Author Topic: NBAdraft.net: Celtics picking Shabazz at 16  (Read 14564 times)

Re: NBAdraft.net: Celtics picking Shabazz at 16
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2013, 11:08:50 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I'm all for optimism, but again, this nbadraft mock seems bogus.

In order for Shabazz to fall to 16, the following players all have to be taken before him (setting aside the top 8 ) :

Bennett
Saric
Olynyk
Schroeder
Caldwell-Pope
Carter-Williams
Adams

Do we really think these guys will end up being higher on GM's boards than Shabazz? With the way scoring seems to be valued by GMs?

I mean, the knocks on him are (a) attitude and (b) age. But as this piece points out, his numbers even for his age project very well:

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/5/18/4342846/shabazz-muhammad-nba-draft-2013-harrison-barnes

So, all we are left with are the attitude issues, which seem more about being a bad teammate than about being uncompetitive or lazy - to me the second is a much worse type of problem. And, NBA GMs often feel like they can fix attitude problems.

I have no strong opinion about how good he will end up being, but I feel pretty confident thinking he won't slip to us.

If I had to bet, I'd guess he ends up going in the 5-10 range.

I absolutely agree with you. I think it's a slim chance he falls to 16. I could see a number of teams grabbing him in the late lottery.

In what way?  Shabazz was at his best moving around screens and shooting off the catch.  Pierce can do that but it's not a strength.  Shabazz was inefficient at every other part of the game, especially off the dribble.  He also favors one-handed push shots.  When Pierce was Shabazz's age, he could blow by his man and for his entire career, I can't remember many one-handed push shots at all.

That's just on offense.  Pierce was a very good defender with excellent lateral quickness.  Shabazz was a weak defender at UCLA. 

I guess what I meant by comparing him to Pierce was more from a physical stand point and those types of atrributes and the fact that he is falling down boards.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2013, 11:10:23 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Shabazz would certainly have about the highest upside of anyone who could be available at #16.  Assuming Danny didn't make a promise to Giannis (which I actually hope he did), I'd be quite pleased if we got Shabazz.  Sure, he might flame out, but we're talking the #16 pick in a weak draft.  He's easily worth the risk at that point.  In January, it was between him and Noel for #1 overall.  Then he had an immature moment because he didn't get to take the last shot (although he recovered his composure by the time post-game interviews happened), and then it was found out that he was a year older, which was a major red flag, but of his parent's creation, and not his.  So he should have been a sophomore -- a lot of the top 10 will be at least that old.  #16 would be a steal.

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2013, 11:11:52 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71

In order for Shabazz to fall to 16, the following players all have to be taken before him (setting aside the top 8 ) :

Bennett
Saric
Olynyk
Schroeder
Caldwell-Pope
Carter-Williams
Adams

Do we really think these guys will end up being higher on GM's boards than Shabazz? With the way scoring seems to be valued by GMs?

I mean, the knocks on him are (a) attitude and (b) age. But as this piece points out, his numbers even for his age project very well:

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/5/18/4342846/shabazz-muhammad-nba-draft-2013-harrison-barnes

So, all we are left with are the attitude issues, which seem more about being a bad teammate than about being uncompetitive or lazy - to me the second is a much worse type of problem. And, NBA GMs often feel like they can fix attitude problems.

I have no strong opinion about how good he will end up being, but I feel pretty confident thinking he won't slip to us.

I absolutely agree with you. I think it's a slim chance he falls to 16. I could see a number of teams grabbing him in the late lottery.

In what way?  Shabazz was at his best moving around screens and shooting off the catch.  Pierce can do that but it's not a strength.  Shabazz was inefficient at every other part of the game, especially off the dribble.  He also favors one-handed push shots.  When Pierce was Shabazz's age, he could blow by his man and for his entire career, I can't remember many one-handed push shots at all.

That's just on offense.  Pierce was a very good defender with excellent lateral quickness.  Shabazz was a weak defender at UCLA. 

I guess what I meant by comparing him to Pierce was more from a physical stand point and those types of atrributes and the fact that he is falling down boards.

