Author Topic: Supposed rumor between NO and BOS  (Read 22988 times)

Re: Supposed rumor between NO and BOS
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2013, 12:46:32 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
From Larry Coon's FAQ:
•A team cannot reacquire a player they traded away during that season (a season being July 1 - June 30). If he is waived by his new team, then he cannot re-sign with his original team until the one-year anniversary of the trade, or until the July 1 following the end of his contract, whichever comes first. However, if a team trades a player's draft rights, they can reacquire the player during the same season.

that makes it sound like we could trade Pierce before June 30, someone could waive him, and we could re-sign him as a free agent after July 1st

am I reading that wrong?
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2013, 12:49:34 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
From Larry Coon's FAQ:
•A team cannot reacquire a player they traded away during that season (a season being July 1 - June 30). If he is waived by his new team, then he cannot re-sign with his original team until the one-year anniversary of the trade, or until the July 1 following the end of his contract, whichever comes first. However, if a team trades a player's draft rights, they can reacquire the player during the same season.

that makes it sound like we could trade Pierce before June 30, someone could waive him, and we could re-sign him as a free agent after July 1st

am I reading that wrong?

I think the highlighted parts say no.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2013, 12:51:46 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
"whichever comes first"

-> "July 1st following end of contract" sounds like the first time July 1st comes up after he's waived

am I wrong on this?
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2013, 12:53:06 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Can Eric Gordon stay healthy though? The guy has shown that he can be a bright star in the NBA. He plays really good defense too so he's not a big setback for Bradley defensively.

But boy did this kid is owed 13 million dollars. If he can't be on the floor, that's a lot of money to eat the cap.

I'd love him here if he stays healthy.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2013, 12:53:38 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
"whichever comes first"

-> "July 1st following end of contract" sounds like the first time July 1st comes up after he's waived

am I wrong on this?
It depends on whether or not his contract is considered ended June 30th 2013 if he's waived or its original end date, June 30th 2014.

He's still paid 5 million dollars for 2013-2014 even if waived. But that doesn't mean the contract hasn't "ended". Hmm I wonder if he defines end of a contract in his FAQ.

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2013, 12:55:47 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
If we're going to trade Pierce, the first place I hope Ainge looks is to teams in tonight's lottery that wind up outside the top 3.  If Cleveland gets the 4th or 5th pick or Sacramento gets the 7th or 8th, I think it would make a lot more sense to pick up a leader like Pierce than yet another young, untested draft pick.

Mike

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2013, 12:59:41 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
If we're going to trade Pierce, the first place I hope Ainge looks is to teams in tonight's lottery that wind up outside the top 3.  If Cleveland gets the 4th or 5th pick or Sacramento gets the 7th or 8th, I think it would make a lot more sense to pick up a leader like Pierce than yet another young, untested draft pick.

Mike
I doubt Ainge does that to Pierce, and if he did I think Pierce would heavily consider retiring or at least holding out.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2013, 12:59:56 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
From Larry Coon's FAQ:

My understanding is that this is actually not applicable, because Pierce will never hit waivers. He won't be waived.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2013, 01:01:46 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Pierce absolutely will hit waivers, waiving him is how you don't pay him his full salary.

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2013, 01:02:44 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

Mike
I doubt Ainge does that to Pierce, and if he did I think Pierce would heavily consider retiring or at least holding out.

if a lottery team took on pp , it would be to unload a big contract and get Bradley still on his rookie deal. Then they waive PP , saving 10 mil in salary.

c's get a pick in the 5-10 range this year.

something like

Bos: sends PP and Bradley, Fab Melo

Sac sends: Salmons, Hayes and lottery pick
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 01:08:05 PM by rondohondo »

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2013, 01:05:47 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Not like Bradley's injury history is great.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2013, 01:08:31 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Pierce absolutely will hit waivers, waiving him is how you don't pay him his full salary.

You're right and I'm wrong. I don't know where i got that thought in my little head.

If the Celtics waive Pierce before june 30th, they can resign him. If they trade him and he is waived before june 30th, they cannot.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2013, 01:13:50 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2013, 01:14:26 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

You're right and I'm wrong. I don't know where i got that thought in my little head.

If the Celtics waive Pierce before june 30th, they can resign him. If they trade him and he is waived before june 30th, they cannot.

You sure about the second part? Link?

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14