Poll

Which option do you prefer for a  Boston Celtics rebuild ?

Trade Rondo for Nerlens Noel in the 2013 draft, complete rebuild aiming for Wiggins or Parker in 2014 and major overhaul draft
3 (42.9%)
Trade KG or Pierce for DeAndre Jordan + Bledsloe, then package J.Green, D.Jordan & Avery Bradley for Demarcus Cousins, whilst keeping Rondo.
4 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: My rebuilding dream for the Celtics starting this offseason. You pick which one.  (Read 1451 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
This is my crazy blow it up/rebuild idea. Take it for what it's worth and remember that there is a bit of dreaming going on here, but there is perhaps a tiny chance this all fell into place...the main reason I prefer the blow it up scenario is because there just aren't any decent free agents for us to go after until at least 2105, and keeping the vets around for one more run just doesn't give us any assets when we get knocked out of the first or second round again. As much as i love PP and KG I'd rather go into the 2015 and 2016 free agent classes with draft picks and assets...none of which we'll have if KG and Pierce hang around for one more ride. If we want to be a true contender we need a solid core that we can add the perfect fitting pieces to with free agency. Because of the new salary cap regulations, you MUST consistently develop young talent to be able to afford a championship team. I also don't feel that Avery Bradley or Jeff Green will ever be good enough to be starters on a championship team, so using them as assets is going to be huge for us within the next 2 years.

Anyway, feel free to flame but as KG says...anything is....hehe

Obviously to be a legit contender within 5 years, more than a few things have to fall into place...and the KG part of the following doesn't have to happen but it would be nice to get another pick before he retires and send him to a team that could crush the Heat.

1) KG would waive his no trade clause to go to Chicago.( legit contender, Thibs is coach). But even if he just retires we can still pull this off, we just have one less pick/asset.
2) Whoever wins Noel in the upcoming draft would have to agree to trade him for Rondo
3) We have to be lucky enough to draft Wiggins or Parker in the super draft -or a top five pick
4) Clippers would have to want Pierce, which I think they would for Bledsloe if it means dumping Jordan's nightmare contract.
5) if Clippers fall through on Pierce trade, Dallas is a great option and we should be able to pry a pick + young assets for taking back Shaun Marion once they fail to land CP3 or Dwight Howard.
6) if the Rondo for Noel trade was not on the table, then we could eventually trade DeAndre Jordan, Avery Bradley and Jeff Green to Sacramento for DeMarcus Cousins....I actually think this is what Danny wanted to do with Pierce and KG and is going to harass KG into agreeing to do this deal.

Regarding the Rondo for Noel trade, I personally don't think that Noel is worth Rondo, to me he is a poor man's Serge Ibaka... he has basically Zero offensive game and at this stage I'm not really sure what the difference between Noel and DeAndre Jordan is, their games are so similar. But if we can get a potentially game changing defensive big man and teach him to hit the 15 foot jumpshot and some post moves, this would be perfect to give Sully room to bang down in the low post ala Zac Randolph where he can score or use his elite passing ability to find three point shooters. (same height, similar weight, similar reach, similar knack for offensive rebounding and finishing around the rim in traffic, both excellent passers). I think Sullinger is a future all star and have thought so since college, so ignore my bias if you don't agree.

Danny will float ideas moving Rondo like this to most of the lottery bound teams but much of it will end up on whether they have a potential deal for KG and Paul Pierce in waiting. This is because they won't get anything in return for our two veterans once the rest of the league sees that we are starting the rebuilding process.
Now as I said I am not a fan of dealing Rondo for Noel because I feel Rondo is already a perennial all-star, but if we are going to start the rebuilding process and go after either Wiggins or Jabari Parker we must start now and moving rondo for Noel and a guard like Kemba Walker makes more sense. ( I personally like Anthony Bennett more than Noel but we already have Sully).

The other option, which means we almost definitely lose out on Wiggins or Parker, is to keep Rondo whilst getting Bledsloe and Jordan for Pierce, then eventually package Jeff Green, Avery Bradley and DeAndre Jordan to the Kings for DeMarcus Cousins. Going down this route means we'd draft Glen Rice Jr whilst keeping Sully, Rondo and going after Cousins. It could even be done this offseason... ie:

BOSTON sends to CLIPPERS: Paul Pierce + Fab Melo
CLIPPERS SEND to SACRAMENTO: DeAndre Jordan
BOSTON SENDS TO SACRAMENTO: Jeff Green, Avery Bradley
SACRAMANETO SENDS TO BOSTON: DeMarcus Cousins
CLIPPERS SEND TO BOSTON: Lamar Odom + Matt Barnes

Fillers are needed for salary but it can work.

In a perfect world we could move Pierce to the clippers for DeAndre Jordan and Eric Bledsoe and we could move KG + Terry to Chicago for Boozer and their lottery pick from Charlotte.
This would leave us with a roster loaded With young talent and ridiculous upside for future trades, not to mention the cap space once Boozer's deal finishes. We'd Be looking at a starting lineup for a tank year in 2014 while Noel recovers from his knee injury of something like...

Eric Bledsloe
Avery Bradley
Jeff Green
Sully
DeAndre Jordan

With

Courtney Lee
Brandon Bass
Boozer
Kemba Walker
+Nerlens Noel
+bobcats(hornets) 2015/16 protected pick
+ boatloads of cap room coming up...

