Author Topic: DKC League: General Commentary  (Read 771467 times)

KCattheStripe, Who, Kane3387, BleedGreen1989, ChampKind and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

Re: DKC League: General Commentary
« Reply #6555 on: July 20, 2013, 02:09:10 PM »

Online AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 376
Thanks for the praise, SO.

This is probably a good time to talk about Smoove. Very early on, air and I came to the decision that we needed another star to win this league. We believe that star power wins in the NBA, and as good as Noah and Deng are, they aren't stars.

Smoove, warts and all, is a star. He hasn't been named an all-star yet, but he's a star in the sense that he can severely (positively) impact a game in nearly every way. Last season, he averaged 17.5ppg, 8.4rpg, 4.2apg, 1.2spg, and 1.8bpg. I remember reading somewhere that he was the only player to put up those numbers in over a decade.

So, we are of the belief that he positively affects this team. Now, we come to the question of whether someone else with less warts would more positively affect the team. There were no players of Smith's caliber to be had without giving up Rose, Noah, or Butler, whom we consider untouchable. Therefore, we had to go for it; we had to take the risk.

There's a chance that Smith finds his own on a team where he doesn't need to be the top scorer, and can be more judicious in his shot selection and devote more energy to things like rebounding and defense. If this happens, then watch out for Los Bulls.

As for Avery Bradley, you're the first person I've heard that thinks he should start. I've heard from many that he's an ideal role player in Thibs' system, and we prefer him to come off the bench. I'd be curious if other people share this belief with SO, though. So if you do, please speak up.

And as for some praise for your team: I think getting Gortat was one of the more brilliant moves in this entire league thus far. The Thunder were clearly lacking a legitimate big presence, and you added one in him. As other people have said, though, that might have been the only move you needed to make. I have a crush on Ibaka and think you should have kept him, but getting Faried for much cheaper was smart in the long run.

I'm curious why you haven't pursued more frontcourt players. You seem fairly stacked at the 2 and 3, but weak at the 4 and 5 (in terms of depth). I'd like to hear your thoughts on that.
DKC Chicago Bulls: #comehomekirk
Rose-Matthews-Batum-Gibson-Noah
Wroten-Bradley-Butler-Diaw-Freeland
DKC Links: Home/Rosters - Rules/Regs - CHI Team Post

2014 Pick 2 Pacers | 2013 CB Draft Cavs: East champs!!

« Reply #6556 on: July 20, 2013, 02:18:27 PM »

Online AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
Also, in starting Bradley we'd spread the floor less than with Matthews and Butler. That duo also compensates for your aforementioned lack of spreading from Smith.

« Reply #6557 on: July 20, 2013, 02:21:56 PM »

Online KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 751
I think starting Matthews is the move for Chicago. I'll give you all time to pick your jaws off the floor.

G'head, I'll wait.

Gives Chicago monstrous size, keeps the level of their defense high and helps make up for smith's lack of a shot.

« Reply #6558 on: July 20, 2013, 02:30:34 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1182
Also, in starting Bradley we'd spread the floor less than with Matthews and Butler. That duo also compensates for your aforementioned lack of spreading from Smith.

I don't think the difference is that significant, and I think Matthews is a better shot creator: which is better suited for the 8-15 minutes a night Rose isn't on the floor.

As far as Josh Smith goes - I have a hard time evaluating him. I agree with you that he's a fringe all star. But he's also hitting that Monta Ellis territory where I can't create a good fit for him in my head (on a contender).

« Reply #6559 on: July 20, 2013, 02:32:51 PM »

Online KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

I don't think the difference is that significant, and I think Matthews is a better shot creator: which is better suited for the 8-15 minutes a night Rose isn't on the floor.

As far as Josh Smith goes - I have a hard time evaluating him. I agree with you that he's a fringe all star. But he's also hitting that Monta Ellis territory where I can't create a good fit for him in my head (on a contender).

