Author Topic: Supposed rumor between NO and BOS  (Read 23058 times)

Re: Supposed rumor between NO and BOS
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2013, 01:15:32 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
If this trade goes down and the captain gets buyed out from NO. Could he return to celtics?

Yep

Not necessarily.

Even if, through careful timing it skirted through the loopholes that would allow this, the NBA reserves their right to enforce against circumvention.   And the 'normal' rules don't allow a traded player to be cut and then re-signed by the original team within a year.

I would not count on that being allowed.  It might.  But it might not.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2013, 01:16:50 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I'm stealing a point made by Zack Lowe, but it'd be interesting to see how Rondo would adapt/develop playing next to another capable creator and facilitator like Gordon.

Rondo's always had a lot of pressure to create, and I'm wondering how he'd adapt if some of that load was taken off his shoulders. Could he adapt, and play a role similar to Tony Parker on the Spurs or does he just always need the ball in his hands to be an effective offensive contributor? A healthy Eric Gordon would certainly let you see that.
He did fine with Pierce/KG as the creators years 2007-2010.

Now its not a certainty he can adjust his game back, but he has in the past.

He did "fine" back then but wasn't the dominant player he is now.  I think Lowe and StartOrien are wondering if he'd still be effective on a dominant level that he is now.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2013, 01:19:57 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
If this trade goes down and the captain gets buyed out from NO. Could he return to celtics?

Yep

Not necessarily.

Even if, through careful timing it skirted through the loopholes that would allow this, the NBA reserves their right to enforce against circumvention.   And the 'normal' rules don't allow a traded player to be cut and then re-signed by the original team within a year.

I would not count on that being allowed.  It might.  But it might not.

Interesting. Do you have a link? It makes sense.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2013, 01:21:57 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
"whichever comes first"

-> "July 1st following end of contract" sounds like the first time July 1st comes up after he's waived

am I wrong on this?
It depends on whether or not his contract is considered ended June 30th 2013 if he's waived or its original end date, June 30th 2014.

He's still paid 5 million dollars for 2013-2014 even if waived. But that doesn't mean the contract hasn't "ended". Hmm I wonder if he defines end of a contract in his FAQ.

I think this kind of 'vagueness' is also addressed in the Coon's faq:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q103

"The CBA also has a general prohibition on circumvention which states that the rules exist to preserve the benefit derived by the teams and players, and that nobody shall do anything to defeat or circumvent the intent of the agreement. The league can use this prohibition to disallow a trade that they feel circumvents the CBA, even though that trade is not specifically prohibited by the agreement."

In other words - the CBA doesn't pretend to have every possible scenario locked down in detail and they reserve the right to enforce the spirit of the constraints.

This tells me that it (trading Pierce to a team that cuts him and then resigning him back to the Celtics) probably would not be allowed.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2013, 01:22:26 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Yeah, I wouldn't really be a fan of this deal either.

Like others have said, Gordon has been injured way too much and doesn't really make the Celtics better, I don't think.

« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2013, 01:22:35 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
"whichever comes first"

-> "July 1st following end of contract" sounds like the first time July 1st comes up after he's waived

am I wrong on this?
It depends on whether or not his contract is considered ended June 30th 2013 if he's waived or its original end date, June 30th 2014.

He's still paid 5 million dollars for 2013-2014 even if waived. But that doesn't mean the contract hasn't "ended". Hmm I wonder if he defines end of a contract in his FAQ.

My understanding is that because Pierce's deal is partially guaranteed for 2014, that that year is the completion of his contract.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2013, 01:23:35 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'm stealing a point made by Zack Lowe, but it'd be interesting to see how Rondo would adapt/develop playing next to another capable creator and facilitator like Gordon.

Rondo's always had a lot of pressure to create, and I'm wondering how he'd adapt if some of that load was taken off his shoulders. Could he adapt, and play a role similar to Tony Parker on the Spurs or does he just always need the ball in his hands to be an effective offensive contributor? A healthy Eric Gordon would certainly let you see that.
He did fine with Pierce/KG as the creators years 2007-2010.

