Author Topic: Rondo for Noel is starting to make a lot of sense to me ......  (Read 8731 times)

Re: Rondo for Noel is starting to make a lot of sense to me ......
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2013, 09:05:44 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Hell no...

You'd want to trade for a Center whose frame may or may not allow him to bulk up more? The most I'll ever see him become is a weaker Tyson Chandler...

Rondo is the face of the franchise to me... Once Pierce/KG leaves, its his team without a question. Not to mention Ainge loves him, and so does Doc. I highly doubt the acquisition of Noel is that mouth watering that DA would bite.

Our 16th pick should either be used as a package or filler for a better pick if we want to move up.

I'm telling you guys drafting Gorgui Dieng is a low risk high reward type of player. If we want someone who can instantly provide 10-20 minutes of solid playing then draft him.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2013, 09:18:37 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I'd rather have the rights to the Detroit and Portland picks.

Also, Charlotte already traded its 1st this year to Chicago, but it is heavily protected.  Can Charlotte even trade the pick given that?

Actually the traded the pick next season, top-10 protected.

Basically they can trade Noel, but they can't trade the 1st pick, so any trade would need to be a draft-night transaction.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2013, 09:30:52 AM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
Lol....um no

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2013, 09:40:21 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I'm telling you right now a KG,Sully,Noel front line rotation would be absolutely beastly .

Strongly doubt they would be "beastly". Way too many question marks with KG's age (37), Sullinger's back, and Noel's lack of bulk. In fact, during the combine ESPN had their roundtable (Jay Williams, Chad Ford, Fran Fraschilla, Tom Penn) discussing Noel and the consensus was that he is simply not ready to handle the size and physical play, at this stage of his career, at the NBA level. Not to mention that Noel himself said that he is expecting to return from his knee injury around Christmas time. So with the lack of summer league and training camp I expect the first season to be a lost one for Noel.

Yeah, I don't think Noel would do all that much his rookie year. I am expecting only around 20 minutes per game with 5-6 points and 4-5 rebounds per game. Plus a block.

I think it'll probably be his 2nd or more likely 3rd year before Noel is ready to be a major force on the floor. Play 30-35 minutes a night and be a top defensive player and possession creator.

All of which means he is perfect to enter a full blown rebuilding process around. First building block with at least another two top five picks likely to follow if the team is taken apart. Team would be in a strong position by that point with the picks, assets gained by dumping vets and cap space.

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2013, 09:42:08 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'd rather have the rights to the Detroit and Portland picks.

Also, Charlotte already traded its 1st this year to Chicago, but it is heavily protected.  Can Charlotte even trade the pick given that?

Actually the traded the pick next season, top-10 protected.

Basically they can trade Noel, but they can't trade the 1st pick, so any trade would need to be a draft-night transaction.
No way they'd trade Noel in a move that might make them good enough to lose their pick next year.

They have committed to tanking for another year.

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2013, 09:44:57 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
There are other teams in the lottery that the c's could make a deal with , we will find out tonight who has what pick.

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2013, 10:30:07 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
One thing that hasn't been brought up is what Rondo brings to a team from a business end:

He's a very exciting player, who puts butts in seats, sells jerseys, and makes people watch.

Add what he can do positively for a team as far as wins, with his still unreached potential and I think you could sell it to Charlotte.

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2013, 10:32:25 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
Personally, I wouldn't do it though. Just way too risky for so many different reasons.

Instead, I lock Rondo in a soundproof dungeon and force him to watch nothing but Tony Parker tape.

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2013, 10:58:50 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
One thing that hasn't been brought up is what Rondo brings to a team from a business end:

He's a very exciting player, who puts butts in seats, sells jerseys, and makes people watch.

Add what he can do positively for a team as far as wins, with his still unreached potential and I think you could sell it to Charlotte.
I don't think he does that any better than Noel would if at all. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2013, 11:08:42 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

Guys #8 in jersey sales on a team with marquee superstars, and he's an absolute delight to watch on the floor. And if you're talking about a potential landing spot like Charlotte you're talking about a fan base that is starving for an exciting, proven commodity. 

If Nerlens Noel pans out, he's still years away from approaching what Rondo can do for a business (and for a basketball team)

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2013, 11:16:46 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Guys #8 in jersey sales on a team with marquee superstars, and he's an absolute delight to watch on the floor. And if you're talking about a potential landing spot like Charlotte you're talking about a fan base that is starving for an exciting, proven commodity. 

If Nerlens Noel pans out, he's still years away from approaching what Rondo can do for a business (and for a basketball team)
Boston is also a large market and Rondo is the face of the franchise on a team where its two better players PP and KG have been for awhile so the jersey sale market for them is much smaller (as in people already have them).  I think it has very much yet to be determined what Rondo's draw actually is.  I don't think he moves the needle much at all as scorers historically tend to do that.  Great passers just haven't been needle movers throughout the league unless they were also scorers.  I mean even Kidd in his hey day didn't do much in that regard.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2013, 11:28:44 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
I think you're underrating the appeal of Rondo.