I actually think that Smith would be an amazing fit next to Duncan or either Gasol. Guys who are threats to hit a midrange jumper but can also pass from the elbow allowing Smith room to opertate and are also strong enough defensively to make up for when Smith gamles or overplays.

« Reply #6560 on: July 20, 2013, 02:37:24 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
KC, I don't envy your position as DKC GM of the Pistons.

Because with a free agent market flooded with good PF's and C's the smart thing to do with your money was to sit on it, and not sign Josh Smith. So, Stripe (1) - Dumars (0).

Past that, I really like the Vasquez pickup. Good distributor and creator, fairly ideal situation for him. Also, Courtney Lee was a great pickup for you.

Initially, I thought you should've been more active trying to acquire a role playing 3 who was capable of shooting. But the more I thought about it, the more I came to this conclusion: I think even you could agree the Pistons are probably two years away at best from being a contender, so if that's the case, what sense is it to tie your books up with guys like Carlos Delfino.

Big, bucket style hat tip to you for the job done. Not to call anybody out, but I think there's teams that have gotten commended for not making moves and I think it's more of a case that they just haven't been in the threads.
Obviously, you're in here all day long, commenting and seeing all the movement, and you still sit on your hands cuz its best for your team.

« Reply #6561 on: July 20, 2013, 02:50:06 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 447
The only issue I have with Smith is that contending is not even a priority of his it seems like as long as his team makes the playoffs he doesn't care about the rest.
DKC SPURS
Tony Parker/Nate Robinson/Cory Joseph
Randy Foye/Jeremy Lamb
Shawn Marion/Vince Carter
Tim Duncan/JJ Hickson/J. O'Neal
Brook Lopez/Tiago Splitter

« Reply #6562 on: July 20, 2013, 03:01:19 PM »

Online AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen

Well, Matthews shot .398 from three with a TS% of .574 last year. Bradley shot .317 from three with .461 TS%. Even if Bradley turns it around this year, defenders will be laying off him for at least the first few dozen games. Also, Matthews has 3 inches on Bradley.

We agree with that assessment. Smith is a great player that isn't always a great fit. However, unlike Monta, Smith has played his entire career with one team. A change of scenery could do good things for him, even though it didn't really for Monta.

« Reply #6563 on: July 20, 2013, 03:12:39 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
but besides offensive spacing, and i stand by my original assessment think about the perimiter defense.

thats one thing smith has in his favor: this team should be able to create turnovers and capitalize on them fast.
(if avery bradleys the sg)

« Reply #6564 on: July 20, 2013, 04:04:18 PM »

Online RebusRankin

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 814
Atlanta is willing to take criticism.

« Reply #6565 on: July 20, 2013, 04:21:28 PM »

Online wdleehi

• Forums ViceRoy
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1349
  • Pre-school artwork
Same with the clippers.

Running the Clippers with Redz.

« Reply #6566 on: July 20, 2013, 04:23:01 PM »

Online BleedGreen1989

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 432
Denver refuses to entertain anything besides glowing compliments.
***DKC Denver Nuggets***
http://tinyurl.com/koegzwc

« Reply #6567 on: July 20, 2013, 04:48:14 PM »

Online KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

Denver's best player shouldn't be Chandler Parsons then.  :P

« Reply #6568 on: July 20, 2013, 04:56:49 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255

Really?  He is one of the youngest, most talented players in the league on one of the cheapest contracts.  Probably the only mistake Houston GM made in this game. 
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #6569 on: July 20, 2013, 04:59:59 PM »

Online BleedGreen1989

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 432

Really?  He is one of the youngest, most talented players in the league on one of the cheapest contracts.  Probably the only mistake Houston GM made in this game.

Yeah I'm fully expecting a monster season for Parsons playing off of Dwight

Also, Ty Bossin' Lawson can easily be argued my best player
***DKC Denver Nuggets***
http://tinyurl.com/koegzwc

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsBlog Forums.

Welcome to CelticsBlog