Now its not a certainty he can adjust his game back, but he has in the past.

He did "fine" back then but wasn't the dominant player he is now.  I think Lowe and StartOrien are wondering if he'd still be effective on a dominant level that he is now.
He was an all-star in 2009-2010 and had numbers comparable to his past 3 years, basically 2 assists less.

He's done it before. Should be able to do it again, hopefully physically he can and will do so.

« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2013, 01:23:54 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Gordon just had another surgery:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9261505/pelicans-eric-gordon-arthroscopic-ankle-surgery

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2013-05-15/eric-gordon-injury-update-bone-spurs-ankle-surgery-new-orleans-pelicans

Here are some discussions of his medical issues from this last year:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8584181/eric-gordon-new-orleans-hornets-picks-rehab-not-surgery-report-says

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/2013/02/18/an-outline-of-eric-gordons-injury-history/

Nice finds. TP.

That last link is particularly informative, I think.

I wonder to what degree Gordon's missed games during the past two seasons correspond to NO's strategic decision to tank.

Yes. The other question to me is whether his recurring problems are a signal that he's not diligent about rehab. That would be bad.

« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2013, 01:24:03 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
"whichever comes first"

am I wrong on this?

My understanding is that because Pierce's deal is partially guaranteed for 2014, that that year is the completion of his contract.
That'd make the most sense to me.

« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2013, 01:43:46 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
This would be a tough trade to swallow. I have come to grips with the fact that Paul is likely done in Boston. The thing that hurts is losing Avery, I love what he brings defensively. But the truth is that Gordon has the talent to be a top 5 SG in the league and is only 24. The injury history and contract scare me but to get back to the top quickly chances will have to be taken.

Assuming that this deal would be followed by KG being traded the post PP + KG celtics would have a foundation built on.

Rondo, Gordon, and Green

Rondo when healthy is a top 5 PG
Gordon when healthy is a top 5 SG
Green should be a top 15 SF

The key would then become Sullys development and finding a defensive anchor. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2013, 01:46:05 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
Wouldn't this be ideal?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=khcxnz6

Lee to Memphis for part of the Rudy gay trade exception.
Terry and Bradley to NO. Terry still only costs five mill like pierce.
Gordon to Boston.

Maybe we throw in a future pick for taking back terry over pierce.

« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2013, 01:47:53 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Of all the Pierce rumors and ideas I have heard, this is the one the bothers me the least.

In this trade, there is at least a piece that could become one of the stars the Celtics need to rebuild.

« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2013, 01:49:44 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
This would be a tough trade to swallow. I have come to grips with the fact that Paul is likely done in Boston. The thing that hurts is losing Avery, I love what he brings defensively. But the truth is that Gordon has the talent to be a top 5 SG in the league and is only 24. The injury history and contract scare me but to get back to the top quickly chances will have to be taken.

Assuming that this deal would be followed by KG being traded the post PP + KG celtics would have a foundation built on.

Rondo, Gordon, and Green

Rondo when healthy is a top 5 PG
Gordon when healthy is a top 5 SG
Green should be a top 15 SF

The key would then become Sullys development and finding a defensive anchor.

Kg, assuming he doesn't retire, would likely go to the clippers. If you still get Jordan and Bledsoe then you have options with Bledsoe or rondo to get another asset(s).

« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2013, 01:52:58 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
Of all the Pierce rumors and ideas I have heard, this is the one the bothers me the least.

In this trade, there is at least a piece that could become one of the stars the Celtics need to rebuild.

Agreed. Gordon's skill set and ability to play off ball would compliment rondo well similar to how ray Allen did.

« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2013, 02:01:33 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I agree.  It's incredibly risky given Gordon's injury history, but it is at least a legit try to reload on the fly.