Author Topic: NBAdraft.net: Celtics picking Shabazz at 16  (Read 14511 times)

Re: NBAdraft.net: Celtics picking Shabazz at 16
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2013, 12:28:52 AM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
He is actually slower in the 3/4 sprint than Zeller and Plumlee

Well, he's more explosive on the court than Zeller and Plumlee.

I doubt that would be difficult to argue.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2013, 02:18:55 AM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Either Shabazz, Schroeder, or Adams will be available at #16. All 3 are potential All Stars if they receive the right coaching and situation (as it would be with Doc and the Celtics). Shabazz will be a scorer, Schroeder will be a playmaker, and Adams will be a non-injury prone version of Andrew Bogut.

« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2013, 02:25:08 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Either Shabazz, Schroeder, or Adams will be available at #16. All 3 are potential All Stars if they receive the right coaching and situation (as it would be with Doc and the Celtics). Shabazz will be a scorer, Schroeder will be a playmaker, and Adams will be a non-injury prone version of Andrew Bogut.

Potential...but unlikely. Poor man's for all three. No shame though.

Bogut? Just because Adams is foreign? Bogut without injuries is a good finisher who you can run your offense through.

Would Tyson Chandler not be a better comparison for Adams?

Add Dieng to that list and it'll be my watch list.

« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2013, 09:56:15 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
He is actually slower in the 3/4 sprint than Zeller and Plumlee

I doubt that would be difficult to argue.

Combine numbers can be junk but that aside, I don't think it'd be difficult to argue Shabazz is more explosive than Zeller or Plumlee.  Shabazz is not that explosive and Zeller and Plumlee are both really good athletes.  Plumlee has stiff hips but as far as a running and jumping, he is definitely more explosive than Shabazz.  It'd be difficult to argue otherwise.  I'd say as far as on-court explosiveness, Zeller and Shabazz are similar but Zeller is even faster.  That's not a big knock against Shabazz because Zeller is fast for any size. 

« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2013, 10:11:27 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

This is an absolute falsehood.   Combine numbers indicate that Zeller is the more explosive.

Zeller had a 35.5" no step vertical.  Shabazz had a 29.5".  Plumlee had a 30.5". 

Shabazz is not an athlete athlete by any means.   Maybe good at best.  Zeller is a fantastic athlete.   That being said athletic ability does help but is not the end all to being a great player.

I hope we get someone who falls and luck out but personally, I do not want Shabazz.

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/ucla/post/_/id/13325/scrutiny-doesnt-faze-shabazz-muhammad

Seems petty and immature to me.  Not at all Celtic in nature.

« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2013, 11:50:42 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71

This is an absolute falsehood.   Combine numbers indicate that Zeller is the more explosive.

Zeller had a 35.5" no step vertical.  Shabazz had a 29.5".  Plumlee had a 30.5". 

Shabazz is not an athlete athlete by any means.   Maybe good at best.  Zeller is a fantastic athlete.   That being said athletic ability does help but is not the end all to being a great player.

I hope we get someone who falls and luck out but personally, I do not want Shabazz.

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/ucla/post/_/id/13325/scrutiny-doesnt-faze-shabazz-muhammad

Seems petty and immature to me.  Not at all Celtic in nature.

Combine numbers don't mean very much.  They say that both Zeller and Plumlee are better athletes than Blake Griffin who might be one of the top five greatest athletes ever in the NBA.  You have to go by what's on the court and even by that standard, I'd still say Zeller and Plumlee are more athletic than Shabazz.   

« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2013, 07:50:43 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Combine numbers don't mean very much.

They mean a lot.  People get drafted on their potential.   Don't decieve yourself.  These numbers can make you rise or fall in the draft.  But they are very important and not just in the NBA.   Guys in the NFL are selected on their 40 time.   If they were not important why does every GM go there? 

I said they are not the end all.   just being a great athlete does nothing if you don't couple it with an aggressive nature to attack the hole like Blake G. 

Shooting is easier to improve on than athletic ability to a large extent you either have it or you do not.   You can make minute changes to your muscle fibers whether fast twitch or slow but nothing like you can bulking up or improving your skills.   You can't teach athletic ability.  It can be improved some with training but if the base is not there, then you are not going to possess it.

« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2013, 08:44:43 AM »

Offline lantinm

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 38
Shabazz is the best player in this draft, imho.  In a few other trade threads, I proposed dealing Bradley and the 16th so that we can move up and take him.  If he falls to us at 16, then that would be an absolute gift (much like Sully was last year). He doesn't have the handle or passing ability like Harden does, but their games are very similar. 

I also love that Shabazz can score in the post and has all kinds of shots in his repertoire.  He also has a picturesque stroke and gets his shot off quickly.  The best part about his game though, is that he's an absolute assassin.  To get two pre-season #1 overall picks in back-to-back years would be pretty cool.

« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2013, 09:36:13 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I got the feeling Shabazz is falling down in the mock drafts not because of physical issues, ala Jarred Sullinger, but because of mental issues, ala Royce White.

Tourrette's can lead to simultaneous other problems including depression and ADHD and OCD and other mental issues that could cause problems. The C's have seen what those effects can have on a player first hand having had Delonte West here. Everyone knows what happened to White and the Rockets. His combine measurements were not good but possibly his interviews and mental health is what has him dropping like a rock in this draft speculation.