Author Topic: (Get Bad) Rondo + 16 for Kidd-Golchrist + 4 (+ Sessions?  (Read 4743 times)

Re: (Get Bad) Rondo + 16 for Kidd-Golchrist + 4 (+ Sessions?
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2013, 05:55:33 PM »

Offline celtsfan44

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1
Great trade suggestion but I can't picture the Bobcats doing it.

Rondo's 4 all star selections just show how weak the EC was at PG some years and how second tier players on great teams sometimes get selected over more deserving players on weaker teams.  Heck remember Williams from Cleveland as an all-star since he was playing with Lebron?  Rondo may not have made the all star game given the Celtics record this year and his play if Rose hadn't been hurt.  He got voted by the fans.

But regardless of where you stand on Rondo's past performance, the more relevant question is how he stands today after an ACL injury.   The following 10 players not in any order are arguably better or as good heading into next season.    Rose, Curry, Wall, Parker, Westbrook, Irving, Lillard, Deron Williams, Ty Lawson, Chris Paul.   And then there are 3-4 guys that aren't that far behind Rondo and that doesn't even include the Burke from this years draft who has a chance to be a top 15 PG and may surprise and enter the top 10 like a Lillard. 

MKG is probably never going to be a great offensive player/scorer but he could be better then Rondo in both offense and defense.  He was younger then Rondo as a rookie and a bit better as well.  Scottie Pippen despite being older didn't set the world on fire as a rookie and he was older then MKG.

I just don't see the Bobcats doing this deal this off season but the Celtics would have to do it if they were ever offered it. 

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2013, 07:26:45 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Great trade suggestion but I can't picture the Bobcats doing it.

Rondo's 4 all star selections just show how weak the EC was at PG some years and how second tier players on great teams sometimes get selected over more deserving players on weaker teams.  Heck remember Williams from Cleveland as an all-star since he was playing with Lebron?  Rondo may not have made the all star game given the Celtics record this year and his play if Rose hadn't been hurt.  He got voted by the fans.

But regardless of where you stand on Rondo's past performance, the more relevant question is how he stands today after an ACL injury.   The following 10 players not in any order are arguably better or as good heading into next season.    Rose, Curry, Wall, Parker, Westbrook, Irving, Lillard, Deron Williams, Ty Lawson, Chris Paul.   And then there are 3-4 guys that aren't that far behind Rondo and that doesn't even include the Burke from this years draft who has a chance to be a top 15 PG and may surprise and enter the top 10 like a Lillard. 

MKG is probably never going to be a great offensive player/scorer but he could be better then Rondo in both offense and defense.  He was younger then Rondo as a rookie and a bit better as well.  Scottie Pippen despite being older didn't set the world on fire as a rookie and he was older then MKG.

I just don't see the Bobcats doing this deal this off season but the Celtics would have to do it if they were ever offered it.
TP.  Great first post.

Rondo's a solid player.  He's a 4 time all-star, but there's no promises he'll be an all-star next year.  Too much competition at the guard spot in the East.  Rose and Wade get voted in... then there's Irving, Wall, George, Rondo, Holiday, etc all trying to get the coaches vote next season.

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2013, 08:58:40 PM »

Offline ejk3489

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 215
Do people really value players based on meaninglessness All-Star selections? Curry didn't even make the team this year despite having his best regular season to date...doesn't mean he isn't a great player.

Personally I'm more concerned with Rondo's health next season than whether or not he makes the All-Star team.

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2013, 01:04:38 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I bring up Rondo's all star game appearances, his MVP votes, his all NBA team selection, his all NBA defensive team selections, not because I think they define who he is as a player.  For me, it just confirms that I'm not just a delusional, green-goggle wearing, crazy homer and Rondo fanboy. 

I shouldn't need this confirmation.  I should be able to trust what my eyes tell me, backed up what the numbers show, but after being jeered, laughed at, and mocked for my regard for our star point guard so often around here, it's nice to know that those who are getting paid to cover the NBA and to coach in the league (not to mention his fellow NBA players) see the same things that I do.

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2013, 02:08:03 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
The point of this idea is to get young assets and try to get really bad next year.  Try to get a top 4 pick in 2014 wi the hope that it will be top 2.

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist is a good prospect and you could draft Zeller at #4.

If you were lucky enough to get Parker or Wiggins or even Randle in 2014, then you have the start of a good nucleus.  You couldnt do much with free agency in 2014, but you would start getting flexibility in 2015 and 2016 to add to the young guys.

Maybe this could be done in connection with moving KG out west for a young piece and buying out Pierce?

I don't think it helps either team.   They aren't near contending so why would they trade for Rondo and give up MKG and the #4?  And for us we would be in full blown rebuild mode if we did this which won't happen either...

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2013, 05:44:52 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
I know it is unlikely that they decide to go in full rebuild mode.  My idea is, what if they did?

1. KG for Bledsoe/Jordan
2. Rondo for MKG + 4th pick Sessions
3. Buy Out Pierce or trade him for a mid to late first round pick.  Would the Kings give up the 7th pick if you took back Salmons and Hayes bad contract?  Would Dallas give up #13?

You would have a ton of young assets:

Bledsoe  Sessions
Bradley  Lee
Green  MKG
Sullinger  Bass   
Jordan  Zeller

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 07:16:51 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I don't think MKG or Zeller will be great nba players.

I bet at some point over the next couple years, Rondo will be able to fetch back a better future asset.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2013, 08:31:56 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2013, 09:19:53 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50