Author Topic: Who is available for cap relief package of expiring Crawford plus unguaranteeds?  (Read 2730 times)

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Assuming the Celtics are paying luxury tax, they can take back 125%+$100,000 of outgoing salary.  So these are the maximum they can take for various packages (using salaries from basketball-reference.com):

Crawford - $2.8m
Crawford/Williams - $3.99m
Crawford/Williams/White - $5.27m
Crawford/Williams/White/Randolph - $6.66m

A team would need to have a few roster spots to take on Crawford plus the China three, even if it plans on releasing the unguaranteed contracts immediately.

There are several possibilities for trade:
-Some teams are said to be looking to trade their first-round picks this year.  Crawford, Williams, and White (if necessary) for an overpaid player who is signed for up to $5.27m next season, plus maybe a season beyond, for a first round pick or a swap of first round picks
-Crawford plus unguaranteed contracts to a tax-paying team looking to reduce its tax burden
-Crawford plus unguaranteed contracts to a team with cap space trying to get even more cap space so it can offer more to a free agent
-Crawford plus unguaranteed contracts plus a first round pick for a team looking to shed a veteran who is not conducive to a tanking strategy

You can look at players whose contract fits the sizes I outlined.  Click on 2013-2014 to sort by salaries for that season.

Here are some ideas that fit.  If a guard is coming back, assume the Celtics try to move Lee or Terry.

-Crawford/Williams/White/Randolph to Toronto for Landry Fields to get that big SG that some people want on the bench behind Avery Bradley
-Crawford/Williams/White to Phoenix for Luis Scola as it looks to clear space to go after a free agent such as Josh Smith.  Phoenix may ask for draft considerations.
-Crawford/White/Williams and a first-round pick for Lou Williams if Atlanta loses Josh Smith, signs no big free agents, and decides to tank
-Crawford/White/Williams to Minny for Jose Barea, who is reportedly available
-Crawford/Williams to the Lakers for Chris Duhon (or Crawford/White for Steve Blake) if you want a veteran point guard as Rondo insurance.  It saves the Lakers a few million but does nothing to make them more able to sign a free agent
-Crawford/Williams to Indiana for Gerald Green because what's the point of having a thread like this without a token bring-back-an-ex-Celtic idea
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Nice efforts here, LC.

You may want to preface your discussion with the proviso that these are 2013-14 contract numbers. Things are radically different if Ainge wants to complete a draft night trade involving some of these guys.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2418
Wilson Chandler would be a good replacement for Jeff Green if Green were traded for a talented big man.

I think Beasley is an interesting reclamation project. He would be a worthwhile fall-back option for Danny to take if trades for a more proven big man fell through.

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Wilson Chandler would be a good replacement for Jeff Green if Green were traded for a talented big man.

I think Beasley is an interesting reclamation project. He would be a worthwhile fall-back option for Danny to take if trades for a more proven big man fell through.

I really like the Wilson Chandler idea. While he has been fairly injury prone, he has a lot of things to like. First off, he's on a very reasonable contract that only pays him about 5-6mill for the next three years and he averaged 12points/5.5rebounds this past season while shooting a career-high 41% from 3pt range. He can also defend well and play multiple positions and is just turning 26 years old.

His injury concerns can't be ignored as he has only played a full season once in his career I believe but at his price tag, I think he's worth the risk.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
How about Crawford/White/Randolph/Williams for Mosgov in a sign and trade? Crawford's rookie deal expires tip year right? And all the other guys can be waived creating another 3 million in car space.
Banner 18 please 😍

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Add Melo to that package of contracts and Gortat fits.

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo

PHX is not dumping Gortat. They can net a pretty decent package for him
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

I mean, I guess it depends what decent means, but they couldn't get a 2013 1st for him, so I'd be surprised if they could get a 2014 pick.  That said, the salaries work and you could always add future draft compensation if you want.  But seeing as the new PHX GM is from the Celtics, he might actually like Melo, and consider that decent compensation.  Certainly he's knows him better than any other GM (aside from Ainge).

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
I think Gortat could absolutely net a 1st round pick in this draft. I could see Portland trading theirs if nothing they like is at #10
*CB Miami Heat*

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

I mean, I guess it depends what decent means, but they couldn't get a 2013 1st for him, so I'd be surprised if they could get a 2014 pick.  That said, the salaries work and you could always add future draft compensation if you want.  But seeing as the new PHX GM is from the Celtics, he might actually like Melo, and consider that decent compensation.  Certainly he's knows him better than any other GM (aside from Ainge).

Yeah I'm not buying the whole decent package thing.

The guy put up ok numbers on a ridiculously crappy team who didn't even really have a coach.

He's probably not even a top 20 center in the league, what kind of package do people really think they are going to get?

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
I think Gortat could absolutely net a 1st round pick in this draft. I could see Portland trading theirs if nothing they like is at #10

Then why wouldn't they have made that trade in February when they were still in playoff contention?  The salary requirement would have been identical to what they would need to be in June, and they would have had a season and a half of Gortat instead of just one.

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

I like that idea. Maybe package some non guaranteed contracts, Joel Freeland, and the #10 pick for Gortat?

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

Then why wouldn't they have made that trade in February when they were still in playoff contention?  The salary requirement would have been identical to what they would need to be in June, and they would have had a season and a half of Gortat instead of just one.

Perhaps they didn't want to send away their 1st round pick (top-12 protected) to Charlotte?

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo

I like that idea. Maybe package some non guaranteed contracts, Joel Freeland, and the #10 pick for Gortat?

Yea I think it makes a lot of sense. They can have Gortat who's still only 29 hold the fort down until they feel Leonard is ready.

Lilliard
Mathews
Batum
Aldridge
Gortat

Nice combination of youth and experience with no bad contracts to saddle them down.
*CB Miami Heat*

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

Yea I think it makes a lot of sense. They can have Gortat who's still only 29 hold the fort down until they feel Leonard is ready.

Lilliard
Mathews
Batum
Aldridge
Gortat

Nice combination of youth and experience with no bad contracts to saddle them down.

Yeah. I think Leonard could be their center of the future, but he needs a little time to develop. Gortat would provide good production at the C (rebounding, grit) as well as some veteran leadership.

Blazers would round out that starting five, and with Eric Maynor, Victor Claver, and Will Barton on cheap contracts, they could spend their available cap space on young complementary rotation players.