Author Topic: Idea: Boozer, Bargnani, Celtics pupu platter  (Read 3373 times)

Idea: Boozer, Bargnani, Celtics pupu platter
« on: May 21, 2013, 02:15:56 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
This thread assumes Pierce and KG return.

Reportedly, the Bulls are so desperate to get out from under the contract of Carlos Boozer that they had a standing offer for the Raptors to trade Boozer for Bargnani.  (The salary cap math suggests that Landry Fields would be involved in that trade, as well.)  Toronto allegedly balked because they didn't want to take on a contract that big.

In step the Celtics.  The trade would have to be made after the ETO deadline for Bargnani passes, which is June 29.

Chicago Bulls
Out: Carlos Boozer ($15.3m/$16.8m)
In: Andrea Bargnani ($11.5m), Courtney Lee ($5.225m/$5,45m/$5,675m)

Toronto Raptors
Out: Andrea Bargnani ($11.5m)
In: Brandon Bass ($6.45m/$6.9m), DJ White ($1m unguaranteed), also a trade exception of about $4m

Boston Celtics
Out: Brandon Bass ($6.45m/$6.9m), Courtney Lee ($5.225m/$5,45m/$5,675m), DJ White ($1m unguaranteed)
In: Carlos Boozer ($15.3m/$16.8m)

The Bulls get more outside shooting to help their offense and get a replacement for Rip Hamilton, who they are expected to waive.  They get a slight uptick on next year's salary but get out from under Boozer's final year.  Maybe they would like to include Marquis Teague if someone will send a first-round pick their way.

The Raptors get what I would consider an upgrade on Bargnani while saving money for next season.

The Celtics get an upgrade in post presence and rebounding. By my math, I think they only need to send out one of their unguaranteed contracts, but Terrence Williams or Shavlik Randolph can be added or substituted.

I could see this being a framework for a trade that gets talked about but ends up dying because each team wants the other team to add a draft pick.  If you like this trade, would you be willing to add draft considerations (not necessarily giving away a pick....you can swap 2013 first-round picks with the Bulls to move down four spots to #20)?  If you don't like this trade, what sort of picks would have to be added to make you agree?

What if the Raptors want to also shed the contract of Landry Fields and propose adding Jason Terry to the deal?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Re: Idea: Boozer, Bargnani, Celtics pupu platter
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 02:24:18 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Interesting idea.

Chicago Bulls
In: Andrea Bargnani ($11.5m), Courtney Lee ($5.225m/$5,45m/$5,675m)

Toronto Raptors
In: Brandon Bass ($6.45m/$6.9m), DJ White ($1m unguaranteed), also a trade exception of about $4m

Boston Celtics
Out: Brandon Bass ($6.45m/$6.9m), Courtney Lee ($5.225m/$5,45m/$5,675m), DJ White ($1m unguaranteed)

Chicago: would they prefer to keep it a straight swap of Bargs for Boozer, lowering payroll in the process?

Toronto: does cartwheels. I wonder if the other two trade partners would prefer to get a little more out of them.

Boston: what are the implications for the Celtics payroll (the apron) after this deal?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 02:35:24 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I'd rather keep Lee and just acquire Bargnani.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 02:36:58 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Not sure how I feel. Boston is essentially trading Bass/Lee for Boozer. Not bad but I think I am higher on Lee than most so I would hesitate
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 03:02:20 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Chicago: would they prefer to keep it a straight swap of Bargs for Boozer, lowering payroll in the process?

Looking at the math, I don't think they can do a straight swap.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 03:05:13 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

There could be other pieces in the trade, I just have no idea why Toronto would do that.  They don't want Boozer.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 03:06:07 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Not sure how I feel. Boston is essentially trading Bass/Lee for Boozer. Not bad but I think I am higher on Lee than most so I would hesitate

If you thought that Doc was never going to play Lee as much as you want him to due to locker room reasons, do you think that the Celtics can get more value from trading Lee?

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 03:15:48 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

There could be other pieces in the trade, I just have no idea why Toronto would do that.  They don't want Boozer.

The math suggests Landry Fields would have to be the other piece.  That would be Toronto trading two bad contracts for one bad contract for the price of decreased roster flexibility.  Toronto seems interested enough to talk about a trade, but not interested enough to pull the trigger.  The Raptors seemed interested in moving Bargs, but his season-ending injury put a stop to a trade deadline deal.  The question is whether a team would be willing to take a chance on Bargnani before he demonstrates better health.

Bargnani would be an expiring deal, so he sounds like someone that a team might want to take a flier on to see if a change of pace benefits him, if they can dump a bad contract in the process and not give up any picks.

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 03:18:05 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

Sorry, I could have been more clear: still a three-team deal, but with only Bargs (in) for Boozer (out).

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 03:23:31 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

If you thought that Doc was never going to play Lee as much as you want him to due to locker room reasons, do you think that the Celtics can get more value from trading Lee?

If I knew Doc simply wasn't going to play him? I think it's decent value. Maybe a team like MIN would give a future protected 1st for him, maybe not.

I don't think Boozer is such a bad addition. With Gibson's 8mill extension kicking in next year, I bet they will do everything they can to unload Boozer from the books. Obviously, I really want that Charlotte pick lol

Any feasible trade you can think of where KG/Lee goes to Chicago and Boston gets Boozer/Charlotte pick?
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 05:31:47 PM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
I'd rather keep Lee and just acquire Bargnani.

Ugh, why? Bargnani at this point is only valuable as an expiring contract. He has no serviceable basketball skills (he is statistically the worst rebounding big man in the history of the league - seriously, I am not making this up; his defense is infamously bad, on David Lee levels; and his shooting percentages barely crack the league average), even ignoring his uncertain health.

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 05:51:12 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Sorry, I could have been more clear: still a three-team deal, but with only Bargs (in) for Boozer (out).

So, replace Lee with Shavlik Randolph and T-Will?  The problem is the Celtics needs to ship out more salary.  Crawford isn't enough, so you would also have to add Melo to the deal.

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 05:53:38 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
Sign me up for this. I'm a big fan of Boozer, he has a nice offensive touch and he is passionate.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 05:54:08 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Any feasible trade you can think of where KG/Lee goes to Chicago and Boston gets Boozer/Charlotte pick?

I can't imagine Chicago giving up that Charlotte pick without receiving a better chance at finding a star to pair long-term with Derrick Rose.  If I were Ainge, I would ask for it while believing there is no way I would get it and using it so my serious offer looks less outrageous.

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 06:23:47 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

So, replace Lee with Shavlik Randolph and T-Will?  The problem is the Celtics needs to ship out more salary.  Crawford isn't enough, so you would also have to add Melo to the deal.

I think this works, using current year salaries:

Chicago Bulls
In: Andrea Bargnani ($11.5m)

Toronto Raptors
In: Brandon Bass ($6.45m/$6.9m), Courtney Lee ($5.225m/$5,45m/$5,675m), DJ White ($1m unguaranteed)

Boston Celtics

Problem is Toronto needs a follow up deal to move Lee, Fields, and/or Kleiza for roster balance, since DeRozan and Gay are heavy rotation wings.