I'm assuming the above team doesn't make the playoffs, but it's possible they do with everyone tanking for 2014. So we can move Jordan to whomever ends up giving us Noel and start Melo or our 16th pick this year if its a big man...I'd just keep him as the starting center and bring Boozer off the bench.
Remember we want to be very bad for a year so we keep Boozer on the bench or trade him at the deadline as an expiring (not sure this can be done so soon after he's traded but either way he can ride the bench like Richard Jefferson).

After one season the value of most of the above players goes up playing under Doc, or at least certainly doesnt go down...and Boozer's contract is over, thus making way for Sully to join the starting lineup and Noel returning as well.
With Noel and Sully joining the starting lineup we can then trade DeAndre Jordan for a top 20 pick or a solid wing player/ ball handler....or begin clearing more cap room (That's 30 million off the books without boozer and without Jordan).
We can use our Charlotte pick because Rondo will get the Hornets enough wins to scrape the edge of the playoffs or probably at least out of the top 10 picks and we can use this pick to acquire a shooting guard or point guard depending how Eric Bledsoe turns out in a Celtics uniform with Doc as his coach.
If we haven't already moved bass and lee, they become free agents too so there's another approx 12 million off the books.
Depending on how Green is playing we can sell high or find a taker for his great contract. He'll either be a 12 -15 million dollar player being paid 9 million or a 9 million dollar player being paid 9 million...either way we won't have trouble moving his deal for a lottery pick or an impact player/potential stud. Similarly with Avery Bradley, we can move him for a top 15 -20 pick or higher if he's shooting/ finishing well by 2015.

With two absolutely loaded free-agent classes coming into 2015 and 2016 we can use our picks however we want and we will also have a tonne of cap room to sign two major free agents as well as hopefully having landed Jabari Parker or Andrew Wiggins. Even if we don't land Wiggins or Parker, a top 5 - 8 pick in the 2014 draft is worth it's weight in gold and is still plenty to land an all star caliber player.

With a lineup of something like this in 2015 going into 2016...

PG Eric Bledsloe
SG Free agent shooting guard e.g. Klay Thompson
SF Jabari Parker/Andrew Wiggins/2014 Lottery pick
PF Jared Sullinger or Free agent big e.g. Marc Gasol, DeMarcus Cousins.
C Nerlens Noel.

+ the Bulls late lottery pick
+ whatever we get for Jeff Green
+ Whatever we get for Avery Bradley
+ whatever we get for DeAndre Jordan

Even if we don't end up getting Wiggins or Parker and just pulled off the Pierce trade, after moving Jordan, Green and Bradley we'd still have a core of

Rondo
Bledsloe
Glen Rice Jr (or other SF draft pick)
Sully
Cousins

Young, athletic and most importantly lots of value to trade and get better with the 2015/16 free agents classes coming up. Also not good enough to make the playoffs but entertaining and athletic enough to sell season tickets. Probably finishing in the bottom 6-8 teams or worse if there's an injury or two, giving us a great shot at an all star or even a franchise superstar if we get lucky enough.
Demarcus Cousins will be a restricted free agent in 2014, and one has to wonder if the Kings will want to commit a max contract to him. Would a package of Green, Bradley and Deandre Jordan pry him from Sacramento? I think it would have a very good shot at doing so.

Furthermore, with studs like Marc Gasol and Klay Thompson coming in to free agency we'd have plenty of room and the coach and roster to attract the biggest fish to Boston.
Obviously we'd have to get lucky in the draft like OKC has done but Danny and Doc are masters at building value in talented young guys. By the time free agency comes around for Jeff Green he's either an all star or we can trade him because we've developed another solid small forward  (hopefully a game changer like Cousins)

I can only dare to dream but this is my Celtics dream.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
My god that is a lot of text, and not the easiliest to follow. Lotta ideas there. TP for the effort.

I would say your dreams are good ones, though unlikely..but the best dreams are usually both those.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Ideally, for me only, the best offseason we could have involved a trade of KG to LA for a package centered around Bledsoe and Jordan, a trade of Pierce to either Chicago (for package around Boozer and Mirotic's rights) or Dallas (for Marion and their lotto pick, possibly also involving Jae Crowder), then flipping Rondo for Noel and bad contracts.

Then we try to move up in the draft with the #16 and other assets, or trade our pick for a 2014 pick, or draft a high potential guy who falls at number 16.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
My god that is a lot of text, and not the easiliest to follow. Lotta ideas there. TP for the effort.

I would say your dreams are good ones, though unlikely..but the best dreams are usually both those.

Thanks for the encouragement, and yes it's a crazy long rant, editing on the iPad is hard to master but ill try and edit and re organize it  into something easy to follow.

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think Noel needs a lot of weight before he is ready to play C in the NBA.   206 lbs. is just too light.

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I don't think you'd need to send Green out to Sac along with Jordan to get Cousins. Also I don't think you could any ways. With Green,Jordan,AB, thats almost 20 mill in sal, and only sending out 5 mill.

Send out Jordan,AB and Melo, and get Cousins and a bad contract might work better. Jordan is some ting Sac might like because he's not the head case Cousins is, but still a name.

Other than that interesting...