But even from a physical standpoint I don't think they're a like.  From a superficial glance, one wouldn't figure Pierce to have a quick first step or excellent lateral agility but he did.  He had very good phone booth athleticism.  Shabazz rates much lower in those categories.

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2013, 11:21:26 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Bennett
Saric
Olynyk
Schroeder
Caldwell-Pope
Carter-Williams
Adams

From that list Bennett is the only lock to go ahead of Shabazz. I think he probably goes ahead of all the others
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2013, 01:24:25 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
Even after the draft lottery they still have us taking shabazz

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2013, 01:40:59 AM »

Offline jjceltics99

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
  • BLEED GREEN
I believe Shabazz will fall to us in the draft just like Sully and Bradley. Hopefully the trend continues.

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2013, 01:49:54 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Bennett
Saric
Olynyk
Schroeder
Caldwell-Pope
Carter-Williams
Adams

But even from a physical standpoint I don't think they're a like.  From a superficial glance, one wouldn't figure Pierce to have a quick first step or excellent lateral agility but he did.  He had very good phone booth athleticism.  Shabazz rates much lower in those categories.

TP for "phone booth athleticism."

Also, the dude seems talented (esp. for the post-lotto in a weak draft), and at that point you gamble that nebulous character issues are easier to correct than talent, especially when you're not an organization known for disarray and disfunction... right?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2013, 03:14:08 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
As much as I can't stand the lone ranger antics of Shabbazz, if he drops to us there is zero chance of us passing him up.

I hate gambling on guys like this in the lottery but if he falls to 16 Danny is all over him. We are the perfect place for a kid like this. Our staff, our coach, our veterans. Couldn't be a better place to help this talented punk pull his head out of his ass.

Gotta roll the dice.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2013, 06:22:02 AM »

Offline relja

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
  • heart, hustle and muscle
Wow, I didn't know he had Tourette's.
When you lose, the easy part is to see who gives up. Giving up is very simple. You basically take your stuff and walk away. To continue to work and to continue to compete is one of the most difficult things, especially when you really don't have anything - KG

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2013, 07:14:07 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
The only problem I have for this kid is he plays hero ball. I guess he is an upgrade over Jordan Crawford.

« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2013, 08:12:00 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Wow, I didn't know he had Tourette's.

I think a lot of people don't, nor do they realize that the OCD, ADD and depression that all have a high co-morbidity with Tourette's and which afflict Shabazz to varying degrees, also greatly color people's perspectives on him, particularly about his "attitude."

These conditions can all be managed by proper consistent medication.

Let's hope that other GMs are spooked by this and stay away. (Maybe Royce White's situation will help us.)

« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2013, 12:24:48 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Tourettes definitely makes GM's turn their head away. Its because they don't it'll be a good turnabout for their organization. Messed as is I see the Celtics taking them if Shabazz is available. We love taking on the crazy guys lol.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2013, 12:28:35 PM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Take away love and the earth is a tomb. ~ Browning
Please no Shabazz...YUCK

Dieng would be MUCH better

Nab Rodney Williams out of the second round somehow - he's the best athlete in the draft...great for defense and running the floor
Everyone wants truth on his side, not everyone wants to be on the side of truth.

« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2013, 12:47:23 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Chad Ford: Well it looks like Danny Ainge has gotten lucky again. Another highly touted prospect has fallen into his laps.

Andy Katz: Yea Chad, I understand the concerns but I find it hard to believe 15 teams have passed on Shabazz.

David Stern: With the 16th pick in the 2013 NBA draft, the Boston Celtics select Kelly Olnyk.

This, is my nightmare.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2013, 12:51:12 PM »

Offline jjceltics99

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
  • BLEED GREEN
Chad Ford: Well it looks like Danny Ainge has gotten lucky again. Another highly touted prospect has fallen into his laps.

Andy Katz: Yea Chad, I understand the concerns but I find it hard to believe 15 teams have passed on Shabazz.

David Stern: With the 16th pick in the 2013 NBA draft, the Boston Celtics select Kelly Olnyk.

This, is my nightmare.
This is the guy I would be upset if they drafted. Of course he has skill but his rebounding numbers are not where they should be. Considering the conference Gonzaga was in. DONT DO IT DANNY!