum

Just wondering

To be honest, one of them was a collective effort
This is true but a game winner is a game winner.

« Reply #145 on: May 28, 2013, 12:27:05 AM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
Unfortunately by the logic of this thread, 80% of the league has a core just as ypung and judt as potential filled as ours, or even moreso, so apparently there are 25 teams that are likely to win a title in the next ten years.
There are 25 Rondo's out there?  That's news to me...
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #146 on: May 28, 2013, 02:00:45 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
anything can happen in the draft, but i'm pretty sure Rondo-Bradley-Green-Sully will not win a title. And to the person saying no one expected the Pacers, well George and Hibbert are both very legit (and underrated by most non-Pacer fans).

*sigh*
are you kidding me?

Roy Hibbert wanted a max contract and everyone was extremely confused. Everyone laughed at him. Everyone said he wasn't worth it. Everyone said he wasn't good. In 2012 HE WAS AN AVERAGE TO SLIGHT LY ABOVE AVG CENTER!!

No one saw this Paul George thing coming from a mile away. What evidence did we have of him becoming a star this year? He was almost useless last season. Now he's helping carrying his team against the Heat?

The Pacers are supposed to be Danny Granger and David West's team. Don't try to use what we know as logic for what we shoulda known at the beginning of the season. NO ONE saw this coming.

And to that point, the OP is saying anything is possible.

Your judgements about others' assessments of Paul George are very far off. People may have missed how good Paul George could've been during his rookie year. But between that and his sophomore season, he grew an inch or two, flashes signs of greatness during his rookie season as a defensive player, and looked like a fairly good bet to breakout during his sophomore campaign. The fact that he only averaged 12 points was the surprise, not that he took a large step forward this season.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #147 on: May 28, 2013, 02:55:40 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Seems there's a very stark dialectic in this here thread. One side of it is leveraged on the +ves and reckons we've only just began to see how good this core can be and the other riding on the -ves and is convinced we've seen about as much as can be expected  from them. Both make decent arguments for the most part, but ultimately we won't know till they get out there and play some basketball. All in all I believe the work ethic and future good health of these guys is a strategic advantage over most NBA franchises  and that as Celtics a fan we've got a very good if not gifted front office that can secure the necessary pieces to get them over the hump. I'm a hopelessly naive optimist and proud of it.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #148 on: May 28, 2013, 03:31:16 AM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
anything can happen in the draft, but i'm pretty sure Rondo-Bradley-Green-Sully will not win a title. And to the person saying no one expected the Pacers, well George and Hibbert are both very legit (and underrated by most non-Pacer fans).

*sigh*
are you kidding me?

No one saw this Paul George thing coming from a mile away. What evidence did we have of him becoming a star this year? He was almost useless last season. Now he's helping carrying his team against the Heat?

The Pacers are supposed to be Danny Granger and David West's team. Don't try to use what we know as logic for what we shoulda known at the beginning of the season. NO ONE saw this coming.

Your judgements about others' assessments of Paul George are very far off. People may have missed how good Paul George could've been during his rookie year. But between that and his sophomore season, he grew an inch or two, flashes signs of greatness during his rookie season as a defensive player, and looked like a fairly good bet to breakout during his sophomore campaign. The fact that he only averaged 12 points was the surprise, not that he took a large step forward this season.

no one knew this would become PGs team, thanks to the injury. If anyone's, everyone thought David West had to step up and become that guy. Right now its PG and Roy, is my  point.

Thanks to the Rondo injury, JG had to step up. So my point is that these situations where players are kind of forced to grow or given that room to grow change players. Lucky for the Pacers Granger's injury didn't do much to mess up the roster. The Celtics had 3 injuries to deal with, or the Pacers could be us right now and we could be talking about how much a beast Jeff is.

At any rate, my point is players grow whether we see it or not. You stated your point as if Rondo, Jeff even Sully and AB haven't shown glimpses of greatness. I'd like to see what that looks like when the system isn't built around two guys 35+ and a legitimate center.

« Reply #149 on: May 28, 2013, 10:15:29 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

*sigh*
are you kidding me?

The problem is it's the Pacers and they were saying the same things about George that they'd just finished saying about Brandon Rush (pretty sure it was Rush, definitely someone they